Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
56 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 56

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Sam440ep "The Red One"
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ssolie

I fully agree. At the moment I also don't see how this is going to happen. Their hands are tied because of the court case, that's why they can only hint at things. Have you realized that there is no official annoucement that says they are porting or have ported OS4? Although this might have already happened, it says something about the legal status of it!

They keep on hinting so that the peoples will still keep on hoping, some even believing they will be able to buy Sam bundled with OS4 at the show. But they will show it with Crux at the show. Maybe I will say "hooray" when I can order Sam with OS4 at a shop, but currently it is just another board that runs Linux. And for that purpose, it is a very slow and expensive one!

@all

"Thy wish was father, Harry, to that thought."

Shakespeare, Henry IV, Pt. II (IV.v.91)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Whe I buy it :). I REALLY would like to have this baby...

I miss the Amiga ONE...

Maybe we should babtise it as Amiga TWO?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Kreciu

or just A2 to avoid using the cursed word

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

Valiant@Camelot
AmigaOne XE, 800Mhz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u7
Sam440ep, 666Mhz, 512Mb, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u6
A1-X1000, 1.8Ghz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1x
A1-X5000/40 2.2Ghz, 2GB, Radeon HD 7700, OS4.1 FE ud 2
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Valiant

I really would like to by it!!! And OS4.O please! :D. I just have a "free" cash... just mobo + OS4 I can do the rest... WHERE and WHEN!

I'm waiting!

Kreciu ;)

Ps. I'm waiting last 5 years ;).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Kreciu wrote:

Ps. I'm waiting last 5 years ;).

Bad new Kreciu, keep waiting .... unless you want linux, but wait, you could buy a quad core intel running at 2.4 GHz for even LESS than the amount a Sam440EP costs.

That's my goal, an xp gaming super rig. Maybe in a few years I'll save up enough for one more (Amiga) computer.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

By the way, whatever happened to that Fantasy Amiga case project? Such a case would be ideal for the Sam440.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi COBRA,

The only person I can remember working on it was AmigaMac. He's not a member here, but is on AW.N.

It's tragic if we DON'T get it available. I'd buy the case even if there was no board available/forthcoming.

How COOL would it be to get an Amiga Fantasy case with the Sam440EP AND the mini-mig in there?!?!

"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Kreciu

Maybe Amiga 0.75 would be more appropriate as it is still a downgrade if you already have an Amiga One

I would be expecting new hardware in the 1.5 - 2 GHz range by now, since it is several years since the 800MHz A-ones were released

Why are the CPUs so low powered, can't they source any faster ones ? Or is there some technical reason ?

Bill

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BillE

Because it?s designed for industry, companies does use this terminals for CPU hungry applications what?s way there is no quad core CPU on it.

Low powered PC are often called pc terminals and used in application ranging from:

automation, truck and pos terminals, the idea is connect to server, and run low CPU consumption applications on pc terminals, some terminals does not even have HD connector, because boot using the network, this simplify the administrating of the clients and reduce costs for disks.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2007/9/24 16:03:22
Edited by LiveForIt on 2007/9/24 16:08:55
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@BillE

It's a slight downgrade when you consider raw CPU power (e.g. 667MHz vs. 800MHZ), but compared to the uA1 at least, the GPU is much more powerful than the Radeon 7000 chip of the uA1, the Sam has SATA, and USB2.0, and a much faster DDR memory/controller, comes with twice as much RAM, etc. So it is definitely an upgrade to the uA1, in every aspect except raw CPU performance, where it is probably a 20% downgrade, which I don't think will be noticable due to the much faster RAM. I think that overall the Sam440 is worth more than the uA1 and costs less at the same time, so it is definitely an improvement.

Having said that I would too like to see considerably more powerful hadware, in fact I would like to see a range of hardware available for OS4, with the Sam440 covering the low-end, and other boards for the mid and high-end.

The reason we have 667MHz in the Sam440 is because there weren't any more poweful SoC (Silicon on Chip) devices available at the time when the Sam was designed, and also the 440EP has a reasonable price tag attached to it. Using SoC devices means faster and easier development process, which meams it costs less to develop a board based on it, and it is finished faster, than using conventional CPUs with external northbridge/southbridge, and also the final product costs less to manufacture and has fewer components.

However now there are much more powerful SoC solutions available, AMCC offers the 460EX, which runs at up to twice the speed of the 440EP (1.2GHz) and also features an L2 cache, which the 440EP lacks, has built-in PCI-Express controller, etc. Freescale also now offers the MPC8641D, which is a G4-based dual-core SoC running at up to 1.5GHz, also supporting PCI-Express on-chip. Also, recently the PA Semi 1682M has become available, which is a G5-based dual-core SoC, also featuring PCI-Express and running at up to 2GHz. So there are a lot of SoC solutions available now, but these have only been available since very recently, and we are not likely to see any completed boards based on these chips this year.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AmiKit

A2

Sorry, I'm not anti-Amigan, but

0*1=0
0*2=0

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Atheist

How COOL would it be to get an Amiga Fantasy case with the Sam440EP AND the mini-mig in there?!?!

I'd buy a an Amiga Fantasy case with Minimig in it in a second! Mmmmmm!!!!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

That would be extremely COOL !!!!!!!!! And even better if they can make Sam460EX/SamMPC8641D/SamPASemi1682M in future !!! But it's not that cool without OS4 of course.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi COBRA,

Weeeelllll, the AmigaOne has Altivec, and IS a 933MHz part, actually, and also, doesn't ACube offer a drop in replacement for it that does 1.2 GHz?

AmigaOneXE is clearly the BEST Amiga NG available TO THIS DAY!, and I am VERY grateful to have been able to get my hands on it.

Thank you very much Mr. Redhouse of Eyetech!!!!!!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Bottom line, no AOS4.x HW until at least ~Mar. 2008! !!!!!!!!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BillE

You know depend how you will at that :).

Yes, processor is slower, but Amiga OS NEWER needed fast processors :), only some coding/decoding... which I will run on my... PC :P Core2Duo 2.66 (I know, writing this on Amiga forum is BAD). But it's true. The same like my laptop is iBook G4 :).

Ok. Coming back to topic.

For me Sam440 looks pretty good, Radeon 9250 is VERY nice (I have one on one of my pc's...), DDR266... slow but again here a speed don't do soooo much like in PC.

USB2.0 this IS important when you want copy 4Gb of pictures in 20 min... (around! ;) )

Than SATA, very cheap HDD, CDRW...

I really don't need more for my Ami :), expect Office :P or even Open Office!...

I realy would like to buy it... Sam440 come to me ;)

Kreciu

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

Weeeelllll, the AmigaOne has Altivec, and IS a 933MHz part, actually, and also, doesn't ACube offer a drop in replacement for it that does 1.2 GHz?

My microA1 does not have altivec, it has an 800MHz G3, so a Sam440 would not be a downgrade for me. For AmigaOne-XE owners it would be, sure.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Bottom line, no AOS4.x HW until at least ~Mar. 2008! !!!!!!!!

Huh?! Where did you get this from? What is going to happen in March 2008?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
COBRA wrote:

What is going to happen in March 2008?

Hi COBRA,

Hopefully the trial will be resolved/over in Hyperion's favor by then.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »