Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »
Re: Simple wishlist for next AmigaOS
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

I imagine that once X1000 & Sam460 are released to public (i.e. OS4 is finished for them), then Hyperion can concentrate on improving AmigaOS4 again. It *looks* to me that OS4 development has slowed while they work on those, although I'd love to be told I am wrong.

I think you are right. From other side, when they (core devs) adapt os for x1000/sam460, they for sure catch many bugs which they fixed for all versions of os at all. So in general i hope that new "update" should be soon (but i can be wrong of course :) )

Quote:

From what has been said in public, it sounds like they *might* work on SMP (multi-core support) for X1000, although I think they'd do better porting Gallium (new OpenGL) to OS4, since it would benefit nearly all users (as you say).

We as usual can only speculating, but i think that everything now on the adaptation, and work on SMP are not started. Maybe few fixed there and there (like some new addons to ASL req and alt), and of course new drivers by Hanz are major change(for which i think also some changes in OS was done by core-team, to make it better by performance). Speed tests of quake2 in SW rendering show pretty good speed of drivers, and we can hope already that 3D which will works over than new drivers will fast and good.

Quote:

As far as smaller things go, I think we can pretty much guess that USB2 will get finished (if not already), and it would seem daft if they didn't debug FAT support (for memory sticks & USB HDs). Those are two obvious problems for many users.

Yeah. I also in hope that new shell will at last released. Not that KCON are too bad, but i just in high interest what it will be (because of 3 years of developing). Tons of features and such (i hope:) ).

Quote:

Apart from that, I hope they'll find some time to make a usable version of Timberwolf,

I think that with x1000, will be release of stable FF :) That for sure can attract new blood. But from other side, i heard somethere (again speculation), just Trevor say that x1000 oriented on the old freaks, and not on new blood (but i can be wrong of course).

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Anonymous
@Chris

Compiled list, after some further additions would be nice to be sent in aminans.net name

MAJOR

memory protection -- this above all else! Better memory protection, like enforced MEMF_PRIVATE flag (or a new such flag) would be very welcome too.

much better openGL support; improved 3D performance

Stable USB 2.0 device support

Normal OpenGL, Acceleted and Full supported OpenGL 2 (DirectX if possible) / Hardware OpenGL support for Radeon cards

transition to a more modern printing backend to support newer printers/scanners; more intuitive printer setup utility, USB Scanner and Laser printer drivers (HP, Cannon)

support for NTFS (and ext2, if possible) / Full FAT32 and NTFS read/write support for removable devices and hard drives

rework preferences (consolidate, remove, focus on UI, etc.)

Java and Flash (even free solution like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Jav ... ementations#Class_library
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Scr ... oject#Open_Screen_Project

Dual core/XMOS support for X1000 owners

Minor:

Fully HW accelerate Cairo and add HW acceleration to gfx.library (where worthwhile)

will be cool to have WB in develop more, will be cool to have prefs organized better, will be cool to have some visual modern effects for amidock when you browse over it , will be cool to have GDB working normally" and so o

an OS4 website, including links to popular apps

a well-written manual 1. an OS4 website, including links to popular apps
a well-written manual

More hardware accelerated and optimized OS for Radeon 9000 and HD, G3,G4,and EP440/460 CPUs

Finished and Bundled Timberwolf and OpenOffice for Kids as free and basic productivity tools

MUI4 native to catch up with MOS and improve
MUI look

RadeonHD and more GFX cards drivers (NVidia, Matrox)

Sound card drivers that support DSP chips and advanced features (ASYNCIO?)

- Boot up time optimization (user edits of startup sequence proved it possible)

Improved JXFS and Amiga File Systems, smart write (self defragmentation) feature to oprimize hard drive acess

Memory managment and flushing optimization, further virtual memory improvements

Glue U-UAE with KS 1.3 and KS 3.1/CD32 for full OS 3.x compatibility built in / bundle RunInUAE OR something easy and simple as AmigaForever and Amikit

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@vox

Add this to your list:

http://os4depot.net/filedata/snapshot/6003_2_snap.jpg

http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... workbench/prefscenter.lha

A prefs center!

And...

http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... pshot/display&fileid=5993

Granite... a firewall application just requires a worthy looking GUI. Edit: No idea if Roadshow is the default OS 4.1 TCP/IP Stack? Perhaps someone can elaborate...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@djrikki

Quote:
Granite... a firewall application just requires a worthy looking GUI.

Can you elaborate more ? What's wrong in the GUI ?

Quote:
No idea if Roadshow is the default OS 4.1 TCP/IP Stack? Perhaps someone can elaborate...

Yes, Roadshow TCP/IP stack is integrated into the AmigaOS version 4+.

(Edit: Maybe it's not my job to comment...)

@kas1e
I forgot one word from my post and it is priorities. Mesa port have been in their roadmap since the beginning. Priorities. (What is even more important than the important one... Plus lack of resources.) And this was a wish list anyway. I understand people want to play TuxKart with high FPS.

Edited by TSK on 2010/10/12 1:44:00
Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@vox

As Kicko said earlier, forget about MUI4. The authors of this closed-source software refuse to allow it to be ported to OS4.

Case closed.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

RE: The interface.

Its text-only. It needs an extra column to the left containing a program icon corresponding to the application running.

Okay so current Amigans can probably go without such 'eye-candy', but its pretty common to see a small icon representing an application within interfaces as well - and the point behind any future AmigaOS is to of course attract new customers otherwise whats the point?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw Quote:
As Kicko said earlier, forget about MUI4. The authors of this closed-source software refuse to allow it to be ported to OS4.

Case closed.

Not QUITE so simple as that: The original author (Stefan) appears to have once been interested & willing to port MUI4 to OS4. But that was a few years ago, and things may have gotten better or worse since then - and without a response from him we can't know.

It's true that some others who have updated MUI4 code after Stefan do not seem to want MUI4 to be ported to AmigaOS3 or AmigaOS4, but that shouldn't stop Stefan porting an old version of MUI4 (before others updated it).

Also, I guess that main reason for objecting to a port of MUI4 is they don't want to see Ambient (MorphOS's open sourced Workbench replacement) ported to other OSes. I can understand that, and personally would not object to MUI4 coming with a "license" that prevented it from being used with/for Ambient.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Anonymous
@ChrisH

Could it be simple reason its another MUI and so far MUI was offered for all AmigaOS`s and still a bit important comonent. Sure, it can help porting, and that is a bonus, but it will not leave MorphOS empty of its aduts.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I hope there'll be a new AmigaOS release (4.2) in time for the X1000 launch.
The updates are of course welcome, but Hyperion aren't making any money out
of them. My Micro is gathering dust at the moment, due to it won't boot from
harddisk anymore.

About the subject of this topic 'Simple' wishlist. I think the demands are
set quite high, Java etc. I doubt we will see such 'big stuff'.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
I wonder if people are still going to go on and on (yes it's getting very boring and repetitive) about a MUI 4 port 5 years from now. If people had been updating something like Zune instead of whining for a port for the last few years then this wouldn't have been a problem any more.

This 'community' certainly needs more doers than talkers.

Edited by orgin on 2010/10/13 9:39:18
Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I believe that the first thing of the next AOS edition, is that Workbench has to be replaced with something like Ambient or improve (e.g. dual listing, avi priviews etc) Filer and integrate it to the system.

Secondly drivers must materialize and improved: especially USB 2.0, drivers for new and faster ATI with full 3D support and a new range of supported wifi cards.

Minigl (or whatever equal we have) must also be improved.

I would like also a classic environment ready to run out-of-the-box, since Hyperion has acquired kick roms and OS3.x.

Go to top
Anonymous
@Cool_amigaN

It was not meant to be simple addons, but simply presented ... about 23 points what users would like to have.

HIGH PRIORITY (10 points)

1/drivers : especially USB 2.0, drivers for new and faster ATI with full 3D support and a new range of supported wifi cards.

2.much better openGL support; improved 3D performance Hardware OpenGL support for Radeon cards

3. Stable USB 2.0 device support

4.memory protection -- this above all else! Better memory protection, like enforced MEMF_PRIVATE flag (or a new such flag) would be very welcome too.

5.classic environment ready to run out-of-the-box, since Hyperion has acquired kick roms and OS
Glue U-UAE with KS 1.3 and KS 3.1/CD32 for full OS 3.x compatibility built in / bundle RunInUAE OR something easy and simple as AmigaForever and Amikit

6.an OS4 website, including links to popular apps

7. a well-written manual 1. an OS4 website, including links to popular apps
a well-written manual

8. transition to a more modern printing backend to support newer printers/scanners; more intuitive printer setup utility, USB Scanner and Laser printer drivers (HP, Cannon)

9. support for NTFS (and ext2, if possible) / Full FAT32 and NTFS read/write support for removable devices and hard drives

10. Dual core/XMOS support for X1000 owners

APPS,GUI, TWEAKS (4 POINTS)

01.rework preferences (consolidate, remove, focus on UI, etc.)

02. A prefs center
http://os4depot.net/filedata/snapshot/6003_2_snap.jpg

http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... workbench/prefscenter.lha

03. will be cool to have WB in develop more, will be cool to have prefs organized better, will be cool to have some visual modern effects for amidock when you browse over it , will be cool to have GDB working normally" and so o

04.Granite

http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... pshot/display&fileid=5993

Granite... a firewall application just requires a worthy looking GUI.

LESS LIKELY BUT BIG UPDATES WISHLIST (9 POINTS)

01. Fully HW accelerate Cairo and add HW acceleration to gfx.library (where worthwhile)

02.Normal OpenGL, Acceleted and Full supported OpenGL 2 (DirectX if possible)

03. Java

04. Flash
Java and Flash (even free solution like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Jav ... ementations#Class_library
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Scr ... oject#Open_Screen_Project

05.More hardware accelerated and optimized OS for Radeon 9000 and HD, G3,G4,and EP440/460 CPUs

06.MUI4 native to catch up with MOS and improve
MUI look

07.RadeonHD and more GFX cards drivers (NVidia, Matrox)

08.Sound card drivers that support DSP chips and advanced features (ASYNCIO?)

09.Sound card drivers that support DSP chips and advanced features (ASYNCIO?)

Go to top
Anonymous
@vox

And Cool`s WB Improvement:
Workbench has to be replaced with something like Ambient or improve (e.g. dual listing, avi priviews etc) Filer and integrate it to the system.

You can already see what for users would be good enough - even for up to OS 5.0

Mind that 4.2. would have to be new paid version probably, and would like to see at last some of those features. For X1000/RadeonHD drivers 4.1.3. would be enough

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cool_amigaN

If you like Ambient way don?t you use MorphOS? That?s my question.

I like Workbench and that?s way I use it, as I see it workbench need to be updated.

Def icons problems:

* Install scripts can?t update the default application for def icons.
* It?s hard to configure it, most users don?t understand it.
* Its only possible to have one application per def icon, it?s not where flexible
* It?s is too easy to make mistakes whit the result of broken def icons.

One more thing I love to see it way to view files as picture gallery.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
* Install scripts can?t update the default application for def icons.

Yes they can, with (tooltype (setdefaulttool)). Installer tip #28

What they can't do is add new filetypes to the DefIcons database.

I could also do with a system-wide reliable way of translating local file types to MIME types, but that's just me

Actually I don't like DefIcons at all. It would have been better to expand datatypes.library's file identification support (perhaps an extra database or non-iconed files in devs:datatypes, to avoid clutter with descriptors that do have datatypes associated with them), and use DataTypes as the global file identification hook.

You can also do some clever things with descriptors as you can write C code to identify files. Mind you, if the basic file identifaction had a few extra options that wouldn't be necessary. As they are IFF files you can add extra chunks too (that might solve my MIME typing issue without interfering with anything else, there was also a 3rd party datatypes.library which added chunks for different tools for editing, viewing etc - I'm not sure that's the right place but you can see the possibilities), and adding filetypes is as easy as dropping a file in - and the def_file.info of course.

I've brought this up in the past but for some reason everybody else seems to love DefIcons. Oh well.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
dual listing

What is dual listing and why it's so important to you personally ?

Quote:
avi priviews

Is this avi preview so important ? Would it be better if it displayed the cover picture instead ?

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

Quote:
This 'community' certainly needs more doers than talkers.

Sometimes I can feel that way too.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
everybody else seems to love DefIcons

Better than nothing.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

Yes they can, with (tooltype (setdefaulttool)). Installer tip #28

What they can't do is add new filetypes to the DefIcons database.

That?s what I was trying to say, in not so elegant way.

Quote:
I could also do with a system-wide reliable way of translating local file types to MIME types, but that's just me

I agree.

Quote:
Actually I don't like DefIcons at all. It would have been better to expand datatypes.library's file identification support (perhaps an extra database or non-iconed files in devs:datatypes, to avoid clutter with descriptors that do have datatypes associated with them), and use DataTypes as the global file identification hook.

Datatypes aren?t a program that?s the problem so to speak, but yes the datatype system can be used to identify, if a file is a picture, animation or audio file, (the datatype system does not currently support movies) in order to associate whit a database over application that has datatype support and can open this file types.

If a application database where made, then applications need to able to automatically add them self to the database, by user confirmation, it also need to be way to script this if needed for application that?s too old, or does not have datatype support directly.

Quote:
I've brought this up in the past but for some reason everybody else seems to love DefIcons. Oh well.

The idea that one can customize what application to open a file is not bad, by tool type application, but there really needs to be an more abstract alternate behavior for icons too when that is preferred.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

TSK wrote:
@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
dual listing

What is dual listing and why it's so important to you personally ?

Quote:
avi priviews

Is this avi preview so important ? Would it be better if it displayed the cover picture instead ?

Hello

I first encountered dual listing with DOpus. It "cuts" the screen horizontally or vertically allowing you to browse on two or more locations of your HDs. Moreover, in the last incarnation of DOpus for Windows, that I am using, you have tabbed dual listing. That means that you have access in several locations one click away. With a high resolution, I have more than 10 pin pointed locations 1 sec away, without messing with my desktop.

I believe it helps organize browsing and save time when have to deal with much data.

Image that you have 8 partitions or 8 drawers with 3 genres of music, 2 drawers with games (native and whdload), 1 drawer with movies, another with home video files, your images/photos splitted in 2 locations, and any other data that you may use. If you try to access them you will have a wb messed with several Filers. But if you had tabbed dual listing, almost any location would be a click away, fully organized.

Please note also, that many avi files, start with a blank (black) frame. The cover would be equally black as well.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »