Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 122

davec555, TheMagicSN, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

.recyled directory
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have a 9.5gb partition formatted with sfs 1.279 (SFS0) 300 buffers 512 block size, and apart from storing some youtube downloads there, I have been using it to create DVD .iso files, being such large files (3-4GB) the partition becomes full because of the .recycled directory.
Unfortunatley, I did not read Toaks sfs walkthrough thoroughly enough to realise I had to use SFSFormat to view the "." directories.

Is there anyway to view them without reverting to the shell as this just scrolls off the secreen. Can I set anything to view them via dopus, etc, or do I have to copy, format, and restore.
Thanks for any help.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Re: .recyled directory
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

type in the DirOpus lister string:

PartitionName:.recycled

and if you use that partition mainly for large files, next time reformat with SFSFormat with the NORECYCLED option (very large files are always been a problem with the .recycled)

SFSFormat DEVICE xxx: NAME xxx NORECYCLED

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:
I have been using it to create DVD .iso files, being such large files (3-4GB) the partition becomes full because of the .recycled directory.
Files in .recycled are automatically removed if the partition gets full, and their size isn't included in the used space displayed by C:Info and the Workbench.

Quote:
Is there anyway to view them without reverting to the shell as this just scrolls off the secreen. Can I set anything to view them via dopus, etc, or do I have to copy, format, and restore.
You can make .recycled visible with SFSObject (included in the Aminet SFS archives):
SFSObject DHx:.recycled SHOW

Removing, or adding, the .recycled directory isn't possible, if you want to change that you have to backup the partition, reformat it with SFSFormat NORECYCLED and restore the backup.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Framiga

Quote:
type in the DirOpus lister string:

PartitionName:.recycled

Hey, that worked brilliantly. I had emptied a directory in error, and I still don't know how it happened. Anyway, I was hoping the missing files were in the .recycled directory. They were, and I moved them back to their correct directory from within DOpus. Thanks a lot.

Quote:
and if you use that partition mainly for large files, next time reformat with SFSFormat with the NORECYCLED option (very large files are always been a problem with the .recycled)

SFSFormat DEVICE xxx: NAME xxx NORECYCLED

I have now downloaded the full package, and I'll have a close look at it before I change over any other partitions.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
Files in .recycled are automatically removed if the partition gets full, and their size isn't included in the used space displayed by C:Info and the Workbench.
That's how I first discovered I had a problem. I had created a DVD.iso file (4.3GB) to test AmiDVD, and this was the only partition able to handle such a large file. Once I deleted it because I thought it might be corrupt, I found I couldn't save another one their, even though workbench told me there was ton's of space.

Quote:
You can make .recycled visible with SFSObject (included in the Aminet SFS archives):
SFSObject DHx:.recycled SHOW[/quote

Now I have downloaded the full archive from your site I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Removing, or adding, the .recycled directory isn't possible, if you want to change that you have to backup the partition, reformat it with SFSFormat NORECYCLED and restore the backup.

I was more worried about getting my files back, and still didn't understand why I couldn't write another DVD.iso file to that same partition. In theory now I do.
I have another 5GB partition with videos on, I think I'll probably copy across the videos to the 9.5gb partition, and use the 5gb partition for the .iso files. that way I can also try out the NORECYCLED option in sfs format.

Thanks for your response.

p.s. Any further with a de-bug version of AmiDVD?

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:
formatted with sfs 1.279 (SFS0)

If you want to use big files >4GB you have to format your partition as SFS2 instead of SFS0.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Quote:
If you want to use big files >4GB you have to format your partition as SFS2 instead of SFS0.
I didn't realise that, it might explain some of the problems I am having writing a 4.3gb iso file to a DVD.
Thanks.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
I was more worried about getting my files back, and still didn't understand why I couldn't write another DVD.iso file to that same partition. In theory now I do.

Does that mean that you couldn`t write any further file to that partition?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@daxb

Quote:
Does that mean that you couldn`t write any further file to that partition?

No, just not larger than the actual available space, and not the reported available space.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top

Register To Post