Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

A1200 Upgrade - Power Consideration.

See User information
OK I recently bought a Blizzard 030 MK 4 from eBay (seller did not accept paypal so awaiting cheque to clear).

It was a good price, so I was going to take some better pics, do a nice listing and make 10-15 quid on it. However, I thought "maybe I can use this".

Right now I have an Escom A1200 with a Blizzard 1200/4 RAM card with FPU fitted, non-mechanical (flash) hard drive & 1 Commodore external floppy.

For a pic see here: http://amigans.net/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=89

To power this SILENT machine, I am using a 60w A500 PSU. I sold my Goliath as, like the old Hard Drive, I don't like the noise.

The question is, do you think, considering I am not using a 25w A1200 PSU and I have a flash HDD I would get away with using the Blizzard 030 board (with FPU fitted), powered by an A500 PSU?

Go to top
Re: A1200 Upgrade - Power Consideration.
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@A1200

Should work just fine. I had mine set up like that until the PSU died (old age, came with my A500 in 1988) and currently use a 95 watt AT PSU (ugly but small), until I get a replacement A500 PSU or find a way to customize this one. Too many cables, looks ugly etc. Mine, Blizzard with 50MHz CPU, no FPU yet, 64MB, 2.5 HDD & laptop CD. I am considering a silent flash drive for mine as well.

Silence is golden. I don't really hear the HD much, but when a CD is in the drive, well, the silence is gone.

Go to top

See User information
@wolfe

That's what I was thinking. I remember running an 030 on a standard A1200 PSU years ago and I think it did something not too good to the A1200, but it did run to begin with.

With 2-3 times the power I think it should be ok, and those flash drives must be half the power of a mechanical one.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Ooops. managed to produce double post... Deleted

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@A1200

60W should be enough. From my experience, the original brick of the a1200 was almost enough for Blizzard1260+16MB ram + 2.5' HD.
Subtract the HD and even if the 030 is more hungry than 060, it won't take 35W...

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top

See User information
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will give it a go and let you know!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@A1200

Yes.

Da Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top

See User information
@Rudei

Works fine.....

http://www.amiga600.net/temp/a1200_blizzard030.jpg

Thanks guys.....

Go to top

See User information
Might have spoken a bit soon..... well it runs ok but there are sporadic crashes. I have tried with the trapdoor cover off in case it was heat but no joy.

I am thinking of selling it on to someone who can make better use of it. Unless someone can think of something simple I could try.

I don't want to buy a PSU with a noisy fan and don't really have the motivation to modify a silent PC power supply. I wish someone like Individual Computers would make a beefy silent PSU for the classic desktop (and even big box) Amigas.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@A1200

Quote:

A1200 wrote:
Might have spoken a bit soon..... well it runs ok but there are sporadic crashes. I have tried with the trapdoor cover off in case it was heat but no joy.

I am thinking of selling it on to someone who can make better use of it. Unless someone can think of something simple I could try.

I don't want to buy a PSU with a noisy fan and don't really have the motivation to modify a silent PC power supply. I wish someone like Individual Computers would make a beefy silent PSU for the classic desktop (and even big box) Amigas.

How frequent are the crashes ?(measuring from reboot)

1. try to lift the a1200 case a bit (couple of books) and make sure there's some ventilation around. Maybe a fan. (if this helps then it was an overheating)

2. Try to disable all wbstartup stuff and if there're no craches --- bring'm back one by one.

3. The following might rule out the lack of power:
leave the mobo+blizzard combination only, no extra ram, no hd. Boot from floppy into wb.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top

See User information
@Jack

Yeah needs more testing before I give up and stick with my RAM board. I am going to order a heavy duty 145W Amiga PSU from AmigaKit anyway just to take some pressure of the A500 PSU and work from there.

Go to top

See User information
I should have realised all was not well when I ran sysinfo and got completely different results each time.

On my Blizzard RAM board, it is a consistant 2821 dhrystones. The 030 was anywhere betwen 8500 and 9500!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@A1200

Quote:
On my Blizzard RAM board, it is a consistent 2821 dhrystones. The 030 was anywhere betwen 8500 and 9500!

It depends on how the caches are filled (afaik), usually the speed test is better when performed immediately after the previous test.
After all it does some repeated actions and instruction cache should have significant influence on this.
What puzzled me in your sysinfo screenshot is that reported speed is 51.8 MHz. Dunno if it is normal. Others should confirm the issue (I have 060)

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top

See User information
@Jack

My A1200 reports as being 15.20MHz with just a basic RAM card inseted. I think it is something to do with PAL vs. NTSC timing being slightly different, if I recall correctly.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@A1200

Quote:

A1200 wrote:
@Jack

My A1200 reports as being 15.20MHz with just a basic RAM card inseted. I think it is something to do with PAL vs. NTSC timing being slightly different, if I recall correctly.

Silly me, of course ntsc have more megahurts

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@A1200

I had to go down the larger Power supply Route for my CD32.

However, I was a bit creative and added a pot inside on the fan. Its not silent, but is quieter than the fan in my XE.

http://amigans.net/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=102

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top

See User information
@Jurassicc

Yeah well I will buy a heavy duty PSU from AmigaKit and see how things go. Not sure if they have a fan in or not, but when it arrives I will asses the next step. Plan is to take the A1200 to a 3Cag meeting soon (maybe April, if not May), those guys are in serious need of some classic Amiga injection!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@A1200

Any news Mike?

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top

Register To Post