Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
53 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 51

flash, eastone, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

RadeonHD driver + RadeonHD 5450 => Not much is working
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello everyone.

I recently got an AmigaOne XE G4 motherboard "cheap" from a friend and bought a RadeonHD 5450 PCI card and the RadeonHD driver (version 2.18).

So now all is finally working* BUT when I tried to play around with the 3D features of the Radeon HD nothing seems to work. MiniGL/Warp3D doesn't work and even Picasso 96 PIP doesn't work.

I was aware from my research that the new Warp 3D Nova/Open GL ES doesn't work with this older card (which is fair enough), but I hadn't realised from my research that the "old" MiniGL/Warp3D doesn't work. And certainly I was expecting at least Picasso 96 PIP to work! The whole thing is actually a huge step backwards from my old Micro A1 with its ancient Radeon 7000/RV100 chipset.

Have I completely misunderstood something here or have I built a useless and very expensive system?

* As for "working" as mentioned above, it works, but crashes with my powered USB hub and the onboard sound doesn't work, and the total cost of "cheap" motherboard + upgrades to make the system modern is about the same as for a new Sam or A1222! So a word of warning: Don't try to "mordernise" an old AmigaOne XE G4 - throw it in the rubbish and just buy a new system!!! What a waste of time and effort and money this misadventure has been...

Go to top
Re: RadeonHD driver + RadeonHD 5450 => Not much is working
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hitman

Warp3D does not work with 5450s as there is no driver for the chip set on it. The old pip (overlay) is not supported by the card. For video playback you want liveforit's mplayer from os4depot and use -vo comp_yuv2 or try the rmotion alpha version

If you want 3D/overlay support you would be better with an 128but R9250.

The main advantage with the 5450 is faster 2D and more memory so you can use 1920x1080x32 whereas with a 9250 you're better of sticking to 16 bit screens for speed.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Severin

Hello mate.

Since the weekend I have done an awful lot of reading regarding Warp3D and Warp3D Nova and the RadeonHD drivers and I realise now that I have indeed misunderstood. I have bought a card that is too new for Warp3D and too old for Warp3D Nova! And I do remember hearing a long time ago that Warp3D is not supported by RadeonHD. But I forgot. :-/

Oh well, it is still a big step up from my old 1024*768 workbench on my old AmigaOne Micro and I can also buy a Radeon 9250 as you say, to have 3D on that. Is cheap enough so that will get me through for a year and then the A1222 will be out so I can do a proper upgrade then.

Thanks for the info!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hitman

Where have you been, welcome back

"Picasso 96 PIP doesn't work."

RadeonHD does not have PIP, it has composition.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hitman

Warp3D works with the same cards as WarpNOVA but you have to buy the drivers from AmiStore

Supported cards are:

- Radeon HD 7750-7970 series graphics card (excluding the Radeon HD 7790)
- Radeon R7 250X/265
- Radeon R9 270/270X/280/280X
- IMPORTANT: Please use a graphics card with GDDR RAM; cards with DDR3 RAM
have been reported as not working on AmigaOS

But finding a PCI one will be nearly impossible, a pcie to pci adaptor will cost as much as the gfx card :(

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hey Colin,

Welcome back. What are you doing in Germany?

cheers
tony
Go to top

Register To Post