Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

help!!!!
My sam440 ep doesn't turn on!!!!!

Don't know if it's the power supply.

What if i try (if i find it) another bigger and more powerfull power supply.

I risk to utterly damage the sam?

Should the power supply be compliant with something?....

Please help

sigh

Retired
Go to top
Re: AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Have you changed something since it last worked?

Here's how you test if the ATX-power supply is working:
https://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/22

When that's confirmed, check if the power button connector is loose. You can also CAREFULLY short the two pins it's usually connected to manually, with a screwdriver or something similar, but be careful not to touch or short anything else.

Using a more powerful PSU (higher wattage) will not damage your computer. The PSU doesn't PUSH power into the computer, it simply have a larger capacity from which the computer can draw what it needs.

The voltages are the same.

edit: PSU info.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
No, changed nothing.

Turned off yesterday ok.
Tried to turn on two hours ago, nothing.
What if i try to attach to the sam the PC 600W PSU?

Retired
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@AmigaBlitter

She's back!

I followed the instructions you've suggested and noticed that the psu fan worked.
I reattached the PSU to the Amiga and now it's working again.

Thank you for the info.

I don't know what happened, btw.

Retired
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
You're very welcome.

Sometimes ATX PSU's need a total power down. Disconnecting the power cord, then press power on, will empty the residual power stored in the PSU's capacitors. (you may notice the power led lights up briefly (less than a second).

This can also help buggy or troublesome ATX PSU's.

Glad to be of help.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AmigaBlitter

Better PSU's have a power switch on the back to save pulling the cable out, If your's has just switch it off for 10 seconds.

Another trick is to use a device that powers down peripherals when you turn off the computer.

I have one designed for a TV. it has a remote IR semsor (with a manual button on it) that can be programmed to the TV's power signal, it turns the TV on and anything connected to it's autoswitch socket. I have the computer plugged in where the TV should go so I just press the manual switch then turn on the computer and the monitor, sounds system, laser printerm desk light etc. all get switched on autoimatically and off again about 15 seconds after I turn of the computer.

This ensures the PSU gets a total disconnect and saves having to keep the monitor, printer, speakers etc. in standby mode.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin

Thank you for the tips

Retired
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
OMG thought this was news about aaaaargggghhhh remastered

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Srtest

Retired
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmigaBlitter Quote:
What if i try (if i find it) another bigger and more powerfull power supply.

For future reference (and anyone else who may have the same problem) :

While higher-wattage PSUs will not harm your Sam440, they may fail to work, because the Sam440 draws so little power the PSU will think it is not connected to a working computer. Or so I have heard. So the lower the wattage of PSU you can find, the better.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Not entirely true. An electric short, is a digital thing. It's either a short, or not. So when pins 14-15 are shorted, they're shorted.

Also, the lowest wattage, might not make for a stable computer if you balance usage very close to it's capacity. But having a 1000W PSU on a 150W computer is shooting sparrows with a cannon.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

The bigger problem is the current smoothing, Higher wattage PSU's are designed to provide a stable even flow of power at specific levels, these levels are set for intel multicore etc., far higher power consumption systems than the Amiga.

I measured my X1000 ages ago with a R4850HD (with additional power connected), soundcard and iirc 5 older harddrives connected (3 sata, 2 ancient IDE) and the total power draw was 160w. unless you have a power hungry gfx card and do nothing other than play 3D games then a 240w to 300w PSU is fine if you can actually find anything that low anymore.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Shamron

Quote:

Not entirely true. An electric short, is a digital thing.

No it aint. Not remotely. Not unless you have a supercooled superconddcting connection.

Quote:

It's either a short, or not. So when pins 14-15 are shorted, they're shorted.

It's either open cicuit (very high resitance) ot closed with a hopefully low resitance, but dirt can make that low resutance higher than you expect.

Quote:

Also, the lowest wattage, might not make for a stable computer if you balance usage very close to it's capacity.

Lowest wattage maybe not, but you do need to put aload on the supply so you need a supply so you should use one of the right ball park rating.

Quote:

But having a 1000W PSU on a 150W computer is shooting sparrows with a cannon.

Try that, I'll thjik you'll find that a cannon is too slow to manouver and the sparrows too fast to aim at...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@Shamron

Quote:

Not entirely true. An electric short, is a digital thing.

No it aint. Not remotely. Not unless you have a supercooled superconddcting connection.

All imaginary scenarios aside, nuclear spiders interfering with the delicate copper connections, alien octopuses sucking the hasty electrons out of the cables, etc... An electric short is "digital" in the manner of it's either "1" or "0". Either you have a short, or you don't.
If you stick a straightened paper clip into the ATX-connector's pin 14 and 15, the result won't be stopped by a speck of dust or some corrotion, nor the slight oxydation on the surface of either the connector or the paperclip. It will give a short. Otherwise, you're better off fiddling with MacOS or Windows.

Quote:

It's either a short, or not. So when pins 14-15 are shorted, they're shorted.

It's either open cicuit (very high resitance) ot closed with a hopefully low resitance, but dirt can make that low resutance higher than you expect.

Again, see above. If you stick a paperclip into the connectors female socket 14 and 15, you WILL short the two pins. Unless you're a fairy without the ability to actually STICK it in there. You know when it's in there or not. It's not like wawing a daisy aound in a bucket... It's a paperclip, and you FIRMLY stick it in the female connectors. Any random dirt will be brutally forced away.
How dirty must a paperclip and a female connector be to not make contact when forced together?

Quote:

Also, the lowest wattage, might not make for a stable computer if you balance usage very close to it's capacity.

Lowest wattage maybe not, but you do need to put aload on the supply so you need a supply so you should use one of the right ball park rating.

Reading from both my Fluke 87V multimeter and my Variac, my X1000 draws about 180W. It runs comfortably from the 900W PSU. The PSU doesn't even run slightly warm, which means the capacitors inside it won't run the risk of drying out for many years. The more you oversize your supply side of your life, the longer stuff lasts due to less strain on the supply side.
In my 2x15W Linsley Hood Class A amplifier, i have a 600VA toroid transformer. It can comfortably deliver 16Amperes, but since the amplifier "only" draws 2,5Amperes per channel when idle, it means both the transformer and rectifiers run pretty "cold", and the ripple from the smoothing capacitors are also pretty low, since i've also over-sized those. (2x100.000uF)

Quote:

But having a 1000W PSU on a 150W computer is shooting sparrows with a cannon.

Try that, I'll thjik you'll find that a cannon is too slow to manouver and the sparrows too fast to aim at...

Sham.-

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Shamron

Quote:
@ChrisH

Not entirely true. An electric short, is a digital thing. It's either a short, or not. So when pins 14-15 are shorted, they're shorted.

Perhaps, but a power supply's protection circuitry can still shut down a power supply even if PS_ON# is pulled low (e.g., shorting pins 14-15). If the loads on the various outputs are imbalanced, or it can't keep the voltages within tolerances (e.g., because there isn't enough load), then a power supply's protection circuitry kicks in and shuts down the power supply. It usually remains shut down until it's reset by cycling the PS_ON# pin or removing the external power.

Case in point: I currently have an old 250W ATX power supply powering two sets of fans via thermal controllers. This is a temporary set up, because the power supply shuts down every time that the thermal controllers shut down the fans. The sudden loss of load on the 12V line triggers a shut down.

Admittedly, this is a rather extreme case. Nevertheless, it does demonstrate what can happen with a large power supply connected to a miniscule load (relatively speaking).

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Shamron

Quote:

my X1000 draws about 180W.

The machine in question is SAM which draws considerably less power than an x1k.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@broadblues

I'm also running an Atom board which draws around 150W from a 750W PSU.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Shamron

A SAM440ep draws between 10 and 25 watts.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Shamron

It's happened many times, since i opened this thread.

Every time i followed the instructions you reported in the link and everything went fine.

This time i cannot reset the PSU.

Retired
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

"But having a 1000W PSU on a 150W computer is shooting sparrows with a cannon. "

"Try that, I'll thjik you'll find that a cannon is too slow to manouver and the sparrows too fast to aim at..."

Hmm, seems you are correct.
Now can anyone recommend a good solicitor or should I start a new thread for that?

Cheers ;)

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »