Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Format & Quick format
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Spectre660
Quote:
I am using a 500GB Western Digital WD5000AAKX-00ERM0 Hard drive in my Sam460ex. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769

The WD5000AZLX i bought is mentioned there as the next version, so in principle that should work.

I checked the consumption given for old & new HD
Seagate Barracudaa 7200.11
5V 0.65A
12V 0.42A
WD5000AZLX (new)
5V 0,68 A
12V 0,55 A

Could it be that in the shop, when they showed me the HD had no errors that it was used with an other voltage?

Go to top
Re: Format & Quick format Edit: + U-boot messages gone
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

I should have taken note of all blocksizes & fileystems i tried.

Presently though I have 3 boot partitions, all FFS respectively 512,1024 and 4096 block size.

All three show readerrors, and are buggy, freezing often on mouse or keyboard manipulation.

On the OS4.1FE DVD i remember there is a "OS4-filesystems.pdf" that gives guidance on blocksize & filesystems.
Could you post its content here? I have no working direct internet contact from my sam right now

Edited by JosDuchIt on 2017/8/24 11:27:29
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@JosDuchIt

You might want to test the drive with the onboard SATA.

You need to set the configuration to SATA 2 if it is not set.
See the Sam460ex user manual page 8
http://www.acube-systems.biz/download ... ex_EndUserManual_v1.3.pdf

also you need to set your Boot Device 1 or Boot Device 3 to 460 SATA2 HD

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

NGFS probably also supports any block size, but again I could be wrong.

NGFS sets it's own block size according to partition size. User settings do not affect this as far as I understand.

I think 512 for SFS2 is a performance related thing, larger block sizes work but are slow.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@JosDuchIt Quote:
All three show readerrors, and are buggy, freezing often on mouse or keyboard manipulation.

I think forget about block sizes, as they should NOT cause such problems, and they clearly didn't help anyway. Stick to 512 block size for the moment, since it's the standard & works with all filing systems (even though MediaToolbox strangely does not default to this).

The suggestion to try using your Sam460's internal SATA port is an excellent idea, although by this point we are grasping at straws a bit.

By the way, what is the MaxTransfer & Mask of your partitions set to? OS4 *may* be more forgiving than Classic Amigas, but I believe the following is still the best settings:
MaxTransfer = 7FFFFFFF
Mask = FFFFFFFE
(Problems with both of these could theoretically cause the problems you have, although I have never heard of them causing problems on real OS4 machines, so again grasping at straws here.)

I would stick to either FFS (slow but extremely robust) or SFS (fast & still pretty robust), as they are both heavily tested.

Quote:
On the OS4.1FE DVD i remember there is a "OS4-filesystems.pdf" that gives guidance on blocksize & filesystems.

Copying & pasting probably won't work well with tables, but I think the most important point from it is do NOT use partition sizes above 128GB with SFS\00.

Since we have basically run out of ideas, and you do not seem able to try a different model of HD, I am going to strongly suggest you check the drive's SMART statistics. While there is an Amiga utility for doing this, it would probably be easier to just use a Windows utility, of which I suggest:

https://www.acronis.com/en-gb/homecomputing/download/drive-monitor/ (this link circumvents the registration process, so I will remove it soon)
or
http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe (which is linked to from http://www.hdtune.com/download.html )

Acronis Drive Monitor is (probably) the easier to use, as it gives a % health of your drive, in addition to the raw SMART statistics. If it shows anything less than 100% on your new drive, then it is faulty & you have strong proof that it should be replaced. (It does however also warn you that your drives are NOT backed-up by Acronis's backup utility, so you will probably want to uninstall it later.)

Edited by ChrisH on 2017/8/24 13:07:50
Edited by ChrisH on 2017/8/24 13:09:24
Edited by ChrisH on 2017/8/24 13:10:10
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Thanks for new suggestions,
Could the higherb12 V requirements be the cause of errors?

I als got hold on an older 80 Gb HD , less demanding

And am trying it out now:
SLB problems here too but no obvious copying problems as was the case with the 500 GB drive

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@JosDuchIt

What ports on the SIL 3512 PCI SATA card are you using for each device ?

I am using port 0 (Top port) for the hard drive
and port 1 (Bottom port) either for a DVD drive or ESATA connection .

I have the latest available Uboot from Acube .
https://acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro. ... -sam460-amigaone-500.html

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@JosDuchIt Quote:
Could the higher 12 V requirements be the cause of errors?

Not if you Amiga is using a standard ATX PSU, similar in size to (say) this one:

Resized Image

But if your Amiga is a compact one, with an external PSU brick (rather than a simple mains 'kettle' plug), then yes, it's *conceivable* that your new HD may not be getting enough power:

Resized Image

(I'm not saying I think it's *likely*, just that it might be possible.)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
the units lokks like th "standard"model but is 85x120x120mm

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all
I prepared the HD with MTB and was attentive when using RDB/disk geometry editing to click on the "install/read configuration" button (giving the frightening warning that all data would be erased)

Indeed, i am under the impression that if you don't, the SLB is not really installed (here with my system) , when only using the "install" slb selection button
Since that is not mentioned in the OS4.1 wiki about installing the OS on a USB stick, it could be important if this is confirmed on an other system.

Presently i have on the 80GB HD the following sys partitions,

FFS (DOS\03, 1024 blocksize,
SFS\00 512 blocksize
FFS (DOS\03, 512 blocksize,

I observe the same reactions from the three boot partitions on trying to boot

- Hard disk not found
- No SLB found on ny ...

I have on latest usage of boot partitions on the new 500 GB HD, observed that "Hard disk not found ”message is present there too, although the partitions boot effectively (but are buggy).
Since I was able to install a bootable partition on the 500 GB, i should be able to do it with the 80 GB HD too

Remark: i was able to use OWB on the 500GB HD and see Amigans but not stable enough to post on the forum (BTW that is what i want to be able to do from a stable USBstick)

I got an other old 40 GB HD and will try to install the OS there
Report folows

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Spectre660
Quote:
What ports on the SIL 3512 PCI SATA card are you using for each device ? I am using port 0 (Top port) for the hard drive and port 1 (Bottom port) either for a DVD drive or ESATA connection . I have the latest available Uboot from Acube . https://acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro. ... -sam460-amigaone-500.html

i have the bottom one for the HD and top for DVD

In those weeks i inadvertently switched both and thatworked too. Only problem was that i di loos the u-boot messages (fixed now)

I have the older u-boot, will download the new one

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@JosDuchIt Quote:
Presently i have on the 80GB HD the following sys partitions,

FFS (DOS\03, 1024 blocksize,
SFS\00 512 blocksize
FFS (DOS\03, 512 blocksize,

I observe the same reactions from the three boot partitions on trying to boot

- Hard disk not found
- No SLB found on ny ...

Quote:
I have on latest usage of boot partitions on the new 500 GB HD, observed that "Hard disk not found ”message is present there too, although the partitions boot effectively (but are buggy).

It seems very odd that you have problems installing/booting OS4 on two entirely different HDs. That seems to suggest that your problem is nothing to do with the HD, but rather something else. (e.g. Dying power supply, dodgy SATA cable, dodgy RAM, dying motherboard, user configuration error).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

On the 40 GB HD the install resuted in a bootable partition that seems to have no errors. :))

I'll redo the 80 GB install to be sure of what i think i did wrong

Thanks to all for help.

I'll try to exchange my 500 GB for one with less power requirement.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@JosDuchIt Quote:
I'll try to exchange my 500 GB for one with less power requirement.

I'm dubious about this explanation, since you have a (slim) ATX powersupply, which should therefore have an excess of power.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
I'm dubious about this explanation, since you have a (slim) ATX powersupply, which should therefore have an excess of power.

I borrowed a bigger PSU and connected the new 500 GB HD to it, the rest of the machine is powered as usual.
This works flawless till now. I was able to download & install OS4.1FE update 1
(That was not possible when the HD was powered with the interanl PSU.)
Working with this set up right now.

I don't know the power requirements of the motherboard, and i don't know the specifications of my internal PSU

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)