Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

SSD + SATA - Which should hold what?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I know there are lots of blogs and infos out there telling me what would be best to use with what kind of data, but those are all for Windows and Linux systems, so i'm asking here.

I want to take the load/wear off of my SSD (with AmigaOS on it) by splitting some of my partitions onto a PATA HDD.

Has anyone tried to share data/partitions between an SSD and SATA HDD and what would be the best combination?

I'm not talking about copying stuff over, but how would both (physical) HDDs perform best in an Amiga?

I have the following (all of my partitions for now):

OS - Fast bootup, lots of accesses during running the OS, while being small files (my pick: SSD)
Tools - Seldomly used, rather small files (my pick: SSD, as it's not going to grow anytime soon anyway)
Development - all of the porting stuff, together with the SDK - (no pick yet, biggest wear on the SSD imo, so in favour of SATA)
Games - Seldomly used, lots of big files (my pick: SATA)
Storage - pretty much the same as Games, but mostly crunched and even bigger files (my pick: SATA)
Cache - Disk cache, used on every boot and lots of accesses during OS (also wears down the SSD, i guess? - so SATA?)

TIA

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Re: SSD + SATA - Which should hold what?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I ignored the problem by getting a hybrid drive which is a 16GB SSD and a 2TB HDD in one which automagically transfers the most used files to the SSD which is hidden so you just format it as you would a normal HDD and leave it to sort itself out.

I thought taking the load off an SSD was not good for them, as unused or unread blocks tended to corrupt over time but then that may have just been the early models.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

Not entirely sure what you're asking, but I'm using an SSD and 2 SATA drives in my X5000.

I installed the SSD on the p5020sata.device, and contains WB, Work (apps & documents), Games, Misc/Temp, OS-4 Depot (apps I'm not actively using) and Amicygnix (which I use for Amicygnix, QT, Odyssey and Timberwolf).

I also transplated 2 SATA drives from my A1-XE, onto a sil3112 pci card, which contain documents, videos and pictures.

More and more I am finding that I use my NAS for pictures and videos, as I transfer stuff between my Amiga, iPad and phone.

They perform very well. Initially had some problems with my SATA drives, but I traced that down to a loose cable connection.

Umm, surely moving data from an SSD to a SATA drive would not reduce wear but increase it? After all, an SSD has no moving parts but the SATA does? Or do you mean "wear" in a non-phyiscal sense?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw

I'm asking mainly because i discovered a strange phenomena with the SSD.

While i was scripting an arexx markdown-to-AmigaGuide converter and testing the outcome, i let the script run numerous times on the same file and to the same output file (both on SSD).
While i was testing (and not changing much to the script) the time said script needed to convert the very same fille went from 6.5 seconds to nearly 30 seconds (where i stopped, because i was more or less finished). You could see the gain in time it took after every new script run.

Now, i wonder if this is because of the SSD and it's "cells" (at that exact postiion) being over-used in some way (and "wear" down, or "overheat" or something?

I tried today, after the Amiga was shut off over night, again and the time to convert the exact same file from yesterday is back to take 6.5 seconds.

Really strange problem which i don't see when using the same stuff on SATA.

I know about the physical wear due to moving parts on physical SATA drives, but for some reason i feel insecure relying on a SSD for my whole data. (It's probably stupid, but you know, hunches are illogical).

Yes, i do backups, repeatedly.

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

Have you eliminated the filesystem as a factor?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw

Both SSD and SATA HDD have SFS/02 installed (both share the same buffers too)

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel

Did you monitor the memory usage? Maybe something was using up memory in a way which made things go slower each time (e.g. some linked list somewhere in the system getting longer and longer or similar).

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nbache

Hmm, at least the memory docky doesn't report anything unusual, but of course, there could be fragmentation going on in the background which i don't see.

I have the Console Prefs option to save the history on, but that only happens on exit (at least that's what the option says), but maybe that is the culprit?
Since the history list gets longer and longer and have to be temporarily saved somewhere it could mess something up...gotta turn it off and check.

Thanks for the hint

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top

Register To Post