Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

TheMagicSN, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 27 »
Re: Enhancer Bug thread
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all,

Thank you for your suggestions and ideas.

The problem is even more serious that I thought.

They (A-EON) think that there is no bug in the new advanced Sound Datatype as it now "streams" by default.

So they changed the way (sound) datatypes work under AmigaOS 4 and it breaks the API compatibility.

The example code source I've uploaded is the official AmigaOS 4 way to do thing if you want to use datatypes and AHI and it doesn't work any longer because of IDataTypes->GetDTAttrs and the "different way of handling the new datatype in code".

Source code can be found here:
http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Programm ... atypes_-_Making_Life_Easy

So, in other words, they want me to change my code source to adapt to the Enhancer package. I won't do that.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@amigakit

Quote:
As per the documentation, Getting the SDTA_[Left|Right]Sample attributes when streaming sound results in a null response (that's from V44 autodocs). The A-Eon datatypes stream by default.

I believe (but am happy to be corrected) those are only supposed to return NULL if the DataType doesn't support extracting the data (ie. only streams like the MPEGA DT) or - based on the wording you've given, but not something I'm familiar with - if the DataType is currently streaming, ie. SDTM_PLAY has been called.

In all other cases the sample data should be returned.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amigakit Quote:
MPEGA library is not included because of licencing issues.

It shouldn't be hard to ask the user if the installer should automatically download & install the MPEGA.library from OS4Depot. (One call to Curl, one call to LHA to unpack in RAM, one copy & rename of the correct .library file, and you are about done. Ideally add an error check for Curl download failure & option to retry.)

Let me add that I saw TWO users at my local Amiga club who could not work out how to make TuneNet play MP3 files. Not everyone is an Amiga wizard, and if we want to retain (and expand) the Amiga user base then things need to "just work" where possible. (RunInUAE taught me that good documentation isn't not worth nearly as much as a smart installer script, and sensible defaults.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris
Quote:
I believe (but am happy to be corrected) those are only supposed to return NULL if the DataType doesn't support extracting the data (ie. only streams like the MPEGA DT) or - based on the wording you've given, but not something I'm familiar with - if the DataType is currently streaming, ie. SDTM_PLAY has been called.

In all other cases the sample data should be returned.

Since I'm getting suspicous of the excuses we're being given (like AmigaKit's statement: "The A-Eon datatypes stream by default."), I decided to observe the WAVE datatype streaming. I converted an 8 minute AIFF song to WAVE, opened Snoopy and played the WAVE file with a datatype player. I expected to see a lot of 'Read' commands in Snoopy as the song played but what I saw was the entire 83+ MB file read into memory before sound play started. That doesn't seem like streaming to me.

When I complained that the new sound.datatype was playing mono sounds through a single channel instead of both stereo channels like the OS4 dound.datatype I was told it was not possible with the new sound.datatype. I have my doubts about that too.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AmigaKit
Gulp. Guess I have to apologize for my negative remarks. Sorry.

The updated sound.datatype now works with glames test program. The correct SDTA_Sample attribute is now being returned by GetDTAttrs() for WAVE and 8SVX datatypes.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@glames
I've just tested an updated version of sound.datatype. GetDTAttrs() is returning the correct attribute value for SDTA_Sample when used with AIFF and 8SVX sound files. Wave files still don't work with PlayAHI.

Edited by xenic on 2017/8/29 14:26:16

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

When I complained that the new sound.datatype was playing mono sounds through a single channel instead of both stereo channels like the OS4 dound.datatype I was told it was not possible with the new sound.datatype. I have my doubts about that too.

I believe this is 'design choice' as a consequence of support 7.1 style multiple channels, though I may be wrong. Expanding mono to stereo being trivial, expanding it to more becomes a more complex decision process unless you play back though all 8!

Maybe the author of the sound datatype could comment?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
A technical explanation of the new advanced Sound DTC in the Enhancer Software from our resident sound expert, Kevin:

Quote:

The API compatibility isn't broken - it's the same as it's always been since 3.9 and I try to take great care (sometimes fail) with the sound.datatype to make it so.  What you're experiencing is a NULL return value for the SDTA_Sample (or the left/right equivalent) which is clearly described in the OS3.9 and OS4 sound_dtc autodoc:

"SDTA_Sample [...] For streaming sound playback, SDTA_LeftSample,
SDTA_RightSample, and SDTA_Sample will all be NULL (V44)"

...and...

"SDTA_Continuous [...] Default for this tag is FALSE"

These statements hold true for the new sound.datatype - the SDTA_Continuous flag is FALSE but if it is set, the sample attributes will return NULL for a whole variety of reasons - the main one being that there is no single buffer.  I was about to argue that if you perform the SDTA_Sample when loading 8SVX or AIFF samples, you SHOULD get the buffer as these are the stock OS4 datatypes that don't stream.  As pointed out by "Xenic" on amigans.net, unfortunately it turns out that didn't work either - all my fault - but I have now fixed this scenario and shall have sent the new version to Matthew for his approval.

Now, the new A-EON datatypes for wav, mod and mpega are self-streaming - that is, the subclasses instruct the sound.datatype to set SDTA_Continuous and expect a stream.  It doesn't make sense for audio files, especially compressed, to persist in memory in one large buffer - MP3 files can expand quite significantly and consume 50+MB of memory for several minutes when you only need a few kilobytes per second.  This is especially pertinent under A1XE/SE with lower memory resources or even OS3.9 (if the datatypes ever make an appearance there) along with slow longer times on those machines!

Let's not forget that the sound.datatype is 25 years old and was designed primarily for small one-shot samples of that era which could be loaded into memory - that's not where we are today.  I will, however, investigate how easy it would be to load smaller files into memory and switch to streaming above some threshold - no guarantees on that though.

If you're really wanting to read all of the data from the file, there is the SDTM_FETCH method (which takes sdtFetch msg) where you can read data, regardless of whether it is streaming or not.  You can request the number of samples or number of bytes by way of setting a flag.  You can even change the format by supplying appropriate attributes.  Just make sure your buffer is big enough to take the data you want and you may have to make several calls to get everything.  This method was created for this very purpose (and another reason I won't go into).

@xenic

Don't worry, thanks for your nice email.

@Kas1e

Please be reassured that we respond very quickly to any queries that are made about Enhancer Software components and if any problems are present, they are fixed as rapidly as possible.

Updater is a wonderful new tool inside the latest Enhancer Software v1.3 that can be used to distribute updated components quickly and easily to our customers.

The Enhancer Software is a living, evolving and rapidly growing project that may experience small teething problems along the way but has come a long way in just one year. There are still lots of exciting developments to come.

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Xenic and @Chris,

Thank you for your help and "investigations".

It's indeed sure that wave datatype loading doesn't stream by default on AmigaOS 4, because my games wouldn't play any sounds on non "enhanced" machines and hopefuly, it works well on those systems :)

@Xenic,

Thank you for good news. I don't have myself any enhanced systems here.

The ultimate test would be to instal Ask Me Up Demo:
http://glames.online.fr/products/askmeup/AskMeUp_Demo.lha
Sound is activated by default.
Only if you have time. Thank you.

@AmigaKit,

Thank you for answers and update.

I'm not against the "Enhancer" package. I just want that OS4 games/software still work if it's installled. I"m sure I'm not asking too much ;)

Edited by glames on 2017/8/25 8:20:34
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AmigaKit,

I've bought "Enhancer Software Special Edition" to try by myself and there is still the sound issue (SDTA_Sample is NULL).

But it seems that I don't have the good wav.datatype.

I've sent you more details by e-mail.

Thank you

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
OK, so it seems that I've got now the right wav.datatype (53.28 2017-07-26) and the lastest sound.datatype (53.30 2017-08-23).

Unfortunately, it's still the same: SDTA_Sample returns NULL (others attributes are OK). No sound played.

I use an AmigaOne XE G4. Same result on a X1000 .

@Xenic,
Which Amiga do you use? Do you have the same wav.datatype and sound.datatype as me ? Do I need other files?

Thank you

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@glames
Quote:
Unfortunately, it's still the same: SDTA_Sample returns NULL (others attributes are OK). No sound played.

I use an AmigaOne XE G4. Same result on a X1000

I'm using an X5000. I used the PlayAHI test program (that you gave a link to) with some added Printf() statements in the LoadSample() function.
The original test results I included were flawed and the wav.datatype still doesn't appear to return the SDTA_Sample attribute.
(test results removed)

Quote:
Do you have the same wav.datatype and sound.datatype as me ?

I have the same versions as you. Just to be sure here are the file sizes:
wav.datatype = 70352 bytes
sound.datatype = 141388 bytes

For testing the first fix at the end of July I received the mod.datatype, mpega.datatype, wav.datatype and sound.datatype.
For test the latest fix I just received the sound.datatype.

As I mentioned, my wav.datatype and sound.datatype are the same version as yours. The only thing I can suggest is to check that you have the right WAVE descriptor in Devs:DataTypes and booting from the partition you updated. Of course the newer datatypes might not get used until rebooting after installing them.

Edited by xenic on 2017/8/29 14:22:32

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amigakit

Quote:

Please be reassured that we respond very quickly to any queries that are made about Enhancer Software components and if any problems are present, they are fixed as rapidly as possible.

Wrong

Two issues:
1 - One month has passed with absolutely NO comment!
First reminder
Second reminder

2- Eleven days without a single respond!

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel
I can confirm your little bug by explicitly following the directions you gave in your first post about the problem. In general the cursor in MultiEdit is unusual in that it disappears if you click outside the editing area. I think the cursor in NotePad remains as long as the window is active. The cursor in TTX is just ghosted when the window is inactive so you still know where the cursor is; which is what I prefer.

Does the "Help" key (Scroll Lock on the keyboard) work with MultiEdit for you? Here Multiviewer opens with an empty window and the system freezes. I'm using a new X5000 so I don't know yet if it's a problem with the program or the OS.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel

To be fair, you're posting on a third-party website in a thread containing multiple conversations. It's easy for things to get buried and then overlooked (yes, even multiple times). I know I don't check in every day, nor do I wade through long threads.

Emails can get buried quickly too. That's why I ask people to submit bug reports to the official bug tracker: [url=http://amigadeveloper.com/bugreports/here, for A-EON's software[/url].

IMPORTANT: Make sure that the bug report is assigned to the program's author, or they won't get notified. I've missed a few reports that way.**

Hans

** Note to self: need to make sure projects have default assignees...

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic
Quote:

In general the cursor in MultiEdit is unusual in that it disappears if you click outside the editing area.

This is to allow the rest of the GUI to function. When the editor gadget is active, all event are eaten by it so no keyboard or menu shortcuts work. (Some menu shortscuts are duplicated Ramiga C/ V/ X / B etc but not all) Nor do the filelisters. Or tabs.

Quote:

I think the cursor in NotePad remains as long as the window is active.

NO it doesn't, if you click outside of the editor gadget is deactivates, then gadget is reactivated after a short pause

The difference in MultiEdit is that it doesn't automaticaly reactivate the editor gadget until you move the move over the gadget.

Quote:

The cursor in TTX is just ghosted when the window is inactive so you still know where the cursor is; which is what I prefer.

Does TTX use the texteditor.gadget?

Quote:

Does the "Help" key (Scroll Lock on the keyboard) work with MultiEdit for you? Here Multiviewer opens with an empty window and the system freezes.

No lockup here. (on x1000) Loads the file ENHANCER:Documentation/MultiEdit/MultiEdit.html and displays using simplehtml.datatype in MultiViewer

The help doc displayed is set by the tooltype

HELPDOC=ENHANCER:Documentation/MultiEdit/MultiEdit.html

You might like to check the icon for that file isn't referening to an older MultiViewer with the bug on displaying text

If you delete the file
ENHANCER:Documentation/MultiEdit/MultiEdit.html.info
(or your local equivalent)

Then it will display via UrlOpen and you'll get the benefit of the HTMl5 layout.

Set the tooltype to
HELPDOC=ENHANCER:Documentation/MultiEdit/MultiEdit.doc

For the flat text displayed in MultiViewer

Quote:

I'm using a new X5000 so I don't know yet if it's a problem with the program or the OS.

Do you get a crashlog on serial? Should be able to work it out from that.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues
Quote:
The difference in MultiEdit is that it doesn't automaticaly reactivate the editor gadget until you move the move over the gadget.

My post wasn't really a complaint but an expression of my personal preferences in text editors.

Quote:
Does TTX use the texteditor.gadget?

No. TTX (TurboText) is an OS3 (68k) text editor. It just has some features that I prefer for programming. I't probably not fair for me to compare a programmer's editor to a general purpose text editor.

Quote:
Do you get a crashlog on serial? Should be able to work it out from that.

No. The freeze was a fluke. Apparently, something else had destabalized my system. After turning off the X5000 and restarting, the problem is just an error that pops up in a console. Because I've removed some Enhancer files and programs that I don't use, I'm going to install Enhancer on a spare boot partition and test again to be sure the problem isn't due to something I've changed or removed from my main boot partition.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues
O.K. Because I had originally purchased Multiviewer seperately, I ended up with Multiviewer installed in 2 different places, conflicting assignments and possibly other issues. Now that I've got that problem worked out, the Help key is working in MultiEdit and the HTML docs open in Multiviewer.

Unfortunately my seperate version of Multiviewer is showing up in AmiStore as up-to-date when in fact it is at least one version behind the Multiviewer in Enhancer 1.3. I think AmigaKit needs to update the seperate version at AmiStore.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

welcome in the club ... this is one of the reasons why i will not have any more a-eon products in my home

X5000/40 16GB
RasperryPi 1-2-3-4-(5)
A500 Mini.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Thank you for caring

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 27 »