Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Crash with red screen problem..
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello all. I have (yet another) prob. on the miggy, I'm using a blizzard 1260 w/ blizkick to get the 3.9 rom in place, which works well, however the machine locks up once in awhile, a warm reset results in a red screen followed by another reset. (Endless loop) After turning the power off and on, it works fine again. I'm thinking after blizkick copies the ROM image to fastram, something is writing over it. Is there any way I could track down the memory range Blizkick uses, and use some kind of MMU-base memory block on it? This is the startup-sequence up to setpatch:

c:date >logs/boottime.log
if exists sys:logs/OS3.1boot.log
c:echo "Amiga OS 3.1 boot second attempt @ " noline >>sys:logs/OS3.1boot.log
c:date >>sys:logs/OS3.1boot.log
else
c:echo "Amiga OS 3.1 boot first attempt @ " noline >sys:logs/OS3.1boot.log
c:date >>sys:logs/OS3.1boot.log
endif
If Exists C:IDEFix
C:IDEFix
EndIf
C:BLIZKICK devs:rom_v45.57 EXTRESBUF=130000 MODULE fastfilesystem filesystem.resource romupdate.idtag ram-handler console.device exec.library shell bootmenu fixgetmsg BBlank prepareemul newalert romfixes speedychip a1000jingle waitide >sys:logs/blizkick.log
C:SetPatch NOROMUPDATE >sys:logs/setpatch.log

Resized Image
Go to top
Re: Crash with red screen problem..
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kvasir

A red screen indicates a bad rom (see here).

As it is booting for you and only come up when restarting after a crash ("once in a while") would make me point my finger on either a not perfectly fitting rom or a heat problem which makes the roms flaky in it's seats after some time because of the warmth in the case not being shoved out properly

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

Yeah, I'll have to pop her open and push on the roms. Been thinking of throwing a tower fan in there, too. I wouldn't be surprised if she's overheating a bit, with all the stuff I have in there. Anyway, I was thinking blizkick was the culprit because it seems to happen when I use SDL apps alot, as well as excessive CPU use. Virge screenmodes can cause it, as well as GFX processing stuff, heavy web-browsing. Come to think of it, anything that spikes the CPU did it, and usually after the system has been on for some time. Also, the mouse batteries dying can accelerate this, which would make sense if the reciever has to draw more current off the mobo. It has a AC/DC jack, but I'm unsure as to its rating... tried googling it, unfortunately the mouse is one Fellowes apparently wanted to forget ever existed. (Fellowes 98910 5-button wireless USB attached via mr. mysza mouse adapter+ps/2 to usb adapter)

Resized Image
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kvasir

Might be problems with your accelerator card not being firmly placed. Had lot of yellow and red screens on my a4k. Try picking everything apart,clean all. That includes ram,every card etc. And place them firmly back in place. And start with only the vital parts to get the system started. If that works ok,you can put all back in.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

That wouldn't surprise me either. Had to break the thing apart to strip the RF shielding off for the tower upgrade, something to do this weekend. Perhaps next weekend, being payday, and I've talked my wife into getting a nice 5 1/4" LCD panel for the last CD-ROM bay thats begging for a geek toy. Would be a good excuse to open her up again!

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kvasir

I had a similar problem with my Amiga 4000 several years ago. It turned out to be a wrong jumper setting on my SCSI card.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Caveman

Hmm... I also have a 1232scsi daughter card, might be something there, too. I'll have to check..

@all
As always, quite the helpful bunch, thanks for the advice!

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kvasir
First try just "BlizKick *" and then with a ROM-image file in DEVS:Kickstarts. See if the red screen problem persists.

Amiga - still alive & kickin'!
Go to top

Register To Post