Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

afxgroup, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

I ruined my AmiCygnix (slightly)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I've only had the program installed for less than two days, but already messed up part of it.

I was delighted to see that Character Map included the Japanese kanas. What's more, if I went to sci.lang.japan with a Sylpheed NNTP account, messages with kana in them would display the kana.

Kana alone isn't worth much, and the kanji were represented by squares with the kanji's hex code inside, so I thought maybe if there were a complete Japanese font available, it might show the kanji as well. I copied one into AmiCygnix/AmicygnixPPC/share/fonts and tried to relaunch AmiCygnix.

The screen came up, and that was it. Obviously the application did not like what I had done, so I deleted the Japanese font.

The result is--no more hiragana, no more katakana, either in Sylpheed or in Character Map. Wait, that turns out to be not quite true. I get it back if I set the font in Character Map to DejaVuSerif, but still just hex-filled squares in Sylpheed.

Not being able to read kana is no big deal if I can't see kanji too, but suppose I did want to fix this. How much would I have to delete and reinstall?

Go to top
Re: I ruined my AmiCygnix (slightly)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kilaueabart

Please install your own fonts in "Cygnix:Home/root/.fonts" and not in "Cygnix:CygnixPPC/share/fonts".
You MUST call "Refresh-Font-Caches.bat" (Or "Refresh-ALL-Caches.bat") from the directory "Cygnix:S/Utilities" afterwards. Maybe your caches are broken now.

If this does not help, you should install AmiCygnix from scratch.

Go to top
Re: I ruined my AmiCygnix (slightly)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cygnusEd

What you said (I can't make NetSurf quote it) *did* help. I can now read sci.lang.japan posts in their intirety in Sylpheed.

Darn. Now I have to make a donation.

I'll make another when someone enables *answering* such posts in Japanese possible.

Go to top

Register To Post