Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Level up to SAM 460 EX
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thinking of leveling up to a SAM 460 EX. How is the general performance compared to a SAM FLEX 733? Will I notice many improvements in speed with a good gfx card? Thanks!

This is the board I have in mind:

https://acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro. ... erboards/96-sam460ex.html

Go to top
Re: Level up to SAM 460 EX
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BobSacamano

Well the CPU is faster; you get to use modern graphic cards that are faster, you will notice the difference.

you will NOT be able to play movies in 720p!!!!

Could a Sam460 play 720p videos in the future, well anything is possible, what is missing on AmigaOS is hardware aided video decoding, VA-API or UVD / VDPAU.

With VA-API there is drivers for Linux for hardware decoding chips, on PCIe cards. With UVD / VDPAU you can get aid from graphic card to decode videos.

The issue with VA-API, is that there is not lot expansion slots on Sam460, and you need one for video decoding chip.

You should not buy Sam460 expecting hardware aided video decoding tomorrow, currently there is no funding for development, to support anything like that on AmigaOS4, and even with funding its going to take at least one year or more to develop the needed drivers. (Again it will depend on funding.)

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/instal ... with-va-api-hardware.html

If you want to play, video you should buy a AmigaONE-X1000 or X5000.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/3/15 21:09:08
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/3/15 22:59:50
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

Since he has a flex i think one can say that the 460 is an improvement. It has faster cpu, pci-e slot for the gfx card. Pci-e x1 slot. And can have 2gb ram istead of 1gb on the flex. And it has ddr2 ram, flex has ddr ram. 460 has 6 usb ports, flex has 4. 1 Gbit ethernet on the 460, 100mbit on the flex... Think that should cover the differences. The boards are the same physical size.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Current Sam460ex playback fullscreen under AmigaOS 4.1,RadeonHD 2.4 driver and LiveforitMplayer :
360p mp4 h.24
480p xvid avi
720p mjpeg avi
Can't play back 480p mp4 h.24 in synch even in windowed mode even with frameskip.

Mplayer2 under Debian Jessie can play back a 480p mp4 h.24 in windowed mode in sync with frame skip.No gpu acceleration under linux so it would seem that mplayer2 does the decodeding of h.24 better .

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Spectre660

I have not tried it myself, under Linux, but I think you might need to do some stuff to get that to work.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2181424

look for vdpau-va-driver package.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/3/16 2:14:58
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I passed from the 440-667 to the 460-1100 and I can say that, for the daily use, the difference there is but it is not so huge

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thank you all for the help concerning the SAM 460. :) I will give it some thought.

Go to top

Register To Post