Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

USB under OS4 classic
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Resized Image

This is the new baby on the family. An Amiga 4000PPC with CyberStorm PPC, Picasso IV, Paloma TV Card, DVD RW, Deneb USB Card and a USB 2 Ethernet adapter to access the Internet.

Deneb and USB 2 Eth adapter work fine on 3.9 and MorphOS. What about OS4 classic? How do I make it work with the Deneb card?

And what about the USB 2 EtherNet adapter? It needs the usbasixeth.device to work under 3.9 and MorphOS. Will this work under OS4? I am trying to get access to the file to test it with the OS4 Internet wizard but (yes ok it sound silly) I simply can not find. It is not stored in any devs folder even not on the Denneb FlashROM -using Luciferin to access it-. Any idea from where the hell I can copy this file?

Any general instructions of to use Deneb under OS4?

Anyone who has made a USB 2 Eth adapter work?

Sorry for the big post.

Edited by CountRaven on 2009/8/5 11:50:05
A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Re: USB under OS4 classic
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
EDIT: The Deneb works with the USB stack of OS4, as I tested some USB devices. At first I thought I got to install Poseidon or something. So the point is how to make the Amiga go online via the USB 2 Eth adapter. I got to find the usbasixeth.device file and make the wizard co operate with it.

A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@CountRaven

Sorry I don't think there is any Ethernet protocol for USB yet, you most use a PCMCIA card I think.

for more info on way some usb devices don't work look at the t:usb.log
file.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
USB2eth-Adaptors do work fine with Poseidon under OS4 Classic. That's the good news. The usbasixeth.device will appear automatically (it is generated in RAM) when Poseidon is runnung and a USB2Eth-Adaptor is being plugged in.

The bad news is that Poseidon is 68k only and that just using a USB2eth-Adaptor for going online (no other changes) will slow down your system by about 20%, maybe even more, compared to using the ZorroII X-Surf ethernet card. This is my own experience with the usage of a dlink USB to Ethernet-Adaptor on an Amiga 4000 equipped with Amiga OS4.0 Classic.

Don't forget to deactiviate OS4's own USB before activating Poseidon, i.e. editing kickstart-layout and the startup-sequence.

Regards
Ruediger

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@CountRaven
If you're interested, check out the
OS 4.0 A1200 USB thread .

Amiga - still alive & kickin'!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Yes I have already found that usbasixeth.device is generated in memory. Will try to run Poseidon under OS4 and check out the similar thread you have suggested and see if I can have any success.

A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have installed Poseidon, REMed all USB stuff on kickstart-layout and startup-sequence, USB stuff still works but how the hell I am going to tell the TCP/IP stack of OS4 to use that usbasixeth.device? It is not located in the driver list not even in any folder. I know it is generated somewhere in RAM and I can see it on Trident, but how I am going to make OS4 recognizes it? Should I use an 68k TCP/IP stack instead?
Will Genesis do the trick?

A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@CountRaven

Just enter it's name, i.e. "usbasixeth.device" manually in the device string gadget of the manual configuration in Internetwizard or if you configured already with another device in prefs/Internet (interfaces tab -> highlight the entry and press 'Modify').

Note: Do not enter any path for it.. just it's name. AmigaOS first searches in RAM if the needed device is already loaded (which it is with Poseidon) and only if it can't find anything there, it tries to load it from disc.

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks

It works this way and I am online :)

But on the next reboot the system tries to recognize the usbasixeth.device with no success so I take a NetWork Log Error message that the device can not be found. The most common case is that the system searches for the file on the /Devs/Networks Folder.

On the prefs/internet setting utility the path is matched as Devs/NetWorks/usbasixeth.device and if I try to leave the filename alone without the path the application would not let me to continue.

I tried to open the related configure files manually and edit the setting (for example the file on NetInterfaces folder) but everywhere the usbasixeth.device would be mentioned without a path.

Poseidon is started in the first line of Startup Sequence and all the USB stuff still works fine. Trident notices the usbasixeth.device as active and running.

For now every time I want to be online under OS4 I have to set up a new Internet connection. Only this way the usbasixeth.device is recognized.

Any help?

Even an alternative TCIP/IP stack software would do the trick for me, -leaving behind the native OS4 TCP/IP stack-. But I can not find anyone. Genesis came pre installed in my 3.9 setup and I need the install files to re setup it on OS4. Can anyone helps with this? OR probably a verison of Maiami with those keyfiles?

Thanks for all the support.

A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I will also send an email to the creator of Deneb and Poseidon maybe I can find some help!

A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Fixed.

A commands order re arrangement on the startup sequence did the trick. The Net interface was loaded before the USB stack and that was the problem.

Chris Hodges replied to my email in MINUTES, giving some extra advice and suggesting me to check the right command and command order in the startup sequence. Well this is real hardware support a big thanks to him (Deneb rules!!!!)

A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have the same problem
I writte usbasixeth.device in the config but all the time says "Choose a Hardware controller" and I can't connect to internet.
I've tryed with or without path, etc.
The usb pens works nice in poseidon.
Can you Post your startup-sequence?
Mine its a fresh install

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

CountRaven wrote:
EDIT: The Deneb works with the USB stack of OS4

No it doesn't.
What you have is poseidon running from the flash on the Deneb.

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Under OS4.1

remove the line usbctrl start from your startup-sequence
Install poseidon 4.4 it will override what ever is in the flash of your DENEB.

DONT install Poseidon's input.device patch!!!

Then simply plug in your USB to Ethernet Adapter
Then in DEVS:Netinterfaces create a text file called USBASIXETH

with the contents
--8<--
device=usbasixeth.device
unit=0
configure=dhcp
--8<--
Make sure the Adapter is plugged into the DENEB directly not via a hub first.

Move Addnetinterface line from the startup-sequence to after the psdstackloader in the user-startup

Tested with a D-Link DUB E-100

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Awesom Jurasicc, now its working.
A lot of thanks!

Go to top

Register To Post