Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 72 »
Re: SDL2
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
timer device flood

Is SDL using usleep() and sleep() functions of Newlib ?

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues
Quote:

That is highly likely.

But just to check on another posibilty what gfx lib are you using and what machine?

x5000, graphics.library 54.241 (11/16/2017)

But , on the same machine and the same graphics.library, SDL1 didn't make that timer flood. For now iam 99% sure that problem is that unix/SDL_systimer.c (which use usleep()as well), which in SDL1 replaced with our native code (timer/amigaos4/SDL_os4timer.c)

Quote:

One thing to note though, since the opening of timer.device is there to create a timed delay or some such, it's not likely to slow anythig down, unless you are running snoopy or similar....

But looks wrong anyway :) Its just like about 5-10 opens of timer.device in a second.

@TSK
Quote:

Is SDL using usleep() and sleep() functions of Newlib ?

Sure, in that unix/SDL_systimer.c it use usleep for os4.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Yeah, SDL2 uses usleep(). If usleep really opens timer.device every time, I think we should a) open a ticket against newlib and b) replace it with custom timer code in SDL2.

EDIT: confirmed to be "usleep issue" by calling usleep 10 times in a row.
EDIT2: BZ opened

Edited by Capehill on 2018/2/1 18:12:53
Edited by Capehill on 2018/2/1 18:27:20
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@thellier

Do you know what exactly happen on WinUAE when CompositeTags() is called? Does it return with success or fail? SDL2 should have some serial debug in case CompositeTags() fails. Not sure if serial debug can be easily enabled with WinUAE though.

And why compositing doesn't fallback to native SW rendering?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AmigaBlitter

Please, try to improve the bug reporting. I don't have time to guess what might have happened. What is missing in your report:

- SDL2 SVN revision or git hash
- link to failing binary
- link to source code
- some details what kind of drawing might have been used, like OpenGL or compositing
- possible serial logs. You should know by now that SDL2 logs lots of stuff, being still considered as "beta"

If I have about 30 minutes per day for SDL2 / Amiga, I would rather spend that on something useful.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@capehill
Can we reuse from sdl1 that src/timer/amigaos/ timer based code ? I mean as it, without much (or any) rewriting ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
>[SDL] Do you know what exactly happen on WinUAE when CompositeTags() is called?

I know NOTHING about SDL1 or SDL2 running on WinUAE-ppc : I was just saying that PatchCompositeTags will allow them to works if they use Composition...

>on WinUAE when CompositeTags() is called?
With latest OS41 update
It works (soft rendering) for rectangular compositions
else
Return an error (triangles compositions used for rotated sprites)

With PatchCompositeTags works in both cases

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@thellier

Ok. Seems that SDL2 user documentation needs an update regarding WinUAE and PatchCompositeTags.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Regarding iconifying, "worry-free" solution would be the best. I think there should be an iconification gadget if window has the normal borders (whenever the controls are enabled).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Capehill
Quote:

Regarding iconifying, "worry-free" solution would be the best. I think there should be an iconification gadget if window has the normal borders (whenever the controls are enabled).

Yeah, when there is other gadgets, why not have iconify by default as well, without any needs for specific flags, right:)

Btw, yesterday i tried to enable aos4s timers code in sdl2 (that on from src/timer/amigaos4/) , and while i was able to do it in that "configure" file mess , it seems it also depent on our threading replacement. I.e. as far as i can see, for now in SDL2 we use pthreads, while, we also have in sdl1 : src/thread/amigaos4/ custom threads code. So probably to make os4's custom timing code works, we also need to enable custom threads code as well (and we can get rid of pthreads then as well, which is not bad, less dependencies).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Capehill

usleep() opening timer.device for every call is not really a bug, it's not an illegal thing to do, nor harmful to the system. You wouldn't even notice if not running snoopy.

But in any case try replacing it with ITimer->MicroDelay()

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding usleep, I would have thought that Newlib would have had a timer context for each process. I can accept WONTFIX of course if it works as wanted.

There must be some software that does a crazy amount of tiny usleep calls per second. Perhaps in that kind of scenario problem might become more visible?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

SDL1 concurrency code may have some issues. At least testlock and perhaps some other case was problematic (crash when quit by CTRL-C). If you have time and interest, try to find the bug :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Capehill

sorry for being unclear in reporting this problem, but I only received information from another user and, by running some tests, I noticed that actually no pixels were displayed. I did not have time to do more extensive tests. I also tried patchcomposite, but the problem remains. I will do more test asap, maybe using sashimi.

Retired
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:

But in any case try replacing it with ITimer->MicroDelay()

Please don't. This function busy waits and is not meant to be used as a general purpose wait function.

From the autodoc:
Quote:

This function works by polling the system time until the requested number of microseconds have passed. It should therefore be used only if the regular time delay functions of timer.device are not available, and it should be used only for small delays.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salass00

Quote:

Please don't.

Yeah I retract that suggestion.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Capehill
I know its probably too early, and you are aware yourself how it should work, but i just tested your latest iconification branch , and compile gigalomania game with new sdl2 library, and iconify gadget attached well :) :

Resized Image
(Press open in new tab for fullsize)

Once i press on it, it bring a window with debug words about button being pressed :) So, even if it not ready, it pays of already: no changes need to be done, it just works without any code changes, cool. Thanks !

Btw, seeing code of commits, it looks harder than i hope in begining :) But looks like copy+paste to SDL1 should did the trick.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Iconifying gadget itself is only a minor detail in the picture :)

I am afraid how SDL applications actually react when the native window is closed and re-opened, possibly on a different screen. Problems ahead probably, think OpenGL context and such that are managed by the application.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Capehill

Quote:

I am afraid how SDL applications actually react when the native window is closed and re-opened, possibly on a different screen. Problems ahead probably, think OpenGL context and such that are managed by the application.

They will react with something bewteen a grim reaper and small nuclear explosion!

You have to let the application handle the iconification, send it some sdl equivalent of window.classes WMHI_ICONIFY message, becaue you can't know what resources / processes might need to be suspended, whilst the window is closed.

If SDL has an equivalent of that already some apps might be able to take care of it, if it doesn't then the porter will need to handle it with custom code.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Capehill, Andy
I can be wrong, but SDL itself should take care about via SDL_WM_ICONIFY.At least SDL provide it for iconification reassons

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 72 »