Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Ancient HP printer drivers
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I can already print from my A1-XE to my Postscript Xerox Phaser, at least from Pagestream. But I'm getting a new HP m477 color laser MFP to use with a Windows desktop and to serve as a light duty copier. Will any of the old HP printer drivers included with OS4.1 work with a modern HP color laser?

I don't care about the scanning aspect of it, just printing.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Re: Ancient HP printer drivers
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
You can use any HP driver wich supports PCL. You might use the Postscript driver as well, it should be supported by your HP. At least my HP MFP color laser jet does.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Paul

Printing from Pages Stream (unless using Workbench Drivers) is different, than printing from nearly every other application.

This printer gives you 5 Options (in theory)...

1) Use standard WB Postscript driver (a short internet research proofed Postscript as supported on your printer) from Workbench. I use a Xerox Phaser MFP with this method. Only photos are printed out to dark.

2) Use the HP_photosmart driver from OS4depot.net HP_PCL3 should be also supported. I used that one on my Xerox, but photoprinting results aren't as goog as with Postscript (on Xerox), donnot ask me why.

3) In Turboprint there is an HP Printerdriver supporting up to 600dpi, this should also give good results, didn't work with my Xerox though

4) Print via google cloud or similar. Or send document via E-Mail -> no drivers needed!

5) Your HP understands pdf, however I donnot know how to utilize that...

In case, that you got this beast running, I would be very interested about feedback. Here are my questions:

1) How does the HP_photosmart driver work when printing photos?

2) How does the WB PS driver work when printing photos?

3) Can I scann via Webinterface, does that work with our Amiga Browsers?

4) Can you scan to a ftp server (in my case it's our fritzbox)

5) Does scanning to a SMB Share work (should though, if you read specification)

6) Anybody has scanning functionallity working on PPC Linux (guess not, lack of compatible HPlib under ppc)

Furthermore, I would also be very interested, if there is andybody else who can share their experience with All-in-One Printer/MFP on Amiga and PPC Linux / Amicygnix

Thanks

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@cha05e90

What model are you on? Any downsides?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Paul

Heh. . . icing on the cake. I didn't know this M477 supported PS when I bought it. The wireless printing was very easy right out of the box, including using LPR from the Amiga which is connected by ethernet to the wireless router.

I can open the scanning interface from Odyssey. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet. And it's been a long time since I've had Samba working on my Amiga (like way back when I still had my 4000.) I'll have to look into setting up SMB so I could have a place to store the scans (besides on my Windoze computer.)

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Paul

...maybe it can also scan to a ftp server? That would be much easier to setup.

How is the photoprint quality compared to a windows system?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@gerographQuote:
How is the photoprint quality compared to a windows system?

Pretty good. It's a little bit on the dark side, but not bad. (using PS printer driver from Workbench)

Still haven't had time to check the scanning yet.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@gerograph

It's a HP Color LaserJet Pro M277dw.

Works with AmigaOS 3.9 (netprinter.device) and AmigaOS 4.1 (lpr.device). I use a HPxxxx Workbench driver (for PCL) or sometimes the Workbench Postscript driver.

I must admit that I didn't test colour printing yet (I only have use cases for pure black/white printing...;.)) - but it should work i.e. with a PCL aware color driver (I assume you can use an *ink**desk*jet driver then...). For AmigaOS 4.1 maybe the HP Photosmart driver from OS4Depot does work as well.

Scanning is of course not working out of the box.

Nevertheless a sneaker network by using an USB stick works well. Further it features the "Scan to E-Mail" or "Scan to (Windows) Folder", which could be used from AmigaOS as well. I haven't tested that yet. If you have a NAS in your local network, which can be accessed from your AmigaOS machines, the latter should work. Maybe even our ancient SAMBA could be a solution (alas your Miggy serves as a SMB server).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@cha05e90

Thanx a lot for the infos...anybody tried Turboprint 600dpi with it? Scan2FTP would have been great to have (as my fritzbox serves as a ftp server), have to try wether I can set up a samba share on my fritzbox as well...

Looks like that will be the printer to get

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@gerograph

Doesn't feature the Fritzbox both access methods? My "Telekom" branded router (+ USB3.0-HD serves) as a SMB-Server and as a FTP server. The latter is my hassle free access method for my Miggy systems.

So - in theory - the printer could push it's scan result via SMB to the HD and then that could be fetched by FTP from the Miggy.

BTW: I use Ethernet printing since ages, because our "multi system household" doesn't really work with connecting a printer directly to a computer. So I don't know anything about USB or whatever direct connect to AmigaOS systems.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@cha05e90

Quote:
"Doesn't feature the Fritzbox both access methods?"

That is, what I hope...but I did not check it yet. And yes, if so, it is easy to Access from Amiga via ftp (I already have a working Setup).

Currently my Xerox is also connected via Ethernet and for future Printers it is compulsory.

Go to top

Register To Post