Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 95

kishigo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

CrossCompiler for C/C++ necessary?
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
How much necessary is for you all a CrossCompiler environment for C/C++ ? Do you use them? Are you happy with them? Would you like something more advanced? Which OS would you like it to support?

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Re: CrossCompiler for C/C++ necessary?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
They necessary today for any big project .. Also for any big porting work from linux. Because not only latest compiler/linker matter with all that new features of language itself, but also latest stuff such as make, bison, auto tools, scripts, parsers and all kind of stuff which present in whole cross-compiler environment and works without problems. Some of which even didn't present on aos.

I for myself happy that Sebastian still works on adtools, and most of time adapt necessary language features for us. Basically it enough to clone his sources, and build cross-compiler for own needs and tests (he give pretty ok txt about how to build it)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@walkero

I don't use cross compilers, and I'm not happy with them, it's hazel having to run Linux to compile stuff on AmigaOS.

Maybe if compiling OWB it might be necessary.
Compiling MPlayer its not, necessary with cross compiler.

Anyway it's totally possible develop software on windows 10 / Virtual Studio, and test software under windows, using cross platform libraries like Allegro or SDL, and just compile on Amiga when it's done. The only issue are endian thing that fixed when loading / saving binary files.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@walkero
I use the AmiDevCpp cross-compiler, as I need to compile C++ (generated by PortablE) for OS4/OS3/MOS/AROS (and Windows!).

However, it seems the author of AmiDevCpp is very busy, and not have time to fix bugs, so an alternative cross-compiler (which preferably ran on Windows) would be very useful...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

With cygwin installed you can quite easily build your own gcc cross compiler from the adtools sources.

https://github.com/sba1/adtools

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Being able to compile for the Amigalike OSes from OS4 is what would gain my interest
I can't understand why developers ( or would-try to be developers ) are not given more attention as potential NG hardware buyers
Adding a question to the poll, how interested developers are in this possibility might trigger some action.
I'll vote for: very much interested

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salass00
This warning does not sound very hopeful for non-OS4 Amiga-like systems:
Quote:
At the moment only the version for the latest AmigaOS version (4.x) is in a relatively good shape while this is probably not the case for the other systems.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

I wrote a guide on how to build an AROS cross compiler using the patches from the AROS contrib source archive some time ago:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26 ... s_crosscompiler_setup.txt

The procedure is pretty much the same for cygwin as for linux.

If the guide doesn't work for you just build AROS from source and the build system will create a cross compiler for you.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salass00 Quote:
just build AROS from source

(faints)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I wrote:
Quote:
an alternative cross-compiler (which preferably ran on Windows)

I hadn't even considered it a possibility, but one which ran on AmigaOS4 would probably be even better.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Windows 10 has support for User Mode Linux, built into the NT kernel, its possible you might just install linux distribution under windows/UML kernel, and so use Linux cross compiler from windows shell.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
>Windows 10 [...] so use Linux cross compiler from windows shell.

Yes but this add nothing to the easy to use Cygwin solution:

http://www.amiga-ng.org/viewtopic.php?topic=2112&forum=14

Alain Thellier

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

Quote:
just build AROS from source

(faints)

It's a fully automated build system so you just have to run ./configure specifying what target you want to build AROS for and then make.

The instructions are available here:

http://aros.sourceforge.net/documentation/developers/compiling.php

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00

Would love to see a live stream video cross compiling a common Programming environment like MONO/MonoDevelop/MonoGame.

MONO on raspberry PI
http://logicalgenetics.com/raspberry-pi-and-mono-hello-world/

Mono is currently ported to every Console / mobile device for write once portability.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I was eventually forced to set one up. It's not that hard to build the adtools yourself, the most time consuming task is updating the SDK. On the Amiga it's automatically updated with AmiUpdate, but on my Linux, I have to download each lib manually. There was a script on os4depot that did kind of that, but it only supports an old SDK.
And now I've also ended up with like 3 different GCC versions, each with their own SDK. Very confusing.

I do however edit my files on the Amiga, and then transfer them to Linux where I build. Currently using subversion for transfer – would much rather have something better, more automatic.

Maintainer and developer for Jamiga2 - Java for Amiga
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jaokim

How about an SMB share on the Linux machine, and SMBFS on the Amiga? You could even make an SDK: assign to the place on the SMB share where your SDK copy is, that way it could be kept updated by AmiUpdate (most of the time, at least; you may see some problems with updates that try to make links etc.). Of course, then your Amiga-based SDK copy would need updating in some other way ...

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post