Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »
Re: Workbench Explorer feedback
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I tried WBexplorer for no more than 30 seconds. Just after I started it I resized the window and it as so sloooow

Also the program registered itself in Ringhio without tell ing me. Then I had an error message on each system start.
Why WBex didn't ask me if I wanted that?

Well, I'll continue using DirMeUp

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@kas1e

That's much better! :)

Attach file:

jpg  (0.00 KB)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@mritter0

Quote:
Exif thumbs

Metadata library (on os4depot) can parse exif thumbnails.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Elwood Quote:
Also the program registered itself in Ringhio without tell ing me. Then I had an error message on each system start.

What error message? Then maybe he can fix it...

Quote:
Why WBex didn't ask me if I wanted that?

Because there is NO reason for asking that. Ringhio is designed so that (for all programs that can use it) they register themselves with Ringhio when they start.

And you can also configure Ringhio to ignore messages from certain apps, so even less reason for programs to ask users if they should use Ringhio!

Quote:
Well, I'll continue using DirMeUp

Well, I shall continue to use Filer... but I shall be keeping an eye on Workbench Explorer. It's very good for a first version/release.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@klesterjr
Looks like some swap bits problems .. I seen this on winuae from time to time in some apps.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mritter0
Quote:

1. Do you mean in the listbrowser or down below? If listbrowser, it will always be there. If down below you can toggle it off/on from menu or gadget View->Thumbnail.

Yeah, i mean that one below. In Listbrowser it is ok of course. But through as ChrisH point out, disabling Thumbails remove that area at bottom, but it keep big empty space, for about 3-4 strings of empty area, while will be good to shrink it till end. I mean, that how it ow:

Resized Image

And that how it can be if remove that non used extra space:

Resized Image

Quote:

2. Would love to, but listbrowser.gadget can't do single cell selection (like MUI can).

Probably i wrongly say what i mean: I mean, "View style" have all the stuff , and will be good to have "Show as icons" there, as in Filer (it very handy to disable/enable icons show). In your programm i need to go to preferences, icons, and enable "Show Actual Icons". It will be good (imho) to have it just in the "View Style".

But maybe its just matter of taste and learing of programm. If option is there, then in general its already ok if you can setup it as you wish.

Quote:

3. Window menu -> Open Workbench window

No no, options is there, but it works a bit non-intuitive. I mean, just go to "work". So you inside. Now you want it opens in workbench window: and you can' , until you make any directory or file active. And then, it open only what is maked active opened, not in what you right now.

Why i take Filer as example : there is very intuitive in that terms. You go to any directory, move mouse on lister, press "RMB" , choice "open in workbench window", and it opens exactly that directory in which lister are. Not other / selected one.

Also some more questions and feature requests if you doesn't mind :)

1). Add "close gadget" to the preferences window too.

2). In the preferences/columns you have all entries listed as possible to enable disable, but:
-- image ones in all 3 columns can't be even selected
-- name ones can be selected, but can't be enabled/disabled.

So if they shouldn't then suggestion to make the looks "ghosted".

3). Is it possible to change size of the looks of icons ? I mean i set View/Show actual icons, and all icons a bit "small". I want to make them of my size for example. Is it possible ? If not, it possible to add such functionality ?

4). As many said and as i say previosly as well, resizing of the main window are slow indeed.

In general, after using it a bit more, i can see that there already quite of time spend, and it indeed looks proffesional and feature rich.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@mritter0

ok, it seems to take ages to load dirs with big pictures due to SLOOOW file recognoition...
A directrory with many pictures but tiny was scanned MUCH faster than another with same number but BIG pictures...

I suggest you to check:

http://gvsoft.no-ip.org/exif/exif-explanation.html

to have a clue on what Exif metadata was...

Than user the library suggested by TSK et voilà :)

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@mritter0

Looks like a very promising project! Two small GUI-related suggestions: 1) Below the toolbar, leave only one dividing bar (get rid of the other one) - two bars increase visual clutter without adding much to the dividing function. 2) In the bottom information panel, you seem to waste a lot of window estate. I'd suggest making the first listbrowser reach the bottom of the window (users will thank you as soon as their list of Favorites grows), and align the information panel with the second listbrowser.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Elwood Quote:

Is this the error message you're getting from "RinghioServer" after OS4 boots?:
Quote:
CHARSETCONVERT: Zero length FROM file "ram:tmp.txt".
C:Charsetconvert failed returncode 20

I'm suddently getting this also, but I didn't immediately connect it with me having used/installed Workbench Explorer...

edit: I wonder if it's something to do with it's "description" for Ringhio being "(null)" (instead of "No description available" as seen for many other programs)?

How did you manage to fix this error?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

It appears sporadically here. Haven't figured out why sometimes it's triggered and most times not.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
Is this the error message you're getting from "RinghioServer" after OS4 boots?: Quote: CHARSETCONVERT: Zero length FROM file "ram:tmp.txt". C:Charsetconvert failed returncode 20

Exactly.

To get rid of it, I opened Prefs/Notifications and I removed WBex notification.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
My description is not blank:

if ((appID=IApplication->RegisterApplication(PROJECT_NAME2,

REGAPP_URLIdentifier,                "workbenchexplorer.com",

REGAPP_Description,                    SAK_LocaleString(MSG_ABOUT_TAG_LINE),

REGAPP_NoIcon,                        appShowIcon,

REGAPP_AppIconInfo,                    AppIconInfo,

REGAPP_FileName,                    ProgramComplete,

REGAPP_HasIconifyFeature,            TRUE,

REGAPP_HasPrefsWindow,                TRUE,

REGAPP_CanCreateNewDocs,            TRUE,

REGAPP_CustomPrefsFileName,            ProgramPrefsFile,

TAG_END)))

This is how I submit messages:

Result=IApplication->Notify(appID,

APPNOTIFY_Title,                    Title,

APPNOTIFY_Text,                        VABuffer,

APPNOTIFY_PubScreenName,            ScreenName,

APPNOTIFY_ImageFile,                ImageFile,        // 32x32 max

APPNOTIFY_ImageVertAlign,            1,

APPNOTIFY_BackMsg,                    BackMsg,

TAG_DONE);

Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie
1) I have had it both ways. It's a cosmetic issue.

2) It depends on how narrow the user has the window. Most names will show nicely, but once you get longer names they will be cut off. I use a fairly wide window so it is a possibility. Made a note.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mritter0 Quote:
My description is not blank:

Your code does not actually prove that. I suggest you check what is returned by "SAK_LocaleString(MSG_ABOUT_TAG_LINE)". I'm guessing it's NULL for some reason...

You may need to try changing your Prefs/Locale. My preferred languages are "english", followed by "english-british".

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@mritter0

Quote:
I have had it both ways. It's a cosmetic issue.

It is. But in complex GUIs small things tend to add up, so let's not dismiss "cosmetic issues" offhand.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Seems Ringhio+C:CharsetConvert problem if input file RAM:TMP.TXT has 0 bytes it shows such error (it just says that input file is 0 bytes size). Try this under Shell/CLI:
echo >ram:tmp.txt
C:Charsetconvert FROM ram:tmp.txt FROMCHARSET iso-8859-15 TOCHARSET utf-8 TO ram:out.txt

Maybe Ringhio should first check if such file isn't empty/0 bytes, or use OS4 functions for UTF8 conversion.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
jabirulo came up with a solution for the Ringhio error. If the word 'to' is in the description you have to put the entire text in quotes. the FROM arg is not parsing correctly and stops at 'to' thinking it is the argument TO.

So, it is an issue with Ringhio, NOT Workbench Explorer.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mritter0 Quote:
jabirulo came up with a solution for the Ringhio error

If I'm being nit-picky I thought it was me that suggested the solution... (But jabirulo did identify the cause of the problem, without which I would not have made my suggestion.)

Edited by ChrisH on 2017/5/8 10:20:24
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Yes, the fix is yours!!!!

Mine was only suggesting/identifying posible cause.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@mritter0

On my (rather slow) machine it is quite noticeable that when WExplorer quits, you first dispose of the gadget objects and then close the window. It is generally safer, and looks better, to call WM_CLOSE on your window before GUI disposal. The assumed logic and underlying metaphor is that housekeeping is something done behind closed doors, not for the user's eyes to see.

Edited by trixie on 2017/5/8 10:29:14
The Rear Window blog

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »