Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 94

flash, walkero, samo79, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

SFS and 4.3 GB DVDs
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi

I have three partitions with FFS and when I burn some DVDs it only burns well a small percentage of the data,that's is 1 file well and 4 bad for example.

May I use SFS to burn properly DVDs on my Amiga One?

How can I convert my three partitions to SFS without loosing data?

I want to burn my downloads consisting in utilities and films and others too.

Help is appreciated.

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Re: SFS and 4.3 GB DVDs
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MamePPCA1

Quote:
I have three partitions with FFS and when I burn some DVDs it only burns well a small percentage of the data,that's is 1 file well and 4 bad for example.

May I use SFS to burn properly DVDs on my Amiga One?
Not the normal SFS (DOSType 'SFS/0'), it's limited to 4 GB as well, you have to use the 'SFS/2' mode.

Quote:
How can I convert my three partitions to SFS without loosing data?
Make a backup, change the DOSType to 'SFS\2' in MediaToolBox, reboot, format the partition(s) and restore the backup. There are no tools which can convert FFS partitions to SFS ones.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MamePPCA1

Use SFS 0 for the bootpartition - it is not possible to boot from a SFS 2 partition on a A1.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

If I make backups,how can I burn a DVD with 4.3 GB?Is it possible with
my actual FFS2?

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG
Thank you for your advice and thanks to joerg too.
Now I know that I can only boot with SFS 0 on my Amiga One.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MamePPCA1

Quote:
If I make backups,how can I burn a DVD with 4.3 GB?Is it possible with my actual FFS2?
With AmiDVD only by using the "on the fly" option. If you want to create an image file first you have to use at most 3.99 GB per DVD.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Joerg
I have a question on this issue. What is the file-size limit for SFS\2. Is it possible to be used succesfully with AmigaOS 3 and the scsi.device of IDEFix installed?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Amigamancer

Quote:
I have a question on this issue. What is the file-size limit for SFS\2.
Theoretically 256 TB, but the max. partition size is smaller, 2 TB for partitions with 512 bytes/block.

Quote:
Is it possible to be used succesfully with AmigaOS 3 and the scsi.device of IDEFix installed?
I don't know if the IDEFix scsi.device has working CMD_UPDATE support. The AmigaOS IDE scsi.device did not until AmigaOS4.

Additionally nearly all software has to be changed to work with files > 4 GB, for AmigaOS 3.x there is probably next to none.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

With the tips commented before is it sufficient to install SFS on my A1 or may I know something more?

If there is more to know I will celebrate to know here.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Sorry I posted the previous post twice cause a problem of OWB.

Hope I can run SFS well soon.

What are their main advantages comparing to FFS2?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MamePPCA1

Quote:
With the tips commented before is it sufficient to install SFS on my A1 or may I know something more?
Read http://intuitionbase.com/static.php?section=en_SFS-walkthrough for the most important things, additionally you should use the SFS/2 mode only for one or two partitions on which you want to use files > 4 GB and make backups of such partitions more often since there is no data recovery software for it.

Quote:
What are their main advantages comparing to FFS2?
It's much faster and it's a journalling file system (no validation required if you reboot, switch off the computer or something crashes badly while data is written).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
If I may add to this:
The only downside of SFS is that there is no data recovery tool. But there is no need for such a tool IMO! The most probably cause of data loss is accidental deletion of files, and there is the .recycled undelete function for that, or the HD may physically crash and there is no recovery from that, other than to have a backup. FFS is no better at reading a destroyed disk than SFS, or atleast not better than PFS. That I know.

I have used PFS 2&3 for many years on my A1200 and now SFS since almost the beginning on my A1 and I find them very similar in speed and reliability.

I have never had any problem at all with any of them. There have been rare occasions when I have gotten a strange requester about some incorrect block with SFS but never any data loss.

Not only are PFS and SFS much faster and more reliable (since you don't loose data by accidental reboot or crash during writes, except for that which was just currently written), but they both have this .deldir/.recycled directories where you very easily can "undelete" files from, and not just the last deleted or overwritten file, but many versions back too!

I have SFS on all but one partition. Don't know why I left one as FFS2 really, guess I was unsure in the beginning. I will soon install SFS2 on my largest 150GB partition as I recently got a DVD burner.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top

Register To Post