Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 146

beworld, utri007, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Learning to love Workbench 1.3
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@All
His is a bit OT, but has some truth inside (although the wrong bit on cronologocal place of an Amiga):
something on OSes

Enjoy.
Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Mitch wrote:
Is anyone running stock ( no patches or gizmos ) levels of Workbench?

I tried recently, here is what I found:

Workbench 1.3

ARRRRGGGHHH!!! God this is AWFUL. Like the busy pointer though.

Workbench 2.04

Ugly, more pro looking but really ugly and doesn't do much. No backdrop picture!

Workbench 3.0

Disgusting. How was I ever persauded to use one of these?

Workbench 3.5

Hmm, almost like a real OS ;)

Workbench 3.9

Getting better, works pretty well off the CD.

Workbench 4.0 ( AmigaOS 4.0 )

Now that is what I call a decent out of the box experience.

I don't entirely agree.
Appearance is a personal taste (I mean appearance besides the imposed standards/expectation of the specific time). Besides that every single AOS release brought in it's innovations (all of them except 3.5/3.9) or facelifts (3.5/3.9) that were a must when I look backward. Every single of them. And without any bloat. And that should be appreciated nowadays. And it was very Unix-ish OS when you take the multi-userness out, ant that's good imho.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all
at the moment both my amigas's , a a3k and a a500/gvp 030 have un patched/modified wb 3.1 on em..
granted its not by choice but hell its reminded me of why i loved the AMIGA BRAND in the 1st place..

3.9 here i come..

ZanT

lu lu lu got some apples

best episodes Southpark season 11: Night of the living homeless, More c rap and Le petiet tourettes!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

Thanks for that video, it was great.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Dirk-B
Quote:
Thanks for that video, it was great.

Yup
At least Amiga wasn't mentioned as a part of the leitmotif.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

zant wrote:
@all
at the moment both my amigas's , a a3k and a a500/gvp 030 have un patched/modified wb 3.1 on em..

Great! Is that a GVP A530 expansion? I am using one of those too! With which processor speed is your expansion equipped? Mine has a 68030 processor running at 40MHZ.
In my opinion, this is one of the best hardware devices ever made for the old Amiga. Great Valley Products was one of the most respected Amiga companies.
Did you know that these expansions have become extremely rare nowadays? They are very expensive when you buy them second hand. You better keep the Amiga in a safe place.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Sister_Rita wrote:
Quote:

zant wrote:
@all

Great! Is that a GVP A530 expansion? I am using one of those too! With which processor speed is your expansion equipped? Mine has a 68030 processor running at 40MHZ.
In my opinion, this is one of the best hardware devices ever made for the old Amiga. Great Valley Products was one of the most respected Amiga companies.
Did you know that these expansions have become extremely rare nowadays? They are very expensive when you buy them second hand. You better keep the Amiga in a safe place.

Reminds me the old days when I had an a500+a590 (afair) with 2MB of ram and extra 0.5 onboard modded to be swtchable to act as chip of fast ram. 3MB in total. It First I had an XT 20MB HD, then dumped it for 40MB scsi one and felt like riding a race car. On the pain 68000. When compared to it, 386 with windblows 3.1 felt like pulling a cart with stones in it.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Sister rita
i have 2 with true 030's not the EC (with no built in MMU) both with 8mb ram and FPU's .. on top of that i have a GVP HD+8 with 8mb ram (and the XT card).. and 2 T-Rex II a4k/3k accelerators.. im in love with GVP :D

lu lu lu got some apples

best episodes Southpark season 11: Night of the living homeless, More c rap and Le petiet tourettes!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

zant wrote:
@all

Did GVP ever make an IDE expansion for the A500?

I am desperate to find one. I don't want scsi.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@romanceclip
not that im aware of, although someone has mentioned a scsi<->ide adapter on IRC, personally i think amiga and scsi goes togeather like pea's n carrots

ZanT

lu lu lu got some apples

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@RomanceClip

According to Amiga hardware book, no (afaik). However there should be some non-GVP.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
i have tried one non gvp IDE product with my a500 and it was called AD-IDE the same company did an 010 (ad-speed) and a AD-RAM expansion that took your amiga up to 2mb chip and 4 fast through the trapdoor.. ahh the good ole days.. (for the life of me cant remember the companies name) if i remember rightly it was an aussie company... :-/

ZanT

(i still have my AD-RAM LOL)

lu lu lu got some apples

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

zant wrote:
i have tried one non gvp IDE product with my a500 and it was called AD-IDE the same company did an 010 (ad-speed) and a AD-RAM expansion that took your amiga up to 2mb chip and 4 fast through the trapdoor.. ahh the good ole days.. (for the life of me cant remember the companies name) if i remember rightly it was an aussie company... :-/

ZanT

(i still have my AD-RAM LOL)

That is interesting - the only one I have seen is on Australian Ebay! Trouble was I forgot to add it to my watch list and I couldn't find it again.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

RomanceClip wrote:

That is interesting - the only one I have seen is on Australian Ebay! Trouble was I forgot to add it to my watch list and I couldn't find it again.

if your after an AD-RAM i'll part with mine for a reasonable price.. also have an unused a590

ZanT

lu lu lu got some apples

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

zant wrote:

if your after an AD-RAM i'll part with mine for a reasonable price.. also have an unused a590

ZanT

Wow! Let me know how much you want! Is it an AdIDE2?

I'm not sure about the A590 - I think this wasn't IDE as such but Mitsumi and the like. It would be very hard to find a CDROM with these interfaces nowadays!

The AdIDE on Ebay went for $62.50
but it had a problem with the 68k male connector.

Were these things autoboot?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

I'm not sure about the A590 - I think this wasn't IDE as such but Mitsumi and the like. It would be very hard to find a CDROM with these interfaces nowadays!

A590 is XT-scsi combo + ram. As afar as I knew about it when I had one.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I sometimes run just Workbench 1.3, but I really only do it to play with the SAY program.

I think the 1.3 Speech sounds a little different then the last version on 2.04 Workbench. 2.04 is better quality I think, but the one on 1.3 is the one I remeber playing with when I was younger.

Making it say bad words is sooo much fun

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)