Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
sam
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I would like to see it availible as a complete setup. As long as it isn't over priced like the AmigaOne systems

Go to top
Re: sam
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
There is already a topic about the SAM440 but
i have to admit it is not always ontopic.

SAM topic.

Edited by Dirk-B on 2006/12/6 12:41:42
A1G3-SE + OS4.1 u1 iso (x2)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

ALL new Amiga HW will overpriced ,compare to other
systems .. this is the reality.
If you buy 10k board .. maybe the price go down .. good luck.

R-TEAM

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Ian-uk

Well, you have the choice.

Buy one early that is expensive or wait
till the consumer version comes around.

Edit: changed name

Edited by Dirk-B on 2006/12/6 12:38:23
Edited by Dirk-B on 2006/12/6 12:40:59
A1G3-SE + OS4.1 u1 iso (x2)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

well..i have realy no problem with the price
I wish i can buy a OS4 HW with Power5+ MulticoreChip Module ;)

But i think Ian-uk have the illusion the new amiga HW
is in the same price/power range as actual PC/MAC ..
This will not happen .. the difference will BIG !
If you dont accept this .. OS4 is the wrong way for you ..

R-TEAM

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@R-TEAM

Do you have any idea how much it will cost? I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Helge

This doesn't answer your question, but here is their site:
http://www.acube-systems.biz/

Any $amount that is quoted now is sure to be changed when they get into production.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Helge

Look here

Quote:
...without OS4 is max Euro 350

I think you can find in this thread that you have to add VAT to this price.

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@mr2

Thanks! 350 EUR doesn't sound too shabby, really. That price ROCKS actually!

How much do I have to spend for a copy of OS4.0? Will it be bundled with SAM or made available separately? Can I use the same Cdrom to install OS4.0 on a Cyberstom PPC?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Helge

The same thread

Quote:
Target price for the 667 Mhz, 256Mb ram including OS4 is Euro 450 + local taxes.

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@mr2

That's a fair price. Vista costs much more... well... Vista has these nice glass-effects and an integrated firewall, but still...

So does it come bundled with SAM? Can I buy SAM without OS4 if I intend to... maybe first use Linux and later decide to start with OS4?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Helge

I'd imagine that it will come with OS4 as soon as it reaches Amiga dealers.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rob

I hope they will sort of the OS4-license soon! Maybe selling SAM without a license and OS4 should still be an option for the product launch in Q1 2007?

Only sad if license talks fail. Everyone will be stuck with Linux.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi All,

I think that only industrial clientele will be able to buy Samantha without AOS4.x CDs.

It would completely defeat the premise of why licensing was created if AOS4.x capable MBs were available for general sale, and AOS4.x was COMPLETELY optional. Sales would be near non-existent (is my view).

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:
I think that only industrial clientele will be able to buy Samantha without AOS4.x CDs.

I hope that everyone will be able to buy Samantha, even without AOS4.x CDs. Why?
Because there are people who want to run Linux and other OS on Samantha instead of AOS4.x. I know some people who are interested in PPC, but not in AmigaOS. Samantha is a great board for them!
They will sell more Samantha mainboards this way which can only be a good thing: The people behind the Samantha will get more profits, because more units are sold. More units sold means that larger production runs can be made, lowering prices of Samantha.
This means that more people will buy it and also that OS4 will be more widespread and a bigger success after all.
Why not give the people behind Samantha the possibility to greater economic success? They took great risks with this venture of bringing us new hardware!

I think ACube should offer a bundled and non-bundled version of Samantha to !!!all!!! consumers!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Helge,

If it's optional, then they won't be inclined to pay for it.

If Hyperion Entertainment knows someone is using a pirated copy of AOS4.x, what can they do about it?

The music industry can't even sue people that have 100 entire music albums on their hard drive, illegally!

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Hi Helge,

If it's optional, then they won't be inclined to pay for it.

Why should they pay for it if they don't want it? As I said, there are PPC-freaks out there who are primarily interested in OS like Linux, Solaris and such, but NOT in AmigaOS.
They would never buy a Samantha when they have to pay $175 extra for an OS they don't want. Simple, isn't it?
Would you still buy your weekly pack of $3 Kellogg's Frosties when it would cost you $8 instead, only because they package it together with a pink plastic spoon?

Samantha will be more successful when it is also made available to non-Amiga people. Industry, embedded applications, but also the Linux, BSD, Solaris on PPC freaks. And the mainboard !!has!! some interesting characteristics for these people, low-power, FPGA, ...

They worked !!so!! hard on this mainboard and now you want to tell them that they should only sell it to marginal proportions of potential buyers, thereby making less profits?
I don't understand the logic behind it.

Quote:
If Hyperion Entertainment knows someone is using a pirated copy of AOS4.x, what can they do about it?

Call the keystone kops?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist
@Helge

How about some type of copy protection, for example, you need a UBOOT variable whit vaild OS4 license number to boot AmigaOS4.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Helge
Quote:
I don't understand the logic behind it.

There are arguments both ways but in the end it will be a management decision and management decisions rarely, if ever, make any logical sense from my experience. Therefore, I guess they will be sold bundled just because that makes the least amount of sense.

Let's just wait and see what happens. No point in getting all excited until product is actually shipping.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ssolie

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
There are arguments both ways but in the end it will be a management decision and management decisions rarely, if ever, make any logical sense from my experience. Therefore, I guess they will be sold bundled just because that makes the least amount of sense.

Tell me about it! I am just reading the final chapters of "On the Edge: the Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore" and it's SO FRUSTRATING to see how much engineering-potential got lost by some STUPID management decisions. Hombre, AAA, A3000+ and all this great stuff!! All lost...
Sorry for the shouting, but didn't you feel the same while reading the book?

Let's hope that the same mistakes are not made again.
We need to get our hardware out to the people! Samantha's for everyone! Not !!!only!!! bundling.
"PowerPC for the masses*, not the classes!"

Quote:
Let's just wait and see what happens. No point in getting all excited until product is actually shipping.

Indeed, I should temper my enthusiasm until Amiga Inc. and ACube have agreed on a license. If negotiations fail, I already know who is to blame. Not ACube, that's for sure!

*even the Linux, BSD and Solaris crowd!

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »