Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »
Re: need advice on SAM460EX purchase
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@mr2
But people have already reported compatible PCI-E card(s) on this thread (albiet not cheap).

wich ones are those then ??
or i missed the threads about that.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

He wrote :

...there is a PCIe SATA card that should work. Some Sam460 owner should test it ;)

...but yes, this card he linked surprisingly has Sil 3114 chip. Now im confused...

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@klapdeur

See post #13.

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
oh that one ive seen it and was talking about those cards if someone has tested it yet on a sam460.

im thinking of getting one but i get take the financial gamble at the moment .

at the cards manual specs it has the correct chipset so it should work.

but like it sayd i just cant take the gamble that it doesnt work.Normally i would take the change but its not always good times im afraid

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Question is, are there internal SATA ports?

EDIT: 4x eSATA and 2xSATA.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
klapdeur wrote:
Quote:
nbache wrote:

I've ordered two [...]

So I guess we'll see ...
did they work?
Whoa there ... I wrote this Friday night (European time), and it is now Sunday night. I'm not expecting them to arrive until at best some time in the coming week. And then I have to find time for trying them out.

Quote:
let us know im thinking of getting one also.
Will do.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi niels yes i saw it ti late that you posted it friday lol:

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

mr2 wrote:
@ChrisH

He wrote :

...there is a PCIe SATA card that should work. Some Sam460 owner should test it ;)

...but yes, this card he linked surprisingly has Sil 3114 chip. Now im confused...

The question is only, if this card is recognized by Sam460 in Uboot (such that you can boot from a connected HD). AmigaOS4 works nicely with this card in my Amiga (not being a Sam460) :)

If everything else fails then at least booting the kickstart moduls from a SD card and then from a HD at that Sata controller really should work with the Sam460 -- but since I don't have a Sam460, I can't guarantee :)

nexus

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Booting OS4 from a SD card works on my Sam460.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

Sinan wrote:
Yes, I have done that as well on mine.

But even without that, one could always have one HD on the builtin SATA port for booting and then the rest on the SiI3114 PCIe card. That's probably how I want to use it here, although I'll of course try booting from it as well.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

nbache wrote:
Quote:

Sinan wrote:
Yes, I have done that as well on mine.

But even without that, one could always have one HD on the builtin SATA port for booting and then the rest on the SiI3114 PCIe card. That's probably how I want to use it here, although I'll of course try booting from it as well.

Best regards,

Niels

Is that possible to use the pcie 1x slot and the sata onboard the same time ???

if this card works then the sam 460 and amigaOne 500 are top machine ready to go then its waiting for the 3d support

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

Is that possible to use the pcie 1x slot and the sata onboard the same time ???

Note from Acube site:

Notes: the SATA2 port and the PCI-e 1x slot are mutually exclusive, only one of them can be used at a time

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

mr2 wrote:

Note from Acube site:

Notes: the SATA2 port and the PCI-e 1x slot are mutually exclusive, only one of them can be used at a time
Ah, right, I had forgotten about that.

Well, then let's hope booting from the card will work, I'd rather not have to use an SD card as my normal boot source.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi nbache

when do you think you will recieve the card?

im looking for it here at local internet shops.

i really really hope its supported in uboot. i was checking the web to see if i can find anything about it , and as far i can see i should work.

regards
Klapdeur

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
The cards arrived today. I hope to get time to try them out during the weekend.

One little surprise: There are only two internal ports, but four external (eSATA) ports. Two of the four SATA channels can be jumpered to use either an internal or an external port.

For testing, I don't need more than the two internal ports, and probably not afterwards for the Sam460ex either, but I had hoped to be able to run four internal HDDs off the one I will put in the X1000. So that will probably require running cables from the eSata ports back into the cabinet and to the disks.

Does anybody know whether this can be done? Is eSata and internal SATA the same - apart from the shape of the plug? Are there conversion cables?

(I should look for this info myself - and will, but if anybody knows already ...)

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

Does anybody know whether this can be done? Is eSata and internal SATA the same - apart from the shape of the plug? Are there conversion cables?

(I should look for this info myself - and will, but if anybody knows already ...)

According to the Wiki its just a SATA with an external plug.
You mean something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00119P6SU/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Edited by mr2 on 2012/1/28 8:19:06
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yes, eSATA is the same as SATA, just with a different plug. In the past I have actually plugged an internal SATA port to an (external) eSATA drive (using a suitable conversion cable), but these days I have a backplate to do the job.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
And???
nbache is the card working and booting from???

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I had some time today to make my first tests with the Exsys EX-3506 card in the Sam460ex. I first tried simply switching the UBoot setting from Sata2 to PCIe and putting the HD cable on the first internal port of the card and booting from "SATA 3114 HD" (or whatever that setting is called, can't check it ATM).

No luck. So it seems UBoot/FLB cannot use devices on the card as boot sources.

Now I'm setting up an SD card with a copy of my system, so I can boot into that without having my HD connected. Once that works, I am going to try switching over again and boot from the SD card and see if the HD is recognized after booting into AmigaOS. But I'm not setting my hopes too high.

More tomorrow (I expect).

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

nbache wrote:
I had some time today to make my first tests with the Exsys EX-3506 card in the Sam460ex. I first tried simply switching the UBoot setting from Sata2 to PCIe and putting the HD cable on the first internal port of the card and booting from "SATA 3114 HD" (or whatever that setting is called, can't check it ATM).

No luck. So it seems UBoot/FLB cannot use devices on the card as boot sources.

Did you also change the jumper on the motherboard for switching between Sata2 and PCIe? You have to change both the UBoot setting, and the jumper.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »