Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Amiga netbook?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@samo79

Quote:
... netbook will be sold, just for mostly coders, who want to do their work while they not at home.

I use a Windows laptop for that--specifically, a MacBook Pro running Windows 7. Why wait for a portable platform that went out of style three Christmases ago when any old laptop will do?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Trev

Cos i've allready got enough windows machines.

I hope it comes out before i have my vacation.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
For performance estimations, MOS running on Efika should be pretty 1:1 indication of (possibly 400Mhz) netbook performance.
MOS+Efika at youtube.
OWB on Efika.

Edited by KimmoK on 2012/4/30 7:20:03
- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Trev
Quote:

I use a Windows laptop for that--specifically, a MacBook Pro running Windows 7. Why wait for a portable platform that went out of style three Christmases ago when any old laptop will do?

As for me, the only one and real reasson of such notebook, is not to be notebook like for internet/office/etc, but while be a slow, still be a cheap aos4 hw, which you can easy use when you not at home. That helpfull for os4 coders who just want to test their code when they not at home and in general i see it as only one (and enough) reasson to buy.

Edited by kas1e on 2012/4/30 10:30:07
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

kas1e wrote:
@Trev
Quote:

As for me, the only one and real reasson of such notebook, is not to be notebook like for internet/office/etc, but while be a slow, still be a cheap aos4 hw, which you can easy use when you not at home. That helpfull for os4 coders who just want to test their code when they not at home and in general i see it as only one (and enough) reasson to buy.

For me it will be that as well as the ability to use AmigaOS even at home again. I'm not sure when I'll ever be able to set up a desktop at home, or when I'll ever have time again to spend tethered in the computer cave room. A netbook lets me use it where I'm able to be, even when at home, which is still probably where I'll use it most.

I had a PC laptop I was preparing for cross-compiling. It died back in November. The temp replacement I have is not capable of running what I'd got together. And I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge for a good replacement, and I'm rather picky so I always find it hard to buy a laptop anyway.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I'll use my AOS4 netbook when it's out for all kinds of stuff in all kinds of places. From WookieChat to TVPaint, I bet it'll do well with lots of stuff. And the all kinds of places can include my bed or my back porch, my favorite restaurant or a hotel room.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Kimmok Quote:
The building of a support for PowerBook in MOS has been ongoing about four years (since the first demo), still no release.
If it takes 5 years to get MOS to another HW, I wonder if Hyperion manages to do similar job in less than a year....

You can't compare the two:

From what has been said by the Frieden's, one reason they rejected porting to Apple hardware was the lack of hardware documentation, which means it would take a lot more time to write & debug all the necessary drivers.

OTOH, I assume that they will have most of the necessary hardware documentation for the OS4 Netbook, which presumably means that development will go much faster.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
A portable device running OS4 is exactly what I'm after. If it's e300-based then I hope it will have a decent GPU with hardware video decoding capability that I could use in DvPlayer. That would make up for the slower CPU.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Hans wrote:
Quote:

Troels wrote:
CPU speed might not be a problem for the OS itself, but for applications and overall usability I see some problems.

Well, there are people using AmigaOS 4.x with blizzard PPC cards, which max out at 240 MHz. While clock speed isn't directly related to processing power (the CPU's design also plays a big role), I'm pretty sure that a 240 MHz 603e is slower than the much newer MPC5121e at 400 MHz. You might want to ask some classic AmigaOS 4.x users what usability is like on their classic machines.

Hans

Usability is fine on Blizzard/Cyberstorm PPC for the OS itself. It's the larger apps like timberwolf, blender and most ported games that suffer from the lack of horse power and memory (especially on Cyberstorm with a max of 128MB ram, half of which is consumed just to boot the OS). Otherwise smaller normal apps and even IBrowse is fine. Natively compiled apps tend to work better.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)