Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
70 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 68

TheMagicSN, smf, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Booting off two Internal HDDs in X5K
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Having issues getting uBoot selector at boot time to boot to each OS on two different drives.

Have owned my X5K for 2 years. Have a nice running Amiga OS 4.1 FE (Pre) for X5000 as shipped with my X5K from Amiga On The Lake.

Installed a 2nd drive, a 120GB SSD, so I can install a separate bootable Amiga OS 4.1FE that I can tinker on.

Want to use uBoot selector at boot to select 1 or 2 on keyboard so I can boot to each OS as I please. It is not working right for me.

I have no internal CD/DVD so each drive connects direct to SATA connections on motherboard. Therefore only 2 SATA devices are connected.

I booted from a USB Stick Amiga OS installer I had made and installed the OS on the new SSD.

My original HDD is set at boot priority 0. I set the new SSD to boot priority 3.

Install of the OS goes fine and it boots great from the new SSD OS fine. But no matter what I select at boot time, the X5K will only boot the new OS off the SSD. I select the 1 but it seems to still boot from SSD. Makes no sense.

My uBoot is the same that came installed 2 years ago other than the few lines added to get boot working for mass media (USB) devices. The rest is as it came in 2016 or whatever.

Any reason I should not be able to boot from new or old HDD selecting 1 or 2 at the uBoot selection time?

TJ

Go to top
Re: Booting off two Internal HDDs in X5K
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Some update....

I can see for 2 years now I had no SATA cable connected to SATA0. My main HDD has been on SATA 1 port. Not sure if that makes a difference.

So the SSD was connected to SATA0 when I installed the new OS.

I did just switch and made the 2 year old HDD drive connected to SATA0 port and the new SSD SATA1 but same thing... uBoot selector only boots to new SSD if both drives connected even when I select the old one in uBoot selector screen.

I may try to install the new OS again on the SSD while it is connected to SATA1 but before I waste time and spin my wheels... maybe someone knows why this may not be working for me.

Thanks

TJ

AmigaOne Tabor
AmigaOne X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I will add one more little tidbit in hopes someone here knows a better way...

But with the help of my buddy Sundown reminding me how to get into Early Boot screen where we have HDD options to tinker with (mouse buttons held down at the OS 4.1 splash screen), I was able to finally select the OS from my older HDD and it did boot to it... although 1st attempt all was 640x480 or something.

So I did a 2nd time and this time during boot at uBoot Selector I did select the older OS from the HDD and once that booted up and at the OS 4.1 screen I got into early boot window and selected the older drive to boot from.... the res was right but my docks were all over the place. LOL.

So I was able to get booted to my old OS on the older drive but sloppily.

There must be a better way.

Maybe newer uBoot Selector that when I click 1 or 2 it actually boots from said drive. :D

TJ

AmigaOne Tabor
AmigaOne X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Tony W on Hyperion Forums answered my question.

setenv os4_bootdevice auto
saveenv

Did the trick.

Now the 1 and 2 work and I can boot from either of my drives.

TJ

AmigaOne Tabor
AmigaOne X5000
Go to top

Register To Post