Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 103

Firetail, davec555, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 »
Re: Have you interest to have "putty" for os4 ?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

kas1e wrote:
Will you in interest, to have os4 port of welknown ssh/rlogin/telnet client for all the oses - Putty ? If there will be more than 10-15 users who will be in interest, then i will create a bounty for that and will start to works on it. But for first i need to know: need it for you or not.

Add me to your list of people who would love to see putty ported to OS4.

I use it every day from my laptop and most days from desktop and even from my sam440ep, but I have to rdesktop to my windows server first as at the moment.

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Olrick

Quote:

What I still haven't found is a WinSCP like client.

Do you really need SCP protocol? I use PFTP (Pete's FTP) on AmigaOS 4 as WinSCP "replacement" as SFTP protocol works well enough for me.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

Yes, something is needed since AmTelnet quit working with my ISP's SSH server.

Valiant@Camelot
AmigaOne XE, 800Mhz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u7
Sam440ep, 666Mhz, 512Mb, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u6
A1-X1000, 1.8Ghz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1x
A1-X5000/40 2.2Ghz, 2GB, Radeon HD 7700, OS4.1 FE ud 2
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

I use putty everyday! I'd certainly love to have it ported to OS4, please do!

Thank you!!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
So, as there is enough interest of ppls i will start on porting soon. When i will have first initial beta-alpha version i will create a bounty for and so on. At moment i think that GUI will be MUI (have in plans also done port after all for mos and aros).

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

The problem with openssh is the missing/errorneos terminal emulation of the Amiga shell. Therefore, openssh cannot be used to remotely login to a unix environment and "to do" there something useful.

So, better then Putty would be a reworked Amiga shell, but this most likely not going to be happend soon

For this reason, a port of Putty with a working terminal would be great and, thus, I'd love to have putty on AmigaOS.

nexus

P.S. On MorphOS, there's already a good working MUI-ssh terminal. Would be nice to have that on AmigaOS3.x/4.x, too.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nexus

Imho we need to wait for see, how that "imroved" aos4 shell will looks like (to avoid to do the same job twice).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Cool! i can hardly wait to use ssh on my amiga :)
Do you have any estimation about how much work it is to port putty?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

It was somewhat asked before, but I want to bring it up again: Why do you want to port PuTTY instead of writing a GUI frontend for the already existing OpenSSH port?

I mean, PuTTY does basically nothing else. Its just a convenient frontend for OpenSSH. If you have a look at the OpenSSH sourcecode it is prepared for different frontends, so all you'd need to do is take the source of our current OpenSSH port (don't know if its somewhere available for download, best ask ssolie for it as he ported it) and implement a GUI frontend instead of the commandline frontend which is in place now.

This should be by far easier than to port the heavily Windows biased code of PuTTY.

Additionally it would have the benefit that you can easily stay in sync with new OpenSSH releases.. if a new release comes out, plant your GUI client code (and the AmigaOS diffs) over and be done with it .. put simply.

So while I'm all for getting a proper AmTelnet replacement, I'd really suggest to take our OpenSSH port as a base.

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cyborg

OpenSSH support Telnet, Rlogin and RAW TCP ?

GUI it's only the "First start" for the settings. But PUTTY mean not only GUI of course. Putty mean:

- Telnet, Rlogin and RAW TCP support (openssh can that ?)
- Support for local serial port connections. (open ssh can that ?)
- Emulates most xterm, VT102 control sequences, as well as much of ECMA-48 terminal emulation. (open ssh can that ? i think openssh suck very much here.)
- Did open ssh have normal screen buffer + history + all the crap ? (imho not)

Also Putty it's not win32 only app:

"PuTTY was originally written for Microsoft Windows, but it has been ported to various other operating systems. Official ports are available for some Unix-like platforms, with work-in-progress ports to Classic Mac OS and Mac OS X, and unofficial ports have been contributed to platforms such as Symbian [2] [3] and Windows Mobile."

Also as i pointed before, putty have many-many little-easy-to-use-and-nice-for-end-user-features, like:

- you have menu for the main shell window, which allow you to do many thinks like: reset terminal (when symbols on screen fucked up, you reset terminal and have "normal" terminal again). Copy + paste of text works very logical and easy (fast) for use. You can control at time size of your history without any problems or limitation (it can be 1000000 kb of size, and scroll bar will handle all that crap without problems). You can at any time screenbuffer data to a file (without coping it to clipboard).

At moment, only KCON it's somethink which can be called somethink which more or less at the beginin stage for the calling "shell". But we all understand (if we will say true) that is crap and must be done in better way and much better with tons of new features and additionals.

I can't in one post write all the pluses of Putty. Only ppls who use it daily understand, how crappy almost all the other realisation of these kind of toolz.

Indeed , it is possible to write Putty from the Scratch. Just with the basic cli window. But for now, aos4 shell suck very-very much, and it's unpossible to make "putty-kind" programm without fully rewrite (or writing new) shell. But putty have all the crap inside already (And as i say before, it's not win32 only app). For me really strange that os4 devels not spend their time firstly on making good shell. That is very important for many os users who not only like boingball, but also want to use amigaos daily.

Only what is possible (as i think), for the present moment (if talk about fronted only), it's just make a GUI like in putty + some necessary functions like putty-kind copy+paster , and some necessary options. But i think better to have full Putty port on os4.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

No offense, but your steady referring to the Shell or CON: when talking about the OS4 OpenSSH port shows that you don't know much about how the OpenSSH package is structured and works internally.

I said that you can use the OpenSSH port we have and replace the Shell frontend code with a proper GUI which includes everything you want in there.
You would basically just use the heart of OpenSSH and write the rest around it. Just like PuTTY does it. The difference is, that you don't have to mess with porting alien GUI toolkits but can use native MUI or ReAction right from the start. And if you have to rewrite the whole GUI part anyway, what is then left of all the features you listed? 1 or 2 maybe.. the rest is just part of the GUI which you have to rewrite anyway.

To get this straight: If you run 'ssh' in an AmigaShell today, what you see as output and with what you interact with is just the frontend which calls all the cipher, crypto, etc. functions of OpenSSH. In this case, the frontend is a fairly simple commandline client which happens to use our CON: in the OS4 port. But it's fairly well (in terms of usual Linux "well") encapsulated in the OpenSSH code, so that you could just replace it with corresponding GUI code, which again uses the cipher, crypto, connection and whatnot functions of OpenSSH (the "backend" if you want).

Anyway, I just thought I should mention this, because it would be a cleaner approach than to port a Linux software which was ported originally from a Windows software, especially if the most important part of it (the GUI) has to get rewritten anyway.

One last suggestion: Take the OpenSSH code (from any platform you want, it really doesn't matter) and take a close look at it and about it's "client" / "frontend" concept. I could of course be wrong, but I'd bet you'll see that it would make more sense to use the OpenSSH code as a base instead of what was made out of it in PuTTY.

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cyborg
I got your point. Yep, i will also look at openssh, maybe it will helps. Like write GUI over it + add fucntions/stuff which are not present in OpenSSH.

But, as i talk with Itix on #amigadev, he have ported putty on morphos except GUI some time ago. So, for now i see problem only with GUI (which is 100% must be rewrited). For me better porting somethink which already structured well, have all the crap inside and just rewrite GUI, if compare with openssh + stuff which are not presetn in openssh + GUI.

But thatnk for point anyway, will have it in mind.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

I'd love to vote for this, but as I don't own AmigaOS4.x, I don't feel i have the right. Can't wait til I get OS4.1!!!

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@kas1e

I suggest you start off by going through the code and make yourself acquainted to it. Make a detailed plan as to what needs to be done, not based on guessing but actual knowledge of the code. Currently it seems you're doing quite a bit of guesswork and that you don't really understand how much work it is (there's quiet a bit of work to get this running and some of it will be quite complicated).

Once you've done that write up a bounty and check with AmigaBounty if they're interested to host it for you.

It's already clear that there's many people interested in putty to warrant you investigating the code in detail.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Bump! Any news on putty? Kas1e you know many of the mos dudes, maybe you could get a permission to port muicon? It seems very nice!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Other SDL based terminals that might be portable:

SDLTerminal (webos app)
http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-d ... t/278511-sdlterminal.html

Syncterm (seems really really nice!)
http://syncterm.bbsdev.net/

SDL Terminal Emulator (seems too basic)
http://asmw.de/?p=213

PSPSSH (not sure if it uses sdl, but psp sdl games have been ported before)
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/ ... lient-for-PSP-v1.0.2.html

Syncterm seems to be the best by far and it can output to sdl!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Screenshots of syncterm:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=syncterm&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=660&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=tGYGT7mgD6TY4QSmvdiNCA

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
A SSH client for the Amiga which does not constantly bork like I find the OpenSSH port does would be nice (as an example OpenSSH lets me connect to my servers but try and su and it seems to stop working).

SCP would be nice as well. The amount of times I need to SCP a file is great. I noticed one or two comments in this thread about FTP but for many occassions that just doesn't cut it for a number of my sysadmin tasks. For starters, I can't just go and install vsftp or some other ftp server on a production machine I administer but if SSH is on the box already, SCP is a win.

It would be nice if it also worked with the Amiga shell but if it requires a seperate GUI then so be it. This would come down to the fact that I am just used to kicking off SSH sessions from one of the many shells I seem to always have running on my desktops :P

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@spotup
Quote:

Bump! Any news on putty? Kas1e you know many of the mos dudes, maybe you could get a permission to port muicon? It seems very nice!

As i understand muicon its their "new shell" in general. But as i know, in last 100 years, TonyW works on aos4's new shell and all the other con stuff. If that new shell and related con stuff, will not included to os4.2, then everything will be clear about all of this, and then, we can try to make new shell by itself (kind of muicon, or muicon+kingcon). And then at top of it worry about putty. Sure, so long waiting for official con replacement are unacceptable, and if not in os4.2, then we can try to do it by our skills and resource (but that will suck of course, better if tonyw somehow will finish what he start 100 years ago :) ).

Btw, you as betatester should have lateset version of newshell stuff , but if you found that muicon is better in compare with current beta of newshell , then .. then it suck !:))

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I can't comment on the new amiga shell but something like putty or syncterm is still needed.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 »