Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 104

Skateman, Georg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 »
Re: List of wanted Software
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi
About tag editor have looked at these on os4depot?? i remember to use few of them back in the first days of amiga os4 and they worked fine..

http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?function=search&tool=simple

About network stack what are looking for exactly? RoadShow isn't enough?
what i would like to see is a proper way to create in a simple way shared folder accross the network between amigas and other system (from amiga to amiga and from/to amiga or other systems..)

About compare folders dir, have you looked at this?:

http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?fun ... /filetool/comparedirs.lha

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@smf

On OS4 with Odyssey, http://fast.com reports a download speed of 21 Mbps and an upload speed of 77 Kbps (!!!).

On Linux with Firefox, http://fast.com reports a download speed of 48 Mbps, and an upload speed of 20 Mbps.

Maybe Odyssey is the bottleneck? I can't find another Amiga browser that works with fast.com.

I can upload a file to my fileserver (filefactory) as another comparison. Pftp reports speeds in CPS, which is difficult to compare (just realised I could use NetSpeedMon to check the speed in Kbps, so I'll run this again when I'm back in OS4). [edit] NetSpeedometer shows a max speed of 134 kbps, although this was just a peak. Average speed seems to be around 118000 CPS, which seems very slow. Uploading via Filezilla on Linux 690 KB/s.

I am also using 8169, having recently switched over from 8139, however, the transition has been problematic and several times the network has just stopped working. I understand there are beta versions of the driver available, however, I'm not a beta tester, so I am just using what was delivered to the users who bought the X5000.

I am unable to replicate your test. The version of aget currently on OS4 depot is a Hollywood app. It cannot be run by command line, and when I give it the url you specified, it responded with "host now found" (although Odyssey can find it, so I guess the problem is with aget).

If there is a way of increasing network speed, I would love to hear it. My X5000 is my main computer, and its slow speed is a pain. Upload is so slow I basically cannot share large files - it invariably times out.

Edited by daveyw on 2019/6/30 23:30:39
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

@daveyw

I used the aget tool from the uhctools arhive http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/UHCTools

It's a http download tool that is not such a big bottleneck as odyssey and it calculates the averange speed in a readable format so it's quite good.
The file i downloaded is a benchmark file provided by my isp.

My result at 11.23MB/s equals 89.84 Mbps so it's okey for me. But would be nice to know the max speed when not being limited by a router or the isp but i think it's fair to say that roadshow is up to the task to deliver decent speeds but all our tools might not be.

I do not have any real upload speeds to report now and it's been to long since the last upload to even guess but i'm sure it was way better than yours.
Is your nic connected by pci or pcie? pcie is supposed to be faster.
Have you checked the speed of the onboard nic with the driver provided by aeon?
I'm so happy with my 8169 nic so i have not bothered to try that new driver yet.
I have the beta updates so that might have some impact on my results.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw

Fast.com's upload speed is clearly wrong, so it's likely that some issue is ruining the results. It could be something simple like Odyssey's lack of HTTP/2 support, or the page's javascript. A few years ago I used an online speed test whose javascript was so heavy that it killed the transfer rates.

No idea which speed test will give you the most accurate results. I thought I used to use speedtest.net, but that's currently crashing Odyssey on my machine (Tabor).

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
And I suppose it probably should be something done by the OS-developers.

Why?

Best regards,

Niels

I just was assuming it to be something which should be integrated at system-level, and as such someone who is part of or with a direct line to the OS team could have advantages. Nothing more.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache
Quote:
@terminills

The perfect place to hide them from at least my view.

Best regards,

Niels

Yes, too many pages and faces to flick through for my taste too! ;)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache

Quote:

@Amigo1

Quote:
- Various shell id taggers wich miss many functions and tags
All I've ever needed was id3 (http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... /filetool/id3edit-os4.lha), which must be one of those referred to here. It's command line, but since I always use it from a script, that's fine with me. And it has always worked fine.

But I guess those who want something else must need specific features - which ones?

Best regards,

Niels

Sometimes it does not save some tags. It always does not save the image tag.

- embed (album cover) pictures in the file
- chose the cathegory of the picture
- embed lyrics in the file
- chosee which version of id3 tag is used and which is saved
- composer tag
- album artist tag
- view embedded picture type (mime)
- bitrate info
- possibility to sort by all the tags
- discnumber tag

- possibility to select/deselect the songs on which the tags are written

- ...there could me more functions

Just the one's I could think of off the top my head. :)

Edited by Amigo1 on 2019/7/13 7:05:34
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jap
post #20

I agree with you. Completely :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nubechecorre

Quote:
Hi
About tag editor have looked at these on os4depot?? i remember to use few of them back in the first days of amiga os4 and they worked fine..

http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?function=search&tool=simple

About network stack what are looking for exactly? RoadShow isn't enough?
what i would like to see is a proper way to create in a simple way shared folder accross the network between amigas and other system (from amiga to amiga and from/to amiga or other systems..)

About compare folders dir, have you looked at this?:

http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?fun ... /filetool/comparedirs.lha

Hi,
yes I have had a look at the ones on OS4depot. The only one with GUI working properly is Music-Tagger but it also deletes all the Tags it does not support. The second Utility is id3Tagger (With id3TaggerGUI) only works partially. Sometimes some tags are not written to the file, or it brakes the file.

Compare dirs is a nice approach, but really basic and it becomes cumbersome to use. Once the directories are scanned, there is no way to move, copy, delete or sync the directories or check the subdirs. So it is only partially helpfull. To have a idea about what is possible on other platforms and nice to have look at:
www.deltawalker.com
or
https://www.araxis.com/merge/

I would pay 100Eur to have that on Amiga. I know our market is small though.. :P

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

hans
Quote:

@daveyw

Fast.com's upload speed is clearly wrong, so it's likely that some issue is ruining the results. It could be something simple like Odyssey's lack of HTTP/2 support, or the page's javascript. A few years ago I used an online speed test whose javascript was so heavy that it killed the transfer rates.

No idea which speed test will give you the most accurate results. I thought I used to use speedtest.net, but that's currently crashing Odyssey on my machine (Tabor).

Hans

I can confirm that using speedtest websites on amiga mostly does not give reliable results. I was suspecting javascript too. I do have the X1000 connected to a 500Mbps line with 25Mps upload but it measures only around 54Mbps. In contrast when transferring to another computer on the intranet I measured approx 64Mbps.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rob

Added to the first post. Thank you for working on it! It would be nice if at one point it was able to open TurboCalc (and for those who used it FinalCalc) files. I tried to open some TCD spreadsheets and understandably there are many functions which are not implemented yet. Good work so far!

I know many want Libre/OpenOffice. I for my part, would much more prefer an Amiga App able to understand LibreCalc files. What other opinions are out there on this?

If only it was possible that the devs involved in porting it over the years helped out Rob instead....

After it's done, they could all go back to competition mode if that is what people think it's best. And each one could port a different version of Open/LibreOffice by himself.. I found over 25 reasons why competition is good!

Thanks god, we have CoffinOS to invigorate and stimulate the Amiga OS landscape!!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Amigo1

(about network stack)
Quote:
I just was assuming it to be something which should be integrated at system-level, and as such someone who is part of or with a direct line to the OS team could have advantages.
Yeah - I don't think it's that important. Think about the all-time favourite on 3.x, Miami. I'm pretty sure Holger Kruse didn't have any particular access to inside information.

The most important thing is probably to have expert knowledge in network programming in general, and lots of patience and perseverance.

And in AmigaOS, few things really need to be that closely integrated - it's part of the lovely modular and layered nature of it.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Amigo1

(about id3 taggers)
Quote:
Sometimes it does not save some tags. It always does not save the image tag.

- embed (album cover) pictures in the file
- chose the cathegory of the picture
- embed lyrics in the file
- chosee which version of id3 tag is used and which is saved
- composer tag
- album artist tag
- view embedded picture type (mime)
- bitrate info
- possibility to sort by all the tags
- discnumber tag

- possibility to select/deselect the songs on which the tags are written

- ...there could me more functions

Just the one's I could think of off the top my head. :)
Okay. All I've ever needed myself was to embed the basic meta-data such as title, artist, year, genre etc. into the MP3s I rip from my CDs. I wouldn't know what to do with all those other things.

But if you do, then of course that old command-line program I'm using clearly won't suffice.

Best reards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Amigo1

That's idv2.3 idv2.4 you are looking for.

No amiga program can do that.
I'm using MP3Tag on a peecee (yes, i know) since it can tag all kinds of audio files, not just mp3 (slowly drifting away from it either, cause flac gives a much better overall performance for audiophiles)

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Try speedof.me with your Tabor. It is html5 so it should work at least. And maybe give better results?

Edit: link

PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.17
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@emeck

Quote:
Try speedof.me with your Tabor. It is html5 so it should work at least. And maybe give better results?

That one is painfully slow. It's measurements are way out even with my Windows laptop where it gets round 16 Mbps download vs 50-90 Mbps elsewhere.

I've noticed that results can vary wildly between different speed tests.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans
Quote:
That one is painfully slow. It's measurements are way out even with my Windows laptop where it gets round 16 Mbps download vs 50-90 Mbps elsewhere.

It works for me, usually gives 1 - 2 mbps more than speedtest.net in the same machine. But I use Debian, not windows with those laptops.

And also gives similar results with my phone, so I thought it could be useful. But with my PowerBook G4 and MOS I also get completely different results.

PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.17
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

No amiga program can do that.

Lame can. Requires you to know the custom tags names though.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Amigo1

A font engine which supports colour fonts (specifically OTF-SVG).
Somebody with the source code of ft2.library or the AROS freetype2.library can probably do this easily. It would need a new bulletAPI tag of OT_GlyphMap32 for colour font data and until the OS catches up would need to be manually supported by apps.
This would mean we get colour scalable fonts, including Emojis.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

Post #38

Good to know, convenient for single files.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 »