Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Java on Amiga
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@billt

Well, for JAmiga, I think there are two main points that needs focus initially:

1. Getting JAmiga to run somewhat stable for Java 1.4
2. Get java 1.5 to run (and eventually 1.6, and then 1.7)

A Java compiler would also be great, but actually not needed to get the first two steps going.

These two steps can be worked on in parallel. I've been in contact with Peter aswell, and he is positive to getting a project group together.

The third point would be to get stuff like AWT and other classes working, and I believe the third step could be worked on, when step 1 is begun, and Jamiga can be run relatively stable.

And, to answer your question: I know Java from a programmers point, but mostly for server programs. But as an Amiga-programmer, AWT would be nice, and network stuff. Classes for sound would be nice aswell, but the implementations of sound stuff that I've seen are often hardware- and OS-dependent, so that might be a bigger step, but other basic stuff would be "relatively" "easy".

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@billt

I'm coding/using Java since 1996. There are probably better Java programmers out there, especially with better inside in the inner workings of Java.

But my 2 cents for how to realize Java on the Amiga is something along this way.

1. Focusing on the VM. The part, which interprets (or makes JIT) compiled Java classes, the bytecode. The important part on this side
is to define a Amiga JNI. I took a solution of the JAmiga project. It's ok for current state of the project, but is nowhere usable for users. I would even suggest to realize the VM as a Amiga Library, and the JNI should somehow even be based upon them.

2. Having a VM and a JNI solution, it would be smart to focus upon the classpath solution. Regardless if GNU or OpenJDK is chosen, now it is just a mater of offering Amiga native libraries, which fits the JNI defined in step 1.

Well that would be my very crude two steps. Nevermind that still a lot of things are missing.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
There are a number of bounties suggested at amigabounty.net now for Java. It's been broken down into a few different sub-bounties to try and make things more reasonable.

Please continue providing any suggestions toward this goal.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I've been working some on JAmiga these last days.

Amongst the things I've done:
* Added OS4 mem allocation routines
* Fixed a few bugs
* Found that jikes, thea Java compiler (on aminet) can be run on OS4.1
* Got the mauve test suit runnning (jikes was required for this)
* Tried the lates GNU classpath, 0.98

For now I'm running the mauve tests and just trying to make it run without JAmiga crashing, its very much trial and error. Basically I'm trying to stabilize JAmiga, still using the old classpath 0.12.

If anyone else is working on this, it'd be great to collaborate, so we don't do things twice. I have local SVN where I check in every change, so I have a log of what has changed compared to the 0.0.5-archive at jamiga.org. If anyone is interested in a real collaboration, I could set up an online SVN.
I have been in contact with Peter W, and the 0.0.5 is the only sources left atm. The CVS at amiga.org only contains abandoned C++ code.

When I have made any real progress I'm thinking of releasing a 0.0.6 or so. But for now I'm just happy having it compiling and crashing.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jaokim

Great and thanks a lot and for this informations

I don't think you will found other programmers because not thousand of the amiga world and much less with java knowledges....

For sure It's a first look and maybe you have your point of view about this subject to share with us ???? (state of the old source, your knowledge about this subject, your free time,....)

Remember there are some bounties about Java and bouties grow if someone take one of these

Edited by Mrodfr on 2010/2/20 17:30:47
A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jaokim
Yes grab a bounty so we can donate some money :) Thank you for the information!!!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jaokim

I think it's awesome somebody is working on Java for Amiga.. I know it's a long road, and maybe it won't work out in the end, but anyway, any progress is good here...

Hope you keep on a little bit... :)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@jaokim

Kudos to you sir! Java on miggy is one of the most important things we need.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Joeled

Quote:

Joeled wrote:
@jaokim
Yes grab a bounty so we can donate some money :) Thank you for the information!!!

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jaokim

Hello!

Congratulations for your efforts on this! It is nice to know work is being done to have Java on the Amiga.

I would like to collaborate on this project, although I recognize I'm far from being an "expert Amiga developer" I think there should be something I may be able to help with.

I'll send you a PM.

Regards,
Efren

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Any news on the java front?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel

Hehe I'll see what I can do once I'm "done" with Qt for Amicygnix.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alfkil

That sounds very nice. Java is quite handy at things.

Quote:

alfkil wrote:
@Raziel

Hehe I'll see what I can do once I'm "done" with Qt for Amicygnix.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I should talk about this to one of my friends who is currently out of job and studying to be a game development professional. He's very capable person and recently he finished JAVA studies, so if he has time he might be interested to help.
(I think I could arrange him AROS box, loand him MosMini and my SAM, if needed. And since he is tight on money, this might enable him to gain a NG Amiga System)
(He's also an ex Amigan that has still Amiga in his heart, but no money for pricey hobby, since his job went to china. He sold his expanded ClassicAmiga box some years ago, now he "only" has some AMithlon CD to play with.)

Lets see....

UPDATE: I forwarded him the available information...

Edited by KimmoK on 2010/7/12 8:18:51
- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@KimmoK

Sounds great!!!! Lets hope he wants to contribute!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alfkil

Yay...one down, thirty-eight to go

Seriously,it would be awesome if another dev is joining to help out jaokim (who is doing a remarkable job as it is)

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@KimmoK
PM sent!
Please make your friend take a look at the Jamiga project and at the suggested bounties at amigabounty.net and of course point him to this thread.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel

As I said: I'll see what I can do. Which might not be much, but at least I'll give it a try

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Nice to see some interest in Java on Amiga!

I'm doing a bit of work here and there, nothing much and very slow. More developers are welcome; it is a nice project to tinker with, since there is a lot to do but yet rather easy to see progress -- it is a high mountain but not unclimbable, and the view is great).

I'm hoping that more people from other Amiga-like OS join in. I'm trying to get an Aros or a OS3.x compile to be able to do work on my laptop, but MorphOS help is also very much welcome. Basically, work for any platform helps all platforms (which is noting but a good thing: lets come together).

Anyone just wanting to try and compile it is very welcome to check out the code and ask questions in the google group.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »