Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

sailor, Raziel, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 »
Codebench: Problems with 0.8 beta
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
(edit) PEBKAC (or more likely P did EBKAC).

It froze once when it was executing a make script. (edit: I have to make more testing when I'll find enough time.)

Edited by TSK on 2009/2/3 12:55:08
Edited by TSK on 2009/2/3 17:22:45
Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Re: Problems with 0.8 beta
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TSK

You mean CodeBench right?

Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Rudei

Well it IS the CodeBench forum ;)

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rudei

its in the codebench forum

*edit* dagnammit!!

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

Menu items are usually ghosted which should be available IMHO like "Create new file" after start of a new project. For example it's not possible to create a new file to a project.

If you have just created a project, is the editor window open? If not, none of its menus will be available. You can add a new file to the project with the button on the toolbar.

Quote:

When adding one existing file sometimes many menu items becomes unghosted but sometimes they don't.

I am going to need more information than this to try to reproduce the problem. Ideally a full run-down of a sequence of events that lead to the problem you have.

Quote:

It froze once when it was executing a make script.
[snip]
My first attempt was I tried to save my test project to ram disk. But compiler script didn't work because there's space in "RAM Disk" name.

OK, let me try and explain to you what happens when you build a project. CodeBench will create the script according to the information you enter. That script is then used when CodeBench starts the builder program. In this case, once Make has been launched with the makefile as it's target, CodeBench is no longer involved. Crashes can equally appear in Make, GCC, cc1 etc. I suggest you run with a 500000 byte stack when compiling.

Simon

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:
suggest you run with a 500000 byte stack when compiling

I can't know how CodeBench runs compiler. So where I can change the stack ? I did just check the preferences and there's nothing there.

Quote:
If you have just created a project, is the editor window open? If not, none of its menus will be available. You can add a new file to the project with the button on the toolbar.

I forgot to put this into my previous post. So I have to create an empty file with f.ex. Notepad which I can add to the new project then, if I want to start a project from scratch and I don't have any single file to add anywhere ?

Quote:
is the editor window open? If not, none of its menus will be available

Did I understand this right ? Because I don't have any files listed to select so I can't open the editor. Because I can't open the editor I can't also add a new empty file to the project either ?

I was only messing with it the first time and trying to learn how it works. And I was following your online guide.

(edit) Oh and I forgot:
Quote:
there's space in "RAM Disk" name

I suggest to add quotation marks around any file names in makefile build scripts ! (Even if Make is ported from Unix/Linux environment its Amiga port should comply AmigaDOS rules.)

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

I can't know how CodeBench runs compiler. So where I can change the stack ? I did just check the preferences and there's nothing there.

As with any other form of software, if you are planning on doing a lot of compiling, you can set the stack in the startup-sequence (where all child shells will inherit the stack size) or you can set it in shell-startup. Regardless of where you set it, "stack 500000" is what you should be looking at.

Quote:

I forgot to put this into my previous post. So I have to create an empty file with f.ex. Notepad which I can add to the new project then, if I want to start a project from scratch and I don't have any single file to add anywhere ?

What? reread the documentation again, and you'll find the first button on the toolbar creates a new file for you, and shows it in the editor for your convenience.

Quote:

Did I understand this right ? Because I don't have any files listed to select so I can't open the editor. Because I can't open the editor I can't also add a new empty file to the project either ?

See above, and the toolbar button for this very purpose.

Quote:

I suggest to add quotation marks around any file names in makefile build scripts ! (Even if Make is ported from Unix/Linux environment its Amiga port should comply AmigaDOS rules.)

Quoting pathnames in the makefile will generate an error, and 'Make' will fail. How about you avoid using volume names with spaces in it?

Simon

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

Ahuh got it Completely missed the fact it had it's own forum!

/me skulks off

Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rigo

Hey Rigo,

Congrats and Thanks for the release!

Quote:

Rigo wrote:

As with any other form of software, if you are planning on doing a lot of compiling, you can set the stack in the startup-sequence (where all child shells will inherit the stack size) or you can set it in shell-startup. Regardless of where you set it, "stack 500000" is what you should be looking at.

Wouldn't that make each/every program run from the Shell
consume half a meg of RAM - whether it needed it or not?

Thanks again,

PJS

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Rigo

The "quick links" is a nice feature. I wonder though if it would be possible to have it docked inside the editor window instead of a separate window? The activating/deactivating of the respective windows can become a bit epileptical, especially when window transparency is activated.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Re: Codebench: Problems with 0.8 beta
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Rigo

I have the editor window open and selected.

I select "Preferences/edit" in the menu.

A prefs window opens, sometimes behind the editor window, sometimes on top of it.

on top of - good
behind - not as much

(running on wb)

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Rigo

The tooltype tips for the tabs and toolbar icons in the editor window does not show up if you have left clicked somewhere in the source code or after opening a source file.

How to reproduce:

Doubel click a source file in the Project window.

Hover the mouse pointer above a editor toolbar icon -> no tooltype tip pops up.

Left click somewhere in the toolbar background.

Hover the mouse pointer above a editor toolbar icon -> tooltype top pops up

Left click the source code

Hover the mouse pointer above a editor toolbar icon -> no tooltype tip pops up.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Rigo

A scrolling problem.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open a source file that has a lot more lines than what is visible in the editor window.

2. In the editor in the source code, press and hold the left mouse button.

3. Move the mouse pointer out of the window at the bottom of the window.

4. Stop moving the mouse pointer -> the scrolling stops but the line numbers keep increasing.

5. Move the mouse pointer -> the scrolling starts up again

6. Release the left mouse button. (or you might have a hard time testing something else ;)

Additional info:
The not scrolling bit above (4) seems to happen a bit more when you have line numbers activated.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Rigo

Feature request.

This might be a reaction configuration thing, if so then ignore this.

It would be nice to be able to set the amount of rows that get scrolled when using the mouse wheel. Just one row per 'wheel click' seems a bit too few for comfort.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Rigo

Feature request.

When having a lot of tabs open, each tab starts to shrink (yay!). But the shorter the text goes the harder it is to identify the file.

It might be better to have the tooltype tip for the tab strings to show the filename instead of an instruction of what clicking the tab does (which should be obvious for most people anyway).

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@pjs

It would yes, but I run a micro here with 256MB and it hasn't done me any harm.

Theoretically I could add an option to set the stack in the shell process that Make is run in, but it launches further processes etc, so that setting may not be carried forward.

As I said, it has been working as I described here for years with no adverse effects.

Simon

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:
What? reread the documentation again, and you'll find the first button on the toolbar creates a new file for you, and shows it in the editor for your convenience.

Well, yes, it exists in the toolbar. That's actually so obvious. (I thought if I use the "+" button in the project (file list) window it will create a file for me if it doesn't exist.) I'm sorry. Now I feel myself so stupid. (I had partially bad weekend and I have so many things going on at the moment.) I'm sorry again.

Quote:
stack 500000

I've had stack 500000 in my shell-startup since the first versions os AOS4. And I think it doesn't really belong to the startup-sequence. (edit: Never mind)

Quote:
Quoting pathnames in the makefile will generate an error

You haven't ported Make so this doesn't belong here. But it's a bad port if it can't follow Amiga rules. And I think the system sets the name of the ram disk (I have to check that). I used ram disk only for the first testing session. Of course I wouldn't use it for anything permanent. And this doesn't matter too much.

(edit)

Thanks making this app !!! I hope we can get now more developers interested in developing software.

Edited by TSK on 2009/2/3 17:47:15
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@orgin

Quote:

A prefs window opens, sometimes behind the editor window, sometimes on top of it.

on top of - good
behind - not as much

(running on wb)

The janitor task that controls the window depth is disabled when running on WB. I can only recommend you run on a custom screen. Codebench really needs as much screen space as possible, so I hate to think what your system is like when running WB and CodeBench on the same screen.

Simon

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@orgin

That is due to the editor.gadget having focus. This works the same with string gadgets and also the system texteditor.gadget. Due to the way the BOOPSI system works, there is currently nothing that can be done about it.

Simon

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@orgin

Quote:

4. Stop moving the mouse pointer -> the scrolling stops but the line numbers keep increasing.

Actually, they are not increasing, but catching up. I obviously need to improve the ICCLASS communication, and issue OM_NOTIFY a bit more often during a drag-scroll.

Simon

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 »