Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 98

MartinW, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Google Cloud Print and OS4
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I've managed to knock together a Google Cloud Print device driver for OS4. It's a bit rough'n'ready but works more-or-less reliably as far as I can tell.

I'm using a printer which is connected via a Pi, CUPS and the official Linux Google Cloud Print Connector - so it could probably do with some testing with other printers and less exotic connection methods.

If anybody is interested in testing please post here or PM/email me.

A proper release won't be happening until I polish it up, make it a bit easier to configure and put in some proper error messages - ie. no time soon - so if you are in need of such a thing you might want to sign up now.

edit I have enough now, thanks!

edit 04/05
I need a "prefs" icon for this if somebody arty is reading and willing to help!

Edited by Chris on 2017/4/20 13:49:54
Edited by Chris on 2017/5/3 23:06:21
Edited by Chris on 2017/5/4 8:26:31
Edited by Chris on 2017/5/4 8:27:02
Go to top
Re: Google Cloud Print and OS4 [TESTERS WANTED]
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Hmm, I was expecting a little more interest given how many threads I see with people complaining about printing, so here's some more information as obviously I didn't sell it enough.

With Google Cloud Print and the PostScript* driver, you can print to any printer that (a) natively supports Google Cloud Print, (b) is connected to a Windows or Mac computer running Chrome, or (c) is connected to Windows, Mac or Linux running Google Cloud Print Connector.

You can also "print" to Google Drive, or print to somebody else's printer they have shared with you.

PDF and PostScript files can be directly copied to the GCP: device to be printed.

* Officially, Google Cloud Print supports PDF, and PostScript is an aside... maybe somebody can take up the challenge of writing a PDF printer driver for better compatibility?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Excellent!!

This looks like a great bridge to more modern printing.

I have a color laserjet now I'll need to set up one of the winblows machines as a Google print server.

If I can help, just mail my usual nickname at gmail.com

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
This could be a really nice way to solve some of our troubles.

I'm running a Linux server at home so I may be interested by this driver since it would allow me to be able to print from our HP Deskjet.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Great! Now a real reason to get Google Print working on my Printer.

Cheers,
Bill 'tekmage' Borsari

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris
I could not work out how to get "Google Cloud Print Connector" to work with Linux. The site you linked seems to want you to download the source code yourself :(

I haven't yet investigated what you need to do for Windows PCs, but I presume that is at least a pre-packaged installer...

P.S. I think the lack of response is mostly due to people not really knowing what the hell "Google Cloud Print" is or how it's relevant to them. Even on Android phones most people never used Google Cloud Print, so instead Google had to add to Android support for the manufacturers to install their own network printer drivers...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I would like to join in (and would also like a decent, modern printing solution for AOS), but my printer is unfortunately not supported by Google Cloud Print.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@LyleHaze
I'll email you later.

@ChrisH

Quote:
I could not work out how to get "Google Cloud Print Connector" to work with Linux. The site you linked seems to want you to download the source code yourself :(

I haven't yet investigated what you need to do for Windows PCs, but I presume that is at least a pre-packaged installer...

Yes, unfortunately they don't have binaries at the moment for anything other than Windows (they used to; I'm using an old ARM binary version). https://github.com/google/cloud-print-connector/releases
You can also just run Chrome.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
What makes this solution better than cups and IPP.device?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Ami603

ipp.device doesn't work with CUPS 1.7.5 (it does work with unspecified earlier versions), and I haven't been able to coerce the newer libcups source code into working properly on OS4.

Which reminds me I was going to sort out a repo for it so others can tinker, I'll do that now!

(edit: if it works for you, great! But don't be surprised if it stops working)

(edit2: this device uses my own code so if it breaks it should be easier to fix)

Edited by Chris on 2017/4/19 18:44:06
Edited by Chris on 2017/4/20 19:53:16
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
using cloud print already at home i'm also interested in testing

regards...
michael

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

I'll send you an email later.

@everyone else

I have enough testers now, thanks!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
P.S. I think the lack of response is mostly due to people not really knowing what the hell "Google Cloud Print" is or how it's relevant to them.

Yes, please excuse my ignorance - I don't know what it is and why I should need that, especially because

@LyleHaze
Quote:
I have a color laserjet now

...I i.e. just sat up my HP Colour Laserjet via lpr.device and just, ahem, print?!? (from all my 5 active AmigaOS machines...)

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cha05e90

The simple answer, is that with your setup you have no need of it.

Likewise I simply do all my printing by ftping the ps/pdf files to the LaserJet.

But could be quite useful for those with non Postcript printers.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cha05e90

Yeah. What Andy said. :)

To add a bit of detail, any "Cloud Print" ready printer would work. But also, any printer with a Windows driver could be reached through Chrome.

While the idea of having a windows machine act as a print server is not ideal, it does have a VERY wide fan-out.

GCP also works great with Android devices, so you can print easily whether you are at home or away, from your cell phone.

Another possibility that may have been overlooked, you can print easily to any GCP printer that has been shared with you. So it takes "remote printing" to any application that needs it.

But the part that gets me most enthusiastic is that this one driver could potentially reach ANY KIND of printer. and that kind of flexibility is a good thing to support.

Just my thoughts, worth all that you paid for them :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LyleHaze/@broadblues

Thanks for clarification! Though I'm happy with my networked local printing setup - I use both PS and PCL btw. - it seems indeed a nice way to broaden printing possibilities for AmigaOS.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
<double post>

Go to top
Re: Google Cloud Print and OS4 [ICON WANTED!]
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I need a "prefs" icon in the OS4.1 style if somebody reading this is willing and able to help.

Thanks in advance!

edit Sorted, thanks!

Edited by Chris on 2017/5/4 8:28:24
Edited by Chris on 2017/5/4 8:28:39
Go to top
Re: Google Cloud Print and OS4
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Released: https://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk/download.php?file=gcp_dev

If you have the beta please update.

I'll do a proper news item when I have more time.

Go to top
Re: Google Cloud Print and OS4
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris
Thanks. I hope to get around to trying this sometime...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »