Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Headlines

Register To PostTopic is Locked  

« 1 2 (3) 4 »
Re: Filer 53.29 uploaded
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@all

And with correct aspect ratio:

http://orgin.biz/~orgin/filer/filerthumbs2.png

What are your expectations when it comes to thumbnails?
- Is it okey if you have to rescan the thumbnails every time you visit a folder?
- If not, do you want a 'thumbnail' work folder on your harddrive where the filer can store pre-made thumbnails?
- Should thumbnails be generated automatically when you visit a folder or is it enough to have a 'view thumbnails' or 'generate thumbnails' button? It can take a very long time, and use a lot of cpu to generate all thumbnails if the original images are large.
- Should thumbnails follow the icon size settings, have its own separate settings, or even be a hard coded fixed value (like max 64*64)?
- Should rows with a thumbnail always have the same height regardless of if the thumbnail uses the full height? (like icons currently do)
- Anything else?

(Note: thumbnails will probably not be available on pre 4.1u1 including 4.0 due to missing transparency support in the bitmap class.)

@kas1e

Doing that would mean a HUGE change so it's not likely that it will happen any time soon. It may seem like an easy fix, but it's not. Parsing it is just the easy part. You have to consider concurrency issues and that the current implementation isn't built for it at all. And it might add limitations compared to the current system that end users probably won't be vary happy with. An alternative solution might simply be to add an arexx port that you can send (named) to external scripts, that in turn can call back to the filer that started it with arexx commands like $CD.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Tuxedo

You can also reverse the d&d so that it defaults to copy but changes to move if you hold shift.

Using emulate workbench drag&drop limits you so you can't decide yourself if the file is copied or not.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Tuxedo

Quote:

Tuxedo wrote:

Whoops...I miss that :P

Yes, the option is there, and the D&D copy/move behaviour was the first thing I changed when I started working with Filer

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin
Arexx port will be nice too then if it can can handle arexx scripts. But how it will deal with $CD ? I mean if i do for example execute of arexx script, then arexx script will know nothing about internal $CD , but if use $CD in the launcher/command field, then how to run script + $cd at one push ?:)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

Quote:

orgin wrote:
@all

- Is it okey if you have to rescan the thumbnails every time you visit a folder?
- If not, do you want a 'thumbnail' work folder on your harddrive where the filer can store pre-made thumbnails?
- Should thumbnails be generated automatically when you visit a folder or is it enough to have a 'view thumbnails' or 'generate thumbnails' button? It can take a very long time, and use a lot of cpu to generate all thumbnails if the original images are large.
- Should thumbnails follow the icon size settings, have its own separate settings, or even be a hard coded fixed value (like max 64*64)?
- Should rows with a thumbnail always have the same height regardless of if the thumbnail uses the full height? (like icons currently do)
- Anything else?

(Note: thumbnails will probably not be available on pre 4.1u1 including 4.0 due to missing transparency support in the bitmap class.)

No, not rescan, put a thumbnail folder and store all the pre made thumbnails. There should be an option given e.g Always Auto-Generate and Generate at will. The size should be hard code and the rows should always remain the same.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Cool_amigaN

What about read-only devices or USB devices? One may not want to create thumbnail folders on a digital camera for example.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@kas1e

The arexx port would accept $CD commands.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin
Understand, good. Sorry for annoing, but will it works for FileTypes ? I mean, with the internal commands i can only put that actions on the buttons, but will it possible with Arexx port do double-click by mouse action ? (filetypes).

ps. thumbs mode on latest screenshots looks nice. But i think loading not so fast ?:)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@kas1e

Why? Are you somehow unable to run scripts either way?

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

I just about the same problem: double-click on ISO, then it will mounts by diskimage + filler will be automatically CD to that new mounted volume. So because of it i ask about these ";" separators and CD implemetation for filetypes. In that case (if it will works for filetypes), users can make huge scripts with actions like: do something + cd somethere + ask somethere + do something + cd somethere. It can help automatic many thinks (that ISO mounting + cd to the new volume just an easy example because of which i ask about it).

Of course will be cool if Filer someday can browse an image-disks as directoryes, but i think xadmaster does not support ISO ? As far as i test on morphos/ambient, ambient can go into the ISO as to directory, but dunno how it implemented in ambient: over xadmaster, or over internal routines.

Anyway, that CD/etc for filetypes can be usable not only in terms of ISO mounting :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@all

So back to the important stuff. Any comments on how the thumbnail functionality should work?

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin
IMHO, thumbnails should be correct aspect ratio (not squashed), BUT also resized to fit within a fixed-size rectangle (either 64x64 or better user-specified). Therefore a picture thumbnail will be the same, what-ever other pictures it is with.

Thumbnail generation/caching needs to be configurable, but avoid too many options if possible. Suggestions:

1. Prefs should offers two modes, either (a) auto-generate thumbnails, or (b) manual thumbnail generation (requires a button press). This should please most people, without being overly complex.

2. Thumbnails should be stored within a cache, so they can be quickly shown again. Default for this cache would be RAM:SomeFolder or maybe T:SomeFolder, but the user could choose another path if he wants to keep thumbnails permanently. This should please most people, without being overly complex. (Emptying the cache can be achieved using just the Delete command.)

3. Given the above two points, cached thumbnails would always be shown (at least if showing of icons is enabled). Generating the thumbnails should be done in a separate task, just like (def)icon loading is. Maybe even use the same task for that job?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Related to thumbnails and alt:

Not sure that you will in interest to follow Ambient way (but why not, if its usable), and you can add clicable button(s) on the main filer window, which will mean switching beetwen thumbs, icons and alt. modes. In Ambinet there 2 clickable buttons:

First button: icon or list
Second button: thumbs, icons or show all files.

How it looks like:

screenshot 1 (thumbs + icons)
screenshot 2 (thumbs + list).

Its pretty usable if compare with pressin options, choise something and pression use/save. Of course it can be added not like in ambient, and not exactly like that, but main idea - allow to user switch fast beetwen important and possible modes.

For example for Filer it can be just one clickable gadget somethere, with that context: thumbs, real_icons, list.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

Quote:

orgin wrote:
@Cool_amigaN

What about read-only devices or USB devices? One may not want to create thumbnail folders on a digital camera for example.

Hmm, I though that there would be a *universal* thumbnail drawer (e.g inside the main installation of Filer) and for every directory containing images that should be displayed in thumbnail by the user, the corresponding path inside the universal thumbnail drawer would be created..

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

kas1e wrote:
@orgin

Related to thumbnails and alt:

Not sure that you will in interest to follow Ambient way (but why not, if its usable), and you can add clicable button(s) on the main filer window, which will mean switching beetwen thumbs, icons and alt. modes. In Ambinet there 2 clickable buttons:

First button: icon or list
Second button: thumbs, icons or show all files.

This is also the way Dopus operates nowadays in Windows (from 2002 at least when I installed it for the first time until now). I think that this root is the best to follow. I would strongly recommend to install the demo of latest Dopus edition and explore it for a month. Perhaps you will get more ideas..

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin
Quote:
Looking good.
Quote:
If you mean re-make the thumbnails every time, this would probably take too long. Ther is a utility available (Eastern?) that does that but it takes too long on my Phot directories.
Quote:
Within the directory the thumbnails relate to.
Quote:
Generate on request, and if thumbnails already exist, use automatically.
Quote:
I think your examole looks fine. You don't want them too large, for the list view that you have shown, or else each line will be spread out too much.
Quote:
Yes
Quote:
- Anything else?

I think that about covers it.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Swoop

"Within the directory the thumbnails relate to."

What if it's a USB device (like a camera or phone) or a write protected media? How would you like that to be handled?

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

Quote:

For me I think you have to add some sort of thumbs save...
Or inside a specified folder or a folder inside every folder whit images to thumb...in a "Thumbs_cache" folder for example...
The behaviour must be choosen as someone like in the prefs...also if always create thumbs or not...

Quote:

To choose in prefs and MUCH important to be very asincronous loading of thumbs...whit low priority so if cou time was poor it dont create problems to the user...

Quote:

Foe me have to be equal to icon properties, but a separate prefs was also better for complete configurability

Quote:

- Anything else?

The only thing that I want to point was the asincronous load(the way it works in current filer state wasnt nice unfortunately...gave me also some stability issues seems...)
The thumbs must also be scaled to aspect ratio(but maybe have to be choosen in prefs).
Also the priority of the thumbs to create/scan have to be related to current displayed files in filer...so if I scroll down/up the prioriti must change...and so on...
The thumbs for digital camera pics may/must be loaded from exif header to speed up things...if possible...
ATM that was all I think...

GOOD WORK!

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Swoop Quote:
Within the directory the thumbnails relate to.

Please NO. I have enough c**p filling my hard-drive, without doubling the number of files within my picture folders (especially as those extra files will be totally useless to any other app).

If this really has to be made an *option*, can I suggest that thumbnails be stored within a sub-folder. Call it ".FilerThumbnails" or something.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

Quote:

orgin wrote:

What if it's a USB device (like a camera or phone) or a write protected media? How would you like that to be handled?

Temporary thumbnail storage in T: ?

Go to top

Register To PostTopic is Locked
« 1 2 (3) 4 »