Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
86 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Questions about Troika hardware
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@RomanceClip

Lets start with this from the Troika Site:

The Panda Project

(i have made a smaller picture here: Panda (smaller picture))

Now, start your questions, i am sure some people will
jump in here to help to explain what it's all about.

Thanks in advance.

Go to top
Re: Questions about Troika hardware
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm still confused.

I went to the Troika World Wide Web site and found some information on something called Amy.

Yet your link is about a card called Pandy - it's not like any card I've ever seen before. What has this got to do with AmigaNG and if so, are Amiga Inc going to license it?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Heck its hardly rocket science man

Sit back, relax, take a chill pill

The Amy'05 was the first card out of the Troika stable, it has been designed by them from the ground up and is meant to be a lower cost solution.

The Panda card is made by someone else (forget who) its of higher spec than the Amy'05 board and will cost more too.

Neither of them have been released just yet. As to the OS4 licensing, I don't know to be honest.

I don't think anyone but Troika does and they are keeping that close to their chest.

Edited by Mikey_C on 2006/12/6 22:08:34
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
I'm still confused.

Some info here

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@RomanceClip
Quote:
I'm still confused.

Aren't we all.

OK, I'll give you some known public info. about Troika NG's projects. Keep in mind anything and everything can (and did already) change without notice.

The Amy'05 project (aka Prometheus) is being headed by a fellow named Ian Stedman. You can read up on him a bit at his web site if you wish. I had an old non-working prototype board (aka the show board) in my hands at AmiWest in October this year. Last we heard was that the actual product is expected to ship mid-2007.

The Panda project is based on UDTech's Home Media Center design. This board was on display at AmiWest as well and I was so happy with it, I took it home with me. I happen to be helping Troika out with some testing duties so I have one. The trouble with the HMC board is that it is a non-standard form factor and has some options Troika don't need for their target markets so it is being reworked before it can be sold to consumers. To the best of my knowledge there has been no further announcements regarding possible shipping dates.

There are some more details I didn't get into (e.g. what options are being removed from the Panda) but that is the gist of things as they are known to the public at this time.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Interesting.

So it looks like the Panda could be an AmigaOne v2.0

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I would like to see this card in a 'Big' Box and the Samamtha in a box like an A600 or A500. This would really give us a good choice of systems and we would all probably end up owning both anyway!

Was there any news on whether the OS4 people (Hyperion?) got a Panda board?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Is that going to be the final form factor? I hope not as it looks like you'd need a special case... or no case at all.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
Is that going to be the final form factor? I hope not as it looks like you'd need a special case... or no case at all.

from ssolie's post
Quote:
The trouble with the HMC board is that it is a non-standard form factor and has some options Troika don't need for their target markets so it is being reworked

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Neither of them have been released just yet. As to the OS4 licensing, I don't know to be honest.

Did Bill McEwen not say in the Amiga.org 25 questions that Troika "isn't one of them" meaning not one of the companies eligable for a license

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
At that point it might have been true, but I've long since stopped even thinking that any major interview with those guys should be used as a credible factual source.

I'm sorry if that winds some people up a little, but the Troika kit looks the most interesting.

The court case is like a thunderstorm after a long humid summer.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Eyetech still has a licence.

Maybe Alan Redhouse could be used to get around the issue somehow.

Two solutions that are complete speculation on my part are:-

He could sell troika boards as an AmigaOne, with out any questions asked.

There could even be shift of assets, by eyetech selling the company and licence to troika for a ?1. If alan is no longer trading under eyetech.

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
by MiKE2006 on 2006/12/7 5:34:52

Quote:

Did Bill McEwen not say in the Amiga.org 25 questions that Troika "isn't one of them" meaning not one of the companies eligable for a license

Possibly Bill was refering to the Amy and didn't know about the Panda at that time...

Anyway that was at that time. The situation can and will change.

Valiant@Camelot
AmigaOne XE, 800Mhz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u7
Sam440ep, 666Mhz, 512Mb, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u6
A1-X1000, 1.8Ghz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1x
A1-X5000/40 2.2Ghz, 2GB, Radeon HD 7700, OS4.1 FE ud 2
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
You can read what you like into "Troika isn't one of them". Some legitimate meanings:

1) Troika is not among them (none of them);
2) Troika is not one of them (but IS the other);
3) Troika is both of them (two models).

In any case, that was said many months ago and may have changed.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ssolie
I hope we can see the panda board soon.
It doesn't work:
http://www.troikang.com/about.html

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
This thread is a very interesting read and helped me a lot in finding information about the new Amy-Amiga from Troika-company. It is great to have different options for new NG Amiga computers to buy.
Are there some representatives of this company who might read this thread? It might help them at repairing their broken website.
I could not find any information on the Panda-Amiga computer on the Troika website. Does this company host information on this other project somewhere else? Thank you!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Sister_Rita wrote:
It might help them at repairing their broken website.

Maybe they are off on Holiday Sister, or just doing a website upgrade?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Our speculation: A few years ago, the Eyetech company were producing the AmigaOne computers under the license from Amiga Inc. Eyetech does not produce any Amiga computers any more, however they still have the license. We know that Guru Meditation is in contact with Eyetech so it might happen that they will acquire the license from them. It would mean that Guru Meditation does not necessarily need to negotiate with Amiga Inc. which could save a lot of time.

Source: http://www.amikit.amiga.sk/panda.htm

Can a license be sold to another company without the agreement from Amiga Inc.?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MiKE2006

The question asked if Amiga was in discussions with any companies about licensing for OS4 capable hardware. Bill Mcewen mentioned that they were currently in talks with 3 companies and Troika was not one of them.

I would take that to mean that Amiga Inc and Troika were not in talks about hardware at that time.
It was later mentioned at Amiwest that a UDtech HMC board (Panda) had been sent to Hyperion. I would think that Troika are at least in talks with Amiga for this to happen.

A note about Panda
Troika said on amigaworld that they used Panda as the overall name for that project.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

torgem wrote:

Can a license be sold to another company without the agreement from Amiga Inc.?

It's not so much whether the licence can be transferred, but whether that licence would be valid for any hardware other than Mai Teron derived hardware.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
In any case, it depends entirely on the written agreement that was signed back in 2003(?) by Amiga Inc, Eyetech and Hyperion. We do not know what was in it, except that a draft was leaked. We don't know how closely the actual document resembles the draft.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »