Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 27 »
Re: Enhancer Bug thread
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tlosm
Quote:
welcome in the club ... this is one of the reasons why i will not have any more a-eon products in my home

I guess that means you won't want any UBoot updates for your X5000 or updated X5000 Radeon drivers or other X5000 specific software

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xenic

i dont wont my x5000 too

X5000/40 16GB
RasperryPi 1-2-3-4-(5)
A500 Mini.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigakit

Hi, while I'm waiting for the mantisBT to send me a confirmation email, I report the bug here.

CANDIPrefs does not find it's GUI images if started from Shell or from ContextMenus.
A requester will open: Quote:
Please insert volume "SYS: in any drive

However it does start properly from the Shell when I change to the directory containing it:

10.AmigaOS:> Prefs/CANDIPrefs

opens a requester and the GUI has no images

10.AmigaOS:> CD Prefs
10.AmigaOS:Prefs> CANDIPrefs

Starts properly.

It would be nice if it was fixed, ATM for ContextMenus I'm calling it through APPDIR:

Have a nice day! :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

I'm using an X5000. I used the PlayAHI test program (that you gave a link to) with some added Printf() statements in the LoadSample() function. The printout is good and the 2 example wave files you included with PlayAHI are working. The son_debut.wav is barely audible but both files play. Here is the printout from PlayAHI when I just tested again:

10.Ram_Disk:AHI_Play> playAHI
Loading son_debut.wav
SDTA_Sample: 1701465664
SDTA_LeftSample: 1701465664
SDTA_RightSample: 0
SDTA_SampleLength: 5842
SDTA_SamplesPerSec: 11025
SDTA_BitsPerSample: 16
playing 5842 bytes at 11025 hz
Loading testDT.wav
SDTA_Sample: 1786860352
SDTA_LeftSample: 1786860352
SDTA_RightSample: 0
SDTA_SampleLength: 2147
SDTA_SamplesPerSec: 11025
SDTA_BitsPerSample: 8
playing 2147 bytes at 11025 hz

I also added in the meantime the same printf and all data are the same, except SDTA_Sample: zero here :(

Quote:

I have the same versions as you. Just to be sure here are the file sizes:
wav.datatype = 70352 bytes
sound.datatype = 141388 bytes

Yes same size here

Quote:

For testing the first fix at the end of July I received the mod.datatype, mpega.datatype, wav.datatype and sound.datatype.
For test the latest fix I just received the sound.datatype.

I just got wav.datatype and sound.datatype but I guess mod.datatype and mpega.datatype are not required for the wav loading.

Quote:

As I mentioned, my wav.datatype and sound.datatype are the same version as yours. The only thing I can suggest is to check that you have the right WAVE descriptor in Devs:DataTypes and booting from the partition you updated. Of course the newer datatypes might not get used until rebooting after installing them. Other than that, I don't know why your datatypes are not working like mine.

Yes I used the right parititon and reboot before running PlayAHI. I also checked files versions at this time. So eveything is OK here.

Maybe the WAVE descriptor Devs:DataTypes:
2017-01-29
190 bytes
Do you have the same?

Thank you for your help

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@glames
Quote:
Yes I used the right parititon and reboot before running PlayAHI. I also checked files versions at this time. So eveything is OK here.

Maybe the WAVE descriptor Devs:DataTypes:
2017-01-29
190 bytes
Do you have the same?

Thank you for your help

Yes, my WAVE descriptor is the same.The only other thing I can suggest is that you play a WAVE sound with Multiview (or Multiviewer) and then enter "version sound.datatype" and "version wav.datatype" in a shell to check what versions are in memory. Beyond that, I can't really help you any more.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic,

Yes, I already did that. We use the same version.
Another user has the same problem so I guess the A-EON's fix doesn't work in all cases.

Thanks you

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@glames
Don't feel bad. It stopped working for me too! As you can see in my first post, it worked the first day I received it. I can't really explain why it stopped working today. I didn't change anything on my system.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Bad news :(
Well, now it is a bit more consistent ;)

I sent an e-mail to A-EON a few days ago, so let's wait

Have a good day and thank you again for your help, really appreciated.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@glames
I've investigated what really happened with my testing. I have several boot partitions and I accidently tested the new sound.datatype on a partition that still had the OS4FE wav.datatype installed. Apparently, the latest wav.datatype I was sent for testing is still a streaming datatype. However, the latest test sound.datatype does work for non-streaming datatypes like 8SVX and AIFF. If the new wav.datatype can not be made to return the data address attribute, you can convert your sounds to 8SVX or AIFF and they should work.

Edited by xenic on 2017/8/29 14:38:50

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all
Do to hasty testing my report that the Enhancer wav.datatype was returning an SDTA_Sample attribute was wrong. The latest sound.datatype did fix the SDTA_Sample attribute return by the (non-streaming) 8svx.datatype and aiff.datatype. Sorry for the misleading info.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
A reply from our sound expert developer:

Quote:

The wav datatype will return NULL for SDTA_Sample – it’s because the wav datatype is set to a streaming mode. Commodore documented “SDTA_Continuous” in the 3.1 NDK and defaulted to FALSE; the A-Eon sound datatype is the same in this respect. But that’s because the sound.datatype is a dumb component, it needs to be told what to do. The wav (and mod, mpega) subclass datatypes set SDTA_Continuous to TRUE to enable streaming, resulting in what was subsequently documented in the 3.5 NDK (v39) whereby the SDTA_LeftSample, SDTA_RightSample and SDTA_Sample will be NULL in this scenario. The reason AIFF/8SVX datatypes return a value is because they DO NOT stream – if they did, it would do exactly the same as the wav datatype.

I don’t know how to say it any simpler – this is a feature of a streaming scenario and not a bug – first documented in OS3.x, that has been present for ca. 20 years.

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@amigakit
Hopefully there are no plans to make any more sound datatypes streaming because we need at least one non-streaming datatype for small notification sounds like sending or receiving emails, instant messaging notification or any other programs that notify the user with short sounds.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information

Quote:

The wav datatype will return NULL for SDTA_Sample ? it?s because the wav datatype is set to a streaming mode.

TBH there is no reasonable reason for the WAV datatype to 'stream' by default. Memory is not an issue on modern amigaos systems. By making it stream by default you have broken the compatabilty of a standard system component, and this is *NOT* acceptable.

I haven't tested yet but I expet you can Add AWeb to the list of applications broken by the new datatype.

My suggestion would be that streaming default to off and be enabled by any appliactions that need it, by setting the appropriate flag.

[edit]
This is imporant as there is not an easy way to verify the version of the datatypes classes available, since opening the library directly to check the version can cause the datatypes system to crash.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

Do to hasty testing my report that the Enhancer wav.datatype was returning an SDTA_Sample attribute was wrong. The latest sound.datatype did fix the SDTA_Sample attribute return by the (non-streaming) 8svx.datatype and aiff.datatype. Sorry for the misleading info.

No problem. thank you for info.

@broadblues,

Quote:
TBH there is no reasonable reason for the WAV datatype to 'stream' by default. Memory is not an issue on modern amigaos systems. By making it stream by default you have broken the compatabilty of a standard system component, and this is *NOT* acceptable.

I DO agree.
The compatibility of this standard system component was broken.
Wav datatype must not stream by default as it was always the case, at least on AmigaOS 4 but also on MorphOS. Wav is often used to play small sounds so there is no need to do that.

@Amigakit,

It is *NOT* acceptable.
I already spent 10 days to deal with an ISSUE that is not my fault (but yours).
Moreover, two of my (commercial) games can't play any sounds for more than six months if users install enhanced packs or use X1000 or X5000. So I guess I, didn't make new sales because of it.

So, please FIX it and stop streaming wave files by default.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:
My suggestion would be that streaming default to off and be enabled by any appliactions that need it, by setting the appropriate flag.

Yes, surely SDTA_Continuous can be set on OM_NEW if required, so there's no need for the subclass to be defaulting it to something else?

As a temporary workaround for broken applications, can SDTA_Continuous, FALSE be set in the NewDTObject call? At least temporarily to check this fixes it?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris
Quote:
As a temporary workaround for broken applications, can SDTA_Continuous, FALSE be set in the NewDTObject call? At least temporarily to check this fixes it?

Tried that. If you use GetDTAttrs() to get SDTA_Continuous after
a NewDTObject call that doesn't set SDTA_Continuous, it is already FALSE.
Setting it to FALSE in NewDTObject() doesn't change anything; SDTA_Sample is still NULL.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Glames

If you turn off streaming in the new WAV datatype, it will in turn disable the new MultiChannel and downmixing support and all the other new features of the sound datatype as the WAV will be limited to the mono/left/right channels.

A small conditional block of 10 lines of code in your programs and you can support much richer and modern sound features.

Do we really want to be stuck in the 1990s with the old Sound DTC ?

Do you want to offer you customers the best sound experience in your product?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@amigakit

excuse me, but that isn't your call to make. you replaced an OS component outright which behaves differently, and you're asking third-party developers to change their code instead?!

this is *precisely* the reason why replacing OS components can be a bad idea. offering alternatives, no problem. that let's the users and developers decide. but overwriting the official software willy-nilly and expecting everyone else to support that is a bit much.

i'm really thrilled A-EON is doing so much, and i don't want to make it sound like i'm against all of the wonderful things you guys do, but you aren't hyperion. you aren't the OS vendor. either everything you replace must be 100% backwards compatible, or don't overwrite OS components. IMO, of course....

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@eliyahu

I am simply *encouraging* use of the new richer features in software in the interests of progression of our platform.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@amigakit

Quote:
I am simply *encouraging* use of the new richer features in software in the interests of progression of our platform.

heh. i know. i just really wish you'd reconsider the policy of overwriting the installed OS components.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 27 »