Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

smf, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »
Re: Simple wishlist for next AmigaOS
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@hotrod

DVI works on my philips 24" monitor. Not sure why it will not work for you.

I think the 68k emulation that os4 has is good enough. Think they should focus on the path ahead.

Quote:

hotrod wrote:
What I want are bugfixes first so here we go:

1. DVI must work with my P2350 Samsung screen! Thankfully it got VGA too but that's not good enough.

EDIT: 10. How could I forget? It needs to be able to run old games/software! I'm using RunInUAE which I love but some solution should be included with the OS I think.

EDIT2: 11. It's important to me to able to use HDMI on the graphics card.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Antique

Good for you, I use Windows, Linux or MacOS X instead .

What does 68k emulation got to do with runing old OCS/AGA games? I'm talking about the option to have RunInUAE or similar included as a contribution or something like that.

Do you think that you are funny? I mean really? Maybe you should spend the friday evening as a stand up comedian instead of writing lame comments here.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@hotrod

WTF?

THe hell is your problem?

Won't lower myself to your level,sorry.

Including uae into os4 is way to much work i think. Probably a hard and consuming task.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Antique

I can ask you the same question, you didn't have any point at all other than trying to be funny on my account, so what's your problem?

I have not said that they shall implement UAE into AOS! Can you stop making things up?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@hotrod

Then you have to re read what i wrote over and over again.
I mentioned it worked here,so i had no idea why it didnt work for you. Also commented on the runinuae stuff..... Sooooooo....

Quote:
I can ask you the same question, you didn't have any point at all other than trying to be funny on my account, so what's your problem?

Sounds something like uae to me........ Well,what do i know,i'm just a stupid norwegian.

Quote:

I'm talking about the option to have RunInUAE or similar included as a contribution or something like that.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Antique

Yes I can read and I don't give a f*** if it works for you or 95% of the users, it doesn't work for me! Also why would I care if it works for you? In what way does that help me?

And yes you figured something out regarding UAE all by yourself and your own conclusions.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Only 3 items:

#1 Boots off CD and hard drive everytime on all supported systems.
I don't want a repeat of the MicroA1 AmigaOS 4.1 Update 1 fiasco where we had a horribly unstable system until we disabled some USB ports.

#2 Choice of default disk and drawer icons or maybe icon sets ...
For example, if I choose OS4.0 look and feel, I would like to see disk and drawer icons like the ones from OS4.0 July 2007 Update.

#3 Support for other printers, for example EPSON STYLUS CX4800.

---
redfox

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
Major:

- Java
- Flash
- Hardware OpenGL support for Radeon cards
- Dual core/XMOS support for X1000 owners

Minor:

- More hardware accelerated and optimized OS for Radeon 9000 and HD, G3,G4,and EP440/460 CPUs

- Bundled Timberwolf and OpenOffice for Kids as free and basic productivity tools

- MUI4 native to catch up with MOS and improve
MUI look

- RadeonHD and more GFX cards drivers (NVidia, Matrox)

- Sound card drivers that support DSP chips and advanced features (ASYNCIO?)

- USB Scanner and Laser printer drivers (HP, Cannon)

- Boot up time optimization (user edits of startup sequence proved it possible)

- Full FAT32 and NTFS read/write support for removable devices and hard drives

- Improved JXFS and Amiga File Systems, smart write (self defragmentation) feature to oprimize hard drive acess

- Memory managment and flushing optimization, further virtual memory improvements

- InstallerNG, Glue U-UAE with KS 1.3 and KS 3.1/CD32 for full OS 3.x compatibility built in

Yeah I'm with you on having A full FLASH and JAVA implimentation into AmigaOS 4.x. I don't pretend to understanding programing because I don't, but I really can't understand why GNASH port to AmigaOS4.x ended up being to slow to use but I would like to know why? Is it a hardware limitation or is Gnash not a very good flash solution ie. Is it bloatware, not lean enough for nimble software like AmigaOS4.x? I use a HTML5 solution on MorphOS for Youtube video in OWB and although its good it is still slow and loses audio and video syncronisation sometimes. All I know is AmigaOS4.x can't wait for the internet to convert to HTML5 and for Flash to disappear which I believe it won't because Adobe will hardly surrender that easy!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Fairdinkem

Flash is a plugin for web browsers and not something that needs or should be included with the OS, other than with a web browser in the extras/contributions drawer IMHO.

My wishlist for the OS would include:

1. USB2/3 hardware support.

2. Support for multiple cores for the X1000.

3. Streamlined prefs with some prefs programs done away with or combined

4. MUI4 - not a great MUI fan, but seems to be a barrier for software coming over from MorphOS. MorphOS have some applications worth having, that should really be quite easy for developers to bring over and mainatain on both platforms.

5. Multi-user system - personally I quite enjoy not having this and is not of much interest to me, but is a must have these days really. I don't particularly like the way Linux and other OS do this now, would be nice to see a new/better approach/original way of doing for this in OS4.

6. Support for some newer (and more widely available) graphics card (but know this is on its way already).

7. An enhanced trashcan, something like the third party GlobalTrash maybe.

8. Some new datatypes and enhanced MultiView, e.g. controls for browsing through drawers of pictures/scaling of images to fit screen, etc.

Edited by Daniel on 2010/10/16 10:38:56
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daniel

I understand your perspective, I guess I want the feature of flash to become fully supported on AmigaOS4.x platform because multimedia internet use is heavily used right throughout the internet and the use of Java also. I cant properly use my Hotmail account with any browser under OS4.x yes I could setup YAM or similar but it would be much more convienient to use a browser as I use multiple computers and operating systems but I would use AmigaOS4.x if I had this feature at my disposal amoung others.

I also like your suggestions I think they are very welcome additions to AmigaOS4.x.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris Quote:
I've brought this up in the past but for some reason everybody else seems to love DefIcons. Oh well.

I never used DefIcons before OS4, because DOpus5 did it all for me. DefIcons took some getting used to, and it could certainly be improved. In particular the Prefs program is horrible for new users (just ask DAX!) :

It's not at all obvious that double-clicking on a filetype in the list will open/create the filetype icon, when single-clicking it is needed to edit the filetype definition. There should be some "Edit default icon" button at the very least, but it would be even better (and quite easy) to (1) show the icon of the default icon (perhaps double click to edit it?), and (2) show & allow editing the Default Tool of the icon. Then it's usage would be SO much more obvious.

I've often lamented the inability to modify DefIcon definitions from a script, so I have to leave it to the user (OpenWinURL in particular had no installer because installation is mostly about setting-up DefIcons correctly).

Quote:
Actually I don't like DefIcons at all. It would have been better to expand datatypes.library's file identification support

Quote:
I could also do with a system-wide reliable way of translating local file types to MIME types, but that's just me

Datatypes work well for identification, but they have a specific purpose (translation of data), and so cannot be easily expanded by the user, thus Datatypes should be left to do what they do best.

What we need is a filetype identificatoin layer over Datatypes, which uses Datatypes where possible, but which can be expanded to identify (but not translate) filetypes that are not supported by Datatypes (yet). DefIcons would actually work well in this regard, if only it was expanded to allow using Datatypes like DOpus5 did.

MIME type identification could (and should) be easily built into DefIcons or whatever replaces it.

Edited by ChrisH on 2010/10/16 10:16:00
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH
I can certainly confirm that :)
DefIcons is a nightmare

At the moment changing the default "handler" for a single file is quite easy in the info panel, at least a check box right there that says "use this program for all files of the same type" would be great.

Then those files could use the default system icon for that file type, without having the (new)user fiddle too much.

@Antique
It would seem you don't know that RunInUae already integrates UAE into OS4, it's no work at all for Hyperion, they just need to include it as a contribution (with ChrisH permission of course).

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@DAX

A bit offtopic, but: How RunInUAE check, what 68k binary runs over Petunia (which are better thatn EUAE in terms of emulation of 68k code), and that is 68k binary are used chipsets, and run it over the UAE ?

For me it looks like as a bitt mess, and including it to AOS will confusing a bit (also EUAE itself are buggy still).

For me also the only one solution for integrating of full 68k emulation : It's should all be done by hyperion, i.e. writing or integrating these parts to petunia from uae, which emulate chipsets and other classic amiga HW. Or integrate petunia to EUAE and integrated EUE for all the 68k apps => so all 68k binaries will use only one handler, which will do what should to do, without all that mess.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e
well if hyperion would do it why not, but it has been said many times how resources are limited and their time is better spent at modernizing the OS, so the first thing that should be done (by a third party) would be to further improve our version of UAE.

Who did our current E-UAE port? and... is there any chance for a newer improved version any time in the future?

As for your question, right now RunInUae handles ADF, WHDLoads and HD installation moved from your classic to OS4, if you happen to have a Catweasel (or if you "mount" the floppy image in a virtual df0:) those disks will be handled by petunia.
Which is good as what you will want to do mostly is running games, for everything else, it either run under OS4 just fine (TVpaint, Lightwave 3D etc.) or there are better OS4 native version avaialble (or there are better OS4 native alternatives anyway).

An "exeption list" (for what should be handled with which) is also possible acording to Simone Bevilacqua (author of GlUae another nice integration software).

Anyway, if there is "will", there will be solutions for any problem.

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e Quote:
A bit offtopic, but: How RunInUAE check, what 68k binary runs over Petunia (which are better thatn EUAE in terms of emulation of 68k code), and that is 68k binary are used chipsets, and run it over the UAE ?

I think I already answered this question of yours some months ago! And if you used RunInUAE then you would know the answer! But anyway:

RunInUAE does *not* know about chipsets/etc, it just looks if an executable is 68k or not. If it is then it asks the user if they want to run it UAE, and saves this answer for next time (so it only asks you once!). Drop the program icon on the RunInUAE window if you want to change your choice

Quote:
so all 68k binaries will use only one handler, which will do what should to do, without all that mess.

That would not work for most games, unless you run them in an emulated machine (i.e. via UAE). And doing that has BIG memory & cpu overheads. I don't like that idea for simple 68k programs like HTTPResume, nor heavy-duty non-games like IBrowse.

@DAX Quote:
An "exeption list" (for what should be handled with which) is also possible acording to Simone Bevilacqua

I decided against such a solution, because it would require a HUGE database of "program signatures", covering all possible versions of every program. And most likely half your programs/games would still not be in that database!

I have no problem with Simone taking the difficult route if he wants to (*), but I prefer the simple & elegant route of letting the user tell the computer what they want to run in UAE.

(* = he already seems to have taken the difficult route of writing custom UAE config scripts for some games, something which I disagree with for the similar reasons.)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

By this questions, i just trying to point, that RunInUAE its solutions not for everyone, and include it to the OS are not so good deal. Personally i like glUAE more, just because of totall simplicifyty (2 scripts only). Nothing asks, nothing saves, you just setup as you want your game/app, and run it by dbl-click. RunInUAE are smart too much (that all imho of course). When i trying to install it few weeks ago (last version) i was really annoed by all that questions about kickstarts, amiforevers CDS and alt. For me better just copy 2 scripts (very possible that not only for me).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Fairdinkem

RE: Why is Flash so slow on X, Y and Z?

Because it is, simple as that really. Its CPU-intensive on every system that it runs on that isn't MS Windows which I believe includes a lot more hardware acceleration. Adobe only recently added limited hardware acceleration to the Mac version.

Slow Flash playback is not something that is solely a problem for AmigaOS and MorphOS its a fundamental problem with the software itself.

Why you think Apple have effectively banned it on all its mobile devices? It reduces the battery-life considerably - fact.

HTML5 is on the way and others have stated Flash is a browser-plugin anyway not part of the OS which is true.

As for Java...? I don't think I have ever used a Java application that ISN'T slow so I definitely wouldn't call it top priority.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e Quote:
When i trying to install it few weeks ago (last version) i was really annoed by all that questions about kickstarts, amiforevers CDS and alt. For me better just copy 2 scripts

That is a very poor comparison, and sadly I have to think less of you for even making such a foolish remark, when you should know better . No way can you "just copy 2 scripts" and expect glUAE to magically work:

* E-UAE requires installing.
* Kickstart & OS3.x requires installing.
* E-UAE must be configured to use Kickstart & OS3.x.

RunInUAE's installer can do all this for you (and more!), at the expense of a FEW questions, so you don't have to (nor even learn how to). If you think doing all that manually is easier than clicking a few Yes/No buttons, then my mind boggles...

Then you have to get E-UAE to start each game. RunInUAE automatically intercepts double-clicking on your games, no need to edit cryptic scripts. Again, this is a lot less effort.

I have no problem if you wish to take the difficult route, but please don't make misleading statements that suggest this is actually easier. For example, I prefer to install OS4 programs manually, rather than use installation scripts, but I do not pretend this is easier!

EDIT: To be honest, I am getting pretty tired of your anti-RunInUAE crusade. Don't like RunInUAE? Fine! But please don't bring it up in random threads! Want to debate RunInUAE vs glUAE? Fine, but please start a proper thread about it. I've asked you to do this several times before, but you ignore my requests & keep repeating your behaviour instead. I did have a good opinion of you for your porting efforts, but this kind of behaviour really ruins that opinion.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Common, chill-out :) I just say that i personally not want to have runinuae in the OS, and explain why.

Quote:

RunInUAE's installer can do all this for you (and more!), at the expense of a FEW questions, so you don't have to (nor even learn how to). If you think doing all that manually is easier than clicking a few Yes/No buttons, then my mind boggles...

What about the last thread, where user fucked up the system (!) when he tryed to install runinuae ? For sure, its not what we can call "user-friendly and easy install".

Quote:

I have no problem if you wish to take the difficult route, but please don't make misleading statements that suggest this is actually easier. For example, I prefer to install OS4 programs manually, rather than use installation scripts, but I do not pretend this is easier!

Users should know, that there is more than one solution. And for some it will be better solution. And there is nothing bad. Just all should know it.

If you really in interest and want, i can start a topic, where i can explain why RunInUAE not good (and for who). But you will get it as personall attack looks like, so better just forget about imho.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e and @ChrisH

Guys I've read both your posts over the past weeks on AW.net on various topics, don't let that place corrupt your mind, posters on Amigans do appreciate your constructive and civil manner and continuation in bringing new software and game ports (kas1e).

I understand your both passionate about OS4 so lets keep that mind, we are all on the same side on this forum.

Kas1e likes GlUAE thats fine, ChrisH likes RunInUAE and thats fine also.

Some backwards compatible in OS4 is nice, but lets think beyond the 1990s.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »