Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
86 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Odd font problem
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I was playing with AbiWord today, newly installed.

It has a few fonts I've never seen or heard of before; I thought it would make sense to print out samples, typing the font name in the given font.

Went well enough through all the more or less standard fonts, then Kochi Gothic, Notepad, Morpheus, and Grunge. But when I added Cinema to the list, neither my printer nor AmiGS would have anything to do with it: "Unknown error."

It displays fine in AbiWord, and also in System/TypeManager. I wonder why it won't print? Not that I see myself wanting to really use Cinema any time soon.

Incidentally, PageStream5 handles Cinema just fine, from edit screen to paper.

Go to top
Re: Odd font problem
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kilaueabart

Can you post a screenshot, which shows the problem?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cygnusEd

Quote:

cygnusEd wrote:
@kilaueabart

Can you post a screenshot, which shows the problem?

Well, no, I can't. I probably wasn't clear. Cinema displays perfectly in AbiWord (and in PageStream), but if I try to print it directly to the printer (the closest thing I can figure out to do that is print to file: "prt:output.ps"), the printer light blinks once, then comes back on steady.

Ditto if I print the file to ram: and copy to prt:.

If I print to ram: and try to open the file with AmiGS, I get an alert window named "Error" reading "Ghostscript interpreter exited: unknown error." Another window opens all the way across the screen, named "Ghostscript interpreter output," and it says, "GPL Ghostscript 8.54: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1."

I don't think it would make sense to send a screenshot of that. What I could send is the resultant postscript file. In fact, I think I will meanwhile do an identical document in PageStream and compare the output PostScript files.

Added later: I did that experiment, comparing only so far as to note that the PageStream file for one page containing the word "cinema" was 55013 bytes long, while the AbiWord file with "CINEMA" (only upper case available) was only 4237 bytes.

So I AbiWorded another file with "cinema" in TimesNewRoman and it came out at 9566 bytes. So I compared the two AbiWord files, and found no real differences that I could see. The TimesNewRoman was longer presumably only because the font bitmap contains more characters. However, the PageStream bitmap is 16067 bytes while the AbiWord one is only 1846 bytes.)

Aside from bitmaps, these are the only lines that differed:

This is from the one that does not print:

%%+ font (GnomeUni-Cinema Regular) cvn
%!PS-TrueTypeFont-1.0-1.0
%- Font subset generated from a source font file: '/Cygnix/CygnixPPC/share/imlib2/data/fonts/cinema.ttf'
%- Original font name: Cinema Regular
%- Original font family: Cinema
%- Original font sub-family: Regular
/FontName /GnomeUni-Cinema Regular def
/FontBBox [-73 -100 1202 900] def
Encoding 32 /glyph1 put
Encoding 38 /glyph2 put
Encoding 57 /glyph3 put
Encoding 61 /glyph5 put
Encoding 69 /glyph7 put
Encoding 70 /glyph9 put
/XUID [103 0 1 16#40790016 7 16#AAABA097 16#67609EE1] def
/glyph7 7 def
/glyph8 8 def
/glyph9 9 def
/glyph10 10 def
end readonly def
(\40\46\106\75\105\71)show
%%+ font (GnomeUni-Cinema Regular) cvn
=================================================
This is from the one that does print:

%%+ font (GnomeUni-BitstreamVeraSerif-Roman) cvn
%!PS-TrueTypeFont-1.0-2.0
%- Font subset generated from a source font file: '/Cygnix/CygnixPPC/share/fonts/truetype/VeraSe.ttf'
%- Original font name: BitstreamVeraSerif-Roman
%- Original font family: Bitstream Vera Serif
%- Original font sub-family: Roman
/FontName /GnomeUni-BitstreamVeraSerif-Roman def
/FontBBox [-183 -235 1287 928] def
Encoding 69 /glyph1 put
Encoding 71 /glyph2 put
Encoding 73 /glyph3 put
Encoding 77 /glyph4 put
Encoding 81 /glyph5 put
Encoding 82 /glyph6 put
/XUID [103 0 1 16#FF4760A7 7 16#8095A8A3 16#90B19511] def
(\107\115\122\111\121\105)show
%%+ font (GnomeUni-BitstreamVeraSerif-Roman) cvn

Edited by kilaueabart on 2009/12/25 0:39:24
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kilaueabart

Hmm - I think you've found a bug in AmiCygnix. The fonts in "Cygnix:CygnixPPC/share/imlib2/data/fonts" are bad formatted. They were included in the imlib2 library package and I've included them without tests.

Please use "FontForge" (an AmiCygnix program available on OS4-depot) to repair the fonts. Load the font into the program (ignore the error messages) and save it with the menu item "File/Generate Fonts...". Afterwards it should work

Don't forget to refresh the font caches!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cygnusEd

Being fairly demented with age, it took me several attempts before I found and selected all the right options, but the FontForge treatment finally worked!

Thank you.

Now I'll have to make a point of actually using CINEMA some day!

Go to top

Register To Post