Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
72 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 71

trixie, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Sylpheed stealing e-mail
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I use YAM to get e-mail that I want to save on my desktop.

If I forget to do so before I launch Sylpheed, Sylpheed gets any mail that YAM hasn't seen yet, and then it is hidden from YAM!

"Remove messages from server when received" in Configuration is unchecked, and in fact when I look on the gmail account that has taken over the duty of server, the messages are still there.

This is another side of a problem that has nothing to do with AmiCygnix, but I'll mention it: until my e-mail ISP was moved to Google, I would delete junk mail by marking it "Delete only" in YAM, before downloading. I still mark it that way, but nothing gets deleted; I have to log into the g-mail account and dlete what I don't want by hand.

I will now have to go to g-mail and forward anything I want in YAM to myself and then run YAM again.

If I understood what the heck is going on, would I be able to fix it?

Go to top
Re: Sylpheed stealing e-mail
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I've never heard of Sylpheed, but I suspect it's using POP3 to download emails.

Gmail has a POP3 counter of some sort, which means POP3 clients only see emails once (this is probably also the reason why the "delete from server" function doesn't work as expected). If both Sylpheed and YAM are downloading emails, neither will be able to get the emails that the other has already downloaded.

The solution is to use IMAP for one of the clients. YAM doesn't support this of course, but maybe Sylpheed does?

I have many email clients here, except YAM they are all set to use IMAP and I don't have this problem.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
googlemail has a mode called "recent mode". Using this mode will leave the mails on the server for at least 30 days.

Refer to this page for details.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The IMAP thing sounded worth checking into. But there doesn't seem to be a way to make Sylpheed retrieve mail with it, and I also seem to remember being instructed to use POP3 when hawaii.edu switch to gmail.

Someone else told me about "recent mode" this morning, and I took a look. But it seems the opposite of what I really want to do, which is delete junk mail without having to go to OWB to do it (a second time, as it were).

What I need to find out is whether gmail, set to delete downloaded mail, will still really keep mail YAM tells it to "Leave." And then does it delete mail as soon as I read it at the gmail site?

I think I may have a safe way to find out. If so, then all I need to do is turn Sylpheed's mail reader off. I use it mainly for Usenet anyway.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have Yam installed as well using Gmail as my primary Email provider.

There are settings at the Gmail end for how you want it to behave in the POP3/IMAP settings.

The trouble is anything marked "spam" is sent to the Gmail spam folder and deleted after 30days... "just in case" you spam mark something you want...

I'm willing to screenshot some settings and send those to you if you are interested?

but I have a small mountain of filters at Gmail as well as in Yam that work together...

Also Gmail keeps "archive" copies of Email until set to actually delete what it is told.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
My gmail.hawaii.edu account seems rather more limited in settings ("Contact your site administrator") than my gmail proper, which for some reason I can't seem to get into today ("Your browser is no longer supported. Download Chrome").

I could change ISP, I suppose, but after over 30 years of being mathias@hawaii.edu, I hate the thought of changing.

But if nothing else works, I may get back to you. Thanks.

Go to top

Register To Post