Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: AmigaOne 500 audio is slow
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Everyone,

Graffias, I just sent you an email about this, but everyone else, I took out the sam 460ex_setup (hack) out of my wbstartup and cold reboot. Now, the static is gone from my delitracker when I play mods. The audio still sounds like it has no filters on it and a bit crunchy but this got rid of the static for me.

Yogi

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Vox,

I believe the machine can see the sound card when it is inserted in the PCI-E slot.

Here is a screen shot from Ranger showing the entry that appears when the card is inserted.

Resized Image

Go to top
Anonymous
Hmm ... so ranger and UBoot do see it, but driver doesn`t? (there is also other older AHI driver, try it)
http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?fun ... iver/audio/envy24_ahi.lha

Usually, newer should be better, but now ...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
What about htis card shouldnt this one work?

the esi@juli XTe
http://www.esi-audio.com/products/juliaxte/

looks like its the same as the pci version .

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I've contacted ESI about this card without success.

Do you know where to buy it?

A1200PPC/Sam440ep/Sam460ex/X1000/X5020 OS4.1
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

davebraco wrote:
I've contacted ESI about this card without success.

Do you know where to buy it?

here is the maya44 xte

http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/ ... _XTe/900454/?tk=7&lk=4242

its a dutch site maybe that can deliver the other esi@juli too

or is the maya 44 also supported??

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hmmmm... maybe, I don't know... is this the same chip as the julia PCI?

A1200PPC/Sam440ep/Sam460ex/X1000/X5020 OS4.1
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Juliet and Maya both uses the same Envy24HT-S chip but other chips are different so don't know if our Envy24HT driver works with Maya or not. It looks like Juliet XTe (PCIe) model is not easy to find. Besides the Dutch site you can try www.thomann.de also. Google is your friend too.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The PCI-E to PCI bridge on this Envy24DT sound card is the AsMedia ASM1083. Doing a google search turns up instances of people complaining of stuck interrupts with this chip. This makes sense as it looks like workbench is stuck waiting for something when it loads. I wonder if this is something that can be adjusted or compensated for. Apparently this ASM1083 chip is pretty common among PCI-E to PCI bridge chips.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
well a while ago i ask a-cube about this. they say it had to be something with the amigaos 4 kernel and should be fixed in update 5.

so you can try it again now update 5 is released

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

As an update, I tried again with the Envy24HT PCI-E Card and also a low profile CMI8738 card on a PCI-E to PCI adapter. This adapter happens to have a different PCI-E to PCI bridge chip. This eliminates the possibility that it is just an incompatibility with just one brand of chip. Regardless, it seems to be the same problem, but I think I have a better understanding of it now;

I know that AHI sees the sound chips through the PCI-E to PCI bridge chip because they appear in AHI's list of devices installed. When selected, AHI expects the chips to work like they are connected to a PCI bus. I have noticed that when the chip (for instance, the CMI8738, which we know to be a well supported sound chip) is selected, it behaves like normal, except when you go to play a sound. The card does not play the sound and the program that sent the command to play the sound becomes hung up as if it were waiting for something to finish or return.

As an example: I would select the sound card in AHI and the Mixer, and then open TuneNet. When I press play, nothing happens. The program does not go through the motions of playing, it just hangs there. I cannot close the program. What is it waiting for? Why can't the signal reach the program from the sound card? The driver can see the chip and Ranger can see the vendor ID and address, etc.

I just had a thought: My earlier problem of the Envy24 sound card keeping Workbench from loading is probably due to the startup sound. I should try to disable the startup sound while the card is in there so I can at least look at the list in AHI showing the Envy driver info.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
does anyone has the opportunity to try this dound card in a sam460ex?

http://www.thomann.de/nl/esi_juli_xte.htm

its the @juli board only pci-e interface

follow the info its all the same with functions
etc.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I don't think that PCI-E to PCI bridges of any kind are supported. At least that's the evidence that I've gathered. I can get the AOne/500 to "see" the devices but not use them.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
as far i know this should be fixed in update 5 , thats what a-cube told me for pci-e support in Aos 4.1 kernel.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I posted this on Hyperion Forum:

Currently the AmigaOS4,1 kernel for Sam460ex boards doesn't support I/O over PCI Express, it support only Memory Mapped access.
That's the reason why gfx cards like the Radeon HD works, and sata/audio controller don't, since the laters require I/O accesses.
Using a PCI-PCI-E bridge doesn't solve the problem, if the PCI card requires I/O accesses to work too.

Using Ranger it's possible to check if the PCI-E (or PCI) board requires I/O accesses, just select the PCI Bus tab, choose a board from the list on the left, and in the Resource Ranges check for the Flags files, if it reports only IO, than the board won't work with the current AmigaOS4.1 kernel.

In the Ranger screnshoot above, that audio board use only I/O, therefore it won't work atm.

Max Tretene, ACube Systems Srl, Soft3
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Oke is this ever gonna be fixed so that all amigaos users that have pci-e ports can happily buy pci-e soundcards?

i hope its in a next release then of the Os4.2.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have the slow audio problem on my SAM460 (amongst other issues).

PCI info shows up as "Unidentifyied Multimedia Device" Vendor code 0x1002 product code 0xaa90. Don't know if this is some new device Acube is now using as apparently sounds works for other people.

Older driver: Sound is ok except for playback occuring at about 95% speed.
Current driver: Sound plays at the right speed but there are crackles and pops

Perhaps I should have got a SAM440 afterall.

Lawrence

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Aslak3 wrote:

PCI info shows up as "Unidentifyied Multimedia Device" Vendor code 0x1002 product code 0xaa90. Don't know if this is some new device Acube is now using as apparently sounds works for other people.

That device is:
Turks/Whistler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6000 Series]

It's the HDMI audio device on your Radeon HD 6xx0 graphics card. There is currently no driver support for this device.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I should have looked that up.

t's the onboard sound which I have my speakers plugged into. That must mean it doesn't show up as a PCI device at all then? All other devices I in Ranger I account for.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear how many SAM460 people have problems with sound.

Lawrence

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Aslak3 wrote:
I should have looked that up.

t's the onboard sound which I have my speakers plugged into. That must mean it doesn't show up as a PCI device at all then? All other devices I in Ranger I account for.

IIRC, the audio is done by the SM502, which also happens to be the on-board graphics card (best described as a "multimedia chip"). Depending on how intertwined the graphics and audio functionality of the SM502 is, this could explain why it's taking longer than usual to get the audio working 100% correctly. That would mean sharing interrupts and possibly even clock sources with the graphics driver. An audio chip that appears as a separate PCI device is probably easier to program than one that is integrated into something else.

Quote:
Anyway, I'd be interested to hear how many SAM460 people have problems with sound.

I have audio issues with my Sam460ex too. I haven't tested it extensively, but I get audio gaps when trying to listen to CD audio (via AHI, as my DVD drive is one of the newer ones that don't have an audio out).

EDIT: The slight audio gaps occur only with PlayCD. Playing the CD via Tunenet works fine. The gaps still shouldn't happen, though. Also, I am using a beta version of AmigaOS, so you're better off getting feedback from others.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »