Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Source code of Timberwolf ?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Why don't remember that Timberwolf or Libreoffice are free time projects? Anyone can take them and starts to develop from scratch. But no one did it in the past.. So please. Stop to ask everything for the same things and let the people spend its *free time* how they wants.

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup

Absolutely second your emotion

There is so much going on behind the curtains right now...i can't wait to play with all the new stuff once those curtains go up

4.2 will be christmas to all who can wait

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
While i am with Samir, still no one will do anything on sources except brothers. Everyone will keep eye on them, will think "yes, they put sources", but that will make no sense anyway as no one will works on them except brothers.

But yep, if bounty says source will be there after a year, then it worth to just upload them on some SF, so everyone will just know there is no games.

I in general never understand all that "we close everything from everyone" of projects which should be opened or already half opened, or already based on sources opened by someone before. That to say easy feels strange :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79 Quote:
LibreOffice was so necessary when you need to complete Timberwolf first and even more all the other important components of the OS ?

I don't think so, normal behaviour in any normal world should be announce a project and then try to complete it, then after that (and only after that) start something else ..

But all the projects you mention are completely different in their type:
* Timberwolf is a spare-time FREE personal project.
* LibreOffice is a paid project but IIRC only when it doesn't conflict with their main AmigaOS4 work. (And it is paid by Trevor D, not Hyperion.)
* Gallium is an AmigaOS4 project. (Paid by Hyperion.)

My only worry was that LibreOffice detract from Timberwolf, but I emailed Trevor D about that (rather than posting speculation on forums), and he assured me that is not the case (he gave some reasons but I'd need to check first what I can(not) reveal - email me (or PM on AW.net - I won't notice one on Amigans.net) if you wish to know, then I'll ask him).

I would suggest you assume the people involved are not ENTIRELY stupid, and that they chose the best option given all the facts (which we are not privy to).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
But all the projects you mention are completely different in their type:

Chris no matter how different type they are, a day has 24 hours only, if you do a thing you can't do another one and viceversa ..

Knowing all the huge commitments they had, they not had to take in charge another project like that .. (imho eh)

So as logic at first place should be the OS components (Mesa/Gallium and all the other promised OS4.2 commitments)

Then Firefox --> this one need to be usable in a decent timeframe, we already wait years and don't forget that amigans donates lot of money for it

Quote:
My only worry was that LibreOffice detract from Timberwolf

Mate your are a developer not a casual fanboy, you know better than me that a project like LibreOffice even when released it will take years before been usable for real, as usable i mean fast, well integrated, without big bugs and so on ..

AmigaOS need to be improved and adapted first in order to handle such mainstrem style efforts .. it's the same usual story we already know, beside Timberwolf see how mutch time Alfkil dedicate to Qt and it's not finished yet, so you can imagine ..

Quote:
I would suggest you assume the people involved are not ENTIRELY stupid

I never say that, but as external observer all i can see is a general disorganization ..

Quote:
(he gave some reasons but I'd need to check first what I can(not) reveal - PM me if you wish to know, then I'll ask him).

Sure i will contact you later, eventually you can also PM me when you want

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@vox,

That statement you quoted was from November of 2012, not some time in 2013, so the end of the year is now almost 9 months ago.

Still, I think it was a bit wrong of Samo79 to word his original message the way he did, implying that nothing is being done, when he was part of a discussion about progress less than 9 months ago.

We all wish that we had faster software and OS development in the world of Amiga (and Amiga-Like) systems, but we all also know that resources are very limited and the practicality of faster development does not exist at this point in time.

I don't believe that threads like this one are helpful in any way, and only distract and de-motivate the persons involved in creating, and working on any Amiga software projects.

Samo79, I believe you owe the Timberwolf author(s) an apology for starting this thread the way in which you did.

Personally, I hope his health has completely recovered, and that he no longer has any limitations on the amount of time he can spend using a computer, and writing code that will be a benefit to myself, and all other AmigaOS4.x users.

All of that being said, one of my chief complaints against Hyperion, is their bad choices made in choosing how, what, and when to make announcements, and their general bad communication skills with the AmigaOS4.x users. We as users have equal blame in our communications toward Hyperion, and the developers they employ, which is partly why there is such a low quantity of communications from Hyperion to all of us, but being in the position that Hyperion has accepted by continuing AmigaOS development, they must also accept a certain amount of criticism from the users and grow thick skins to avoid the worst parts of the complaints that may be unwarranted.

To Hyperion staff & developers, please take my comments as constructive criticism, as my hope is for better communication between yourselves and the users in the future, and not simply to be one more source of negative feedback. My hope is for a better future and success in all you do, as I would much better like to use an Amiga-Like system for all of my computing needs in the future, than depend on any Windows, Mac, Linux system, for certain tasks that are difficult, or impossible currently on AmigaOS4.x.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)