Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
66 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 »
Re: WookieChat 2.12 (27.01.10)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jabirulo
If you want to follow kas1e's advice, there should be a more recent version of libdebug.a in your SDK:clib2/lib/ directory. In my SDK I've created a link in SDK:newlib/lib/ to the libdebug.a in clib2:
CD SDK:newlib/lib
makelink SOFT libdebug.a TO //clib2/lib/libdebug.a

DebugPrintF() might work but after looking at the stuff that the functions in the WookieChat debug.c are doing, it might be better to just use kputc in libdebug.a.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic & @kas1e

Ok, will revert to use debug lib.
Erm Im not good at debugging stuff (niether at programming), but will try to do some tes and see why it crashes in such line.

And is it "safe" to mix clib2 and newlib stuff?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jabirulo
Not very safe probably, but with libdebug it tested to death with different projects (dopus4,dopus5,odyssey,muiplayer,vpdf and whatever else few of us works on)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jabirulo

NEVER mix different C runtime libraries. Choose either one or the other, but do not mix them. Although they (amost) offer the same set of features and functions they are operating on completely different internal structures.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

CD SDK:newlib/lib
makelink SOFT libdebug.a TO //clib2/lib/libdebug.a

No!

YOu can't take libraries from clib2 and use then with newlib. You *might* get away with it with very simple ones, or ones with very little clibrary related stuff ( ie mostly OS calls) but you add an uncertainty that you can never really trust if bugs are real or not.

If you really want to use libdebug from clib2 with newlib then grab the src code and port it over to newlib!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jabirulo
Quote:

Ok, will revert to use debug lib.
Erm Im not good at debugging stuff (niether at programming), but will try to do some tes and see why it crashes in such line.

And is it "safe" to mix clib2 and newlib stuff?

Under normal circumstances clib2 & newlib object files and link libraries should not be mixed. However, in light of the fact that the clib2 debug library has been used with newlib in other applications (as kas1e pointed out), I think it's O.K. for you to use it for debugging. If you can find the bugs and fix them, then a public release should be done by someone who has commit privileges at the program repository; namely kas1e. He can decide if the clib2 debug library should be used in a public release. It's almost a moot point because the debug output will probably be deactivated in a public release (by removing -DDEBUG from the makefile).

In short, go ahead and use clib2 libdebug.a for debugging and let kas1e decide what to do about a public release.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues & tboeckel
If you are really that adamant about mixing clib2 & newlib library components, compile a newlib version and release it on OS4Depot.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

So after you have fixed strlen crash due to NULL Channel*, where the next crash happens?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Capehill
Quote:

So after you have fixed strlen crash due to NULL Channel*, where the next crash happens?

:) That wasn't fixed of course , it was just temporary workoround probably, as problem is somewhere else..

To be honest better way will be first build aros and/or morphos binaries, test them (to see if that works at all), and only if , then trying to fix os4 build.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic
Quote:

When I ran the compiled WookieChat without it's home directory, it crashed right away. When I D/L WookieChat 2.11 from OS4Depot and used the installer, it replaced my OS4.1FEu1 codesets.library with an ancient version of codesets library; very bad. I updated WookieChat with v2.12b15 and it runs but when I select a server and click connect it fails to connect.

You basically don't need to install it. Just get version from os4depot, unpack somewhere, build new binary, replace old one, and run from shell : you will see crash. You even will be not able to do anything.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Hmm.. but the fact the there actually is a NULL check later in the same function indicates to me that original developer expects Channel* to be NULL in some cases.

Do MorphOS and AROS catch zero page hits?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Capehill
Can't tests aros or mos versions at moment sadly. But that for sure will help a lot if someone will build latest revision for one of those platforms and test.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
I just spent an hour building clib2 with newlib (-mcrt=newlib) and libdebug.a is exactly the same size as the one I compiled with clib2. A binary diff says they are exactly the same. I'll do some serial output testing with the newlib version tommorrow but it looks to me like using a clib compiled link library is OK in some cases; despite the dire warnings from others.

I checked the repository and deadwood made some changes after the initial import and then geit made a lot of changes the next month. Since it appears that they are programming for AROS & MOS, the OS4 functionality may have gotten messed up. It might be a good idea to check out the original code (revision 1 or 2) and see if that will compile and work. If the original code works then somebody (not me!) can check out later revisions to determine where things went wrong.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

I just spent an hour building clib2 with newlib (-mcrt=newlib)

That by itself wouldn't work as you are still using the local clib2 includes, you need to remove the -Iinclude or similar from the makefile as well.

BTW you don't have to spend an hour building th whiole clib2 just do

make -f GNUMakefile.os4 lib/libdebug.a

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
After fixing the strlen() bug, next crash is here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/wookiechat/c ... iclass_application.c#l446

because MM_ChannelFind() returned NULL pointer which is not again checked in the line 446..

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Capehill
Imho, it will crashes all the time one crash by next one, as Channel shouldn't be null in first place. Just need to understand why it null in that place where first crash happens.. We even can't say "After fixing the strlen() bug, next crash is here:" , as we didn't fix it, we just deal with side effect , but problem is that Channels NULL, while should't.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

I haven't really IRCed for years so I don't know how WookieChat should work. However, when it starts, it's not connected to any server so there are no channels which sounds logical to me.

Anyway, after fixing the second crash, it is possible to connect some server. But after that I wasn't able to give any commands from keyboard.

Finally there is yet another crash when quitting.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Capehil
Yeah, i goin till the same state : after workoround strlen one, i then ignore second one (it can be ignored) and the same can't type a shit ) Ie. i can type, but can't "enter" it.

Btw, for me, it connectes to the server right after i run it (by default). I.e. i run binary, type nickname/name/etc, and then i can see via debug that it tries to connect to some server (amigaworld.de or something don't remember). And then it crashes. So probably it still want to feel Channel after connecting (as expected).

I think (but can be wrong), that this all all the same one bug, which we meet with different crash.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues
Quote:
That by itself wouldn't work as you are still using the local clib2 includes, you need to remove the -Iinclude or similar from the makefile as well.

I understand your concern, but compiling with newlib includes didn't make much difference; the resulting libdebug.a files are the same size but a binary diff shows several differences. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

I have found something else I don't like. If you read change entry SDK:Documentation/Libs/clib2/changes "c.lib 1.129 (18.6.2004)" it states that libdebug calls RawPutChar() and RawMayGetChar() through the 68k LVO. I checked the code and that's still the case. Those 2 functions have prototyes in SDK:Include/include_h/proto/exec.h so I'm wondering why clib2 debug output is going through the 68k emulation instead of the PPC functions.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all
Mazze checked aros build (see here). And its crashes exactly on the same place as our first crash.

What mean, wookie's code in latest revisioin just broken. Is it because of latest changes on SVN done by geit year ago, or is it because of anything else dunno. But fact is, code is broken in repo itself and for aros, and for os4. Interesting to check if it works on morphos at all..

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 »