Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Printing with Amiga
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

OS4.1FE users could use their 'waiting for updates' time instead of sitting around saying 'is it done yet?' 10 times a minute

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Severin
I guess you must be talking about that other Amiga website. The one where subtle trolling (or simple nastiness, it's hard to tell the difference) are allowed...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

LOL! it's a fair point. i suppose making a step-by-step guide might be useful for the rpi option; but i find the easiest thing is just to use a supported printer. between the built-in postscript driver, turboprint, the third-party photosmart driver (for PCL), and lpr.device, there are loads of choices out there.

the only instance where the rpi+CUPS+IPP solution was necessary was with a particular IBM infoprint beast we have at the office.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@eliyahu

Quote:
the only instance where the rpi+CUPS+IPP solution was necessary was with a particular IBM infoprint beast we have at the office.

Here it was necessary because my printer only has Dot4 USB. The printer driver wasn't the issue (it's PCL, works fine with the HP LaserJet drivers), but the USB driver.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I only just worked out that "rpi" is some strange way of writing "Raspberry Pi". "RPi" would make a lot more sense to me.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
IIRC, one of the AROS guys was working on porting CUPS or Gutenprint. What happened to that project? What would it take to get that project across the line?

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

terminills@Hyperion Support Forum:

Quote:
Not quite true. I stopped working on it as I had no time. So I handed everything over to A-eon. If someday when I have some spare time there still isn't any progress I may pick it back up again.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Dandy

sorry for the late reply.. yes you can print also photos. You have to check if your printer support the e-print (email print). If so, you just send an email with all the attachments you want to print and the printer does the job.

Nowadays all printers have this feature and if you installed on your amiga system the ztools utility, you have a good utility called Attach Simple Mail or Attach Yam (depend on what mailer you use). With this utility, with a simple right click mouse, you can attach everything you want and send it by email..

Hope it helps

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nubechecorre

Just to understand e-print. Does it mean there is the need of an internet connection and my document leaves my house, "gets half around the world" and comes back to my printer standing 40cm next to my computer?!

If it is indeed like that, that's really some advancement in technology! :-O

I have the feeling something isn't right...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Draby
Quote:

Original by Draby:

Hi, TurboPrint 7.60 has a PCL driver, which means it will work with modern printers that can use it, in TP prefs I selected HP_DeskJet5550 as it uses the PCL driver and has hi-resolution settings (4800dpi).

I've used this with an HP2575 all-in-one (now faulty), but am currently using a HP OfficeJet Pro 8615, though I wish I'd bought something smaller,
in TP prefs/config I found that a paper type has to be selected as "auto" crashed things.

Both of these were/are network connected using lpr.device, so things aren't quite as bad as they appear.
Draby

Thanks for this hint, mate. I'll check this out as soon as I got a new printer.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daedalus
Quote:

Original by Daedalus:

Sometimes using a printer over CUPS like that isn't really doable ... but until then all my printing has to happen under Windows or Linux.

Hummm - I seem to have a weak remembrance that at some point in history (before the first OS 4 release) someone from the OS4 developers/Hyperion (Rogue?) announced that "CUPS" was meant to become the new printing system of the Amiga NG OS and to replace the 'quasi-standard' TurboPrint.

Does my Memory serve me right?
And if so, what has become of it?

Ciao,
Dandy
-----------------------------------------------------------
If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him.
He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him!
(...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nubechecorre

Thanks for explaining!

Ciao,
Dandy
He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him!
(...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@whose
Quote:

Original by whose:

It´s a pity that Irsee won´t do us the favour to update TP-Amiga to the level of TP-Linux. Maybe enough money would change this, so if you would be so kind to spend them several 100000 €...

Hummm - I do not want to buy IrseeSoft...

Ciao,
Dandy
(...
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Amigo1

Yes, eprint is useful if you are not in the office and you receive something important that you want to print and you do not want to forget about it. So, in this scenario, you send an email to your printer and when you come back to your office, your document is there.

I use this feature to print with my amiga, for me is the easiest and fastest way to print with my Sam440ep

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris
If I were sure your Raspberry (or whatever) would allow printing properly from the Ubuntu side of my AmigaOne X1000, I would dive right in, so please tell me it would definitely work.

I print with an HP Officejet 6700. It handles printing from Amiga OS4 pretty well, if I am careful enough with Printer Prefs. (Well, for some reason I am no longer able to print what shows on a FinalWriter window, but that's beside the point.)

From Ubuntu (12.04, 16.04, 16.10) I can only print grey scale. Anything with color in it smears like crazy, and black and white will smear too if I don't remember to be sure I haven't unset color printing. If I can settle for black and white, Ubuntu does better than AOS4.1FE. Anything with color in it must be transfered from Ubuntu to Amiga for printing.

Would your solution allow printing my files as PostScript to my non-PS printer and perhaps avoid the smearing?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Draby

I have an OfficeJet 8610, and would love to keep it when I get my X5000 later this year. I SO adore it :)

Could you give me some advice on how you set yours up? I'll buy TP if needed. Sadly, the 8610 doesn't support PS or PCL3. So I'm stuck.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@StantheAmigaMan
Hi, I've no idea why my printer is labelled 8615, the software (webserver) and manual refer to it as 8610,
According to the user guide (page 182) they have a PCL3 GUI.

Network: Using this; http://os4depot.net/share/utility/print/lpr_dev.lha
place the device in SYS:Devs, you will also need a small config file in SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive.
Type into an editor, HOST "IPaddress your printer" RAW, this is mine, "HOST 192.168.0.4 RAW" and save it as "lpr.device".

In SYS:Devs/NSDPatch.cfg (scroll to the bottom) the last two lines are modified to this:

DEVICE parallel.device UNIT 0 MAPTODEVICE lpr.device MAPTOUNIT 0 MACHINE=AMIGAONE
DEVICE a1parallel.device UNIT 0 MAPTODEVICE lpr.device MAPTOUNIT 0 MACHINE=AMIGAONE

In SYS:Prefs/Printer, for Port device: I have lpr.device selected, as I'm using Turboprint I've left the printer driver as "Generic".

Oh, and if you want to connect to the printers Webserver via an amiga, Odyssey crashes the printer, Timberwolf does not.
Hope this helps, Draby

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I have a cheap Cloud ready printer, going to google print, I just added it & it just prints the selected file. No net driver needed, only thing I found is I need to select monocrome for text files, otherwise it tries to do a pdf print. Works on my x1k.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Draby

Thanks for the reply! I'll check this out with my X5000 when I get it :)

Edit: TIMBERWOLF?!? Where?!?!!? I've only ever been able to get the copy for download that is on the official website from 2012 or so, and it has never worked for me.

I'd love to get Firefox working!

Stan

Life without your Maserati is grounds for suicide
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@StantheAmigaMan

Quote:

Edit: TIMBERWOLF?!? Where?!?!!? I've only ever been able to get the copy for download that is on the official website from 2012 or so, and it has never worked for me.

Nor has it for most of us.

The 2012 version is the only one available, it's an unfinished mess with unoptimized parts that slow it down and debug stuff all over the place.

Some people claim to be working with it, i found that it just was too slow and too buggy to be of any use.

Since i have Odyssey configured to my liking, i never have to use this excuse for a broswer ever again again

P.S: I refrain from using Firefox on any of my machines...i use Opera on Win/Linux/Smartphone

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »