Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »
Re: What USB do you miss on OS4?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@dazA1

First I try looking inn to writing a Logitech QuickCam driver, if I?m able to get some communication whit that, then I send you my email address, no point other vice.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

ok send me a mail when you get the QuickCam driver working or i could send it you anyway as i have no intention of using it with my PC.

What do you think the problems are in getting it to work on amigaOS4?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rwo
I would like to see USB drivers for MFC or multifunction devices like my HP c3180 scanner/printer/copier and other multifunction devices. They are very popular and it would be nice if they were supported.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@greatmom

Out of curiousity, does the printer part work over USB?

I ask because the Dot4 protocol is supposed to be intended for these multifunction devices (erm, and my printer which isn't).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rwo

I'd love to be able to hotsync my Palm via USB...but I'm guessing the priority is on OS4-working Palm software rather than the USB interface. I can do some things with some of the existing palm 68k software using my serial port at 230k baud.....but the nice GUI based Palm programs don't seem to work.
I recall someone was working on one for OS4 based on GTK....wonder how thats going?

Scott

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@AJS

Just FYI, I could probably do a 17" resistive screen with USB interface and managing software for around 140GBP, but that is based on volume orders, unfortunately I'm in no position to be able to do that.

Simon

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Now I looked at USB stack of OS4, read the developers document at OS4Depot, I can say that USB development is bit complicated, there is quite few thing you need to do, find and take control over USB device, it should be doable anyway.

I did not really understand what difference between, interface based USB device VS Function based USB device, and they looked pity match the same to me.

Communicating whit the devices look easy, just simple IO read and write operations using DoIO().

As for rewriting the Linux Quick Cam driver, I don?t really know amount of work need to rewrite it, it think it going to mostly done from ground up the because it looks like its big difference how Linux kernels works, in general and OS4 USB stack.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
I did not really understand what difference between, interface based USB device VS Function based USB device, and they looked pity match the same to me.

In fact that's simple : take your all-in-one printer (printer+scanner function).
Using USB naming it's a 'Function', now as it has multiple features, it shows them to the system in the form of two 'Interfaces' (one for the Printer functionnality, one for the scanner functionnality).
(another example is a mouse/keyboard combo using one USB port, it also provides two interfaces : one for the keyboard, one for the mouse)

Now back to the stack driver : say you want to write a driver for your printer to be able to print and scan.
You have the choice to write a 'Function driver', that is a driver that will take control of the whole hardware, or an 'Interface Driver' which will take control of one Interface.
In our example you would have to write one Function driver, or two Interface drivers (one for the printing interface, one for the scan interface).
The advantage of writing Interface drivers is that you concentrate on one functionnality, leaving the opportunity for other Interfaces drivers to take care of other interfaces presented by your hardware.
In our example, OS4 already comes with an USB printer driver, so you can already print with your all-in-one printer, it would be stupid to write a Function driver in this case because then you would have to write the printer part as this will prevent the OS4 default driver to acces it
To sum up prefer writing interface drivers instead of Function driver this is more friendly and also you divide the work to do.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LiveForIt

Hehe have been there, but here is the explanation of Interface vs Function

Take a head set... you have one microphone and one set of ear speakers

You can see that as one Function (microphone+speakers) or two Interfaces. if you make a driver for Speakers and run it on Interface level, then this example is half suported.

Another example is Card readers. I have one 18 in one card read, it has support for Mass storage and a Hub. It is supported becoarse we have a Interface driver for Mass Storage and a Interface Hub Driver.

If I were to make a headset driver I whould proberly has choosen to make it as a Function driver as we need too keep Microphone and Spearkers in sync.

RWO

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@abalaban

Argh you beat me to it :)

RWO

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rwo
Graphics tablet and multi-function printer/scanner support for me.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Abalaban and RWO

I think I go for interface then, sound like I can extend that easier if needed.

Now I have found and clamed right to the USB web cam?

But I have yet to do any thing whit, I?m trying to find out some thing about I2C it?s written every where in Linux driver, now I need write some that works the same way as the Linux driver do.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rwo

Slightly off topic:

The only USB devices I have are a thumb drive and a joystick adapter. They both work fine.

The only problem I have with USB is it doesn't work after a warm/soft reset (logo logo Ctrl).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rwo

I would like the usual, of course, but particularly:
HP1360D printer,
PalmOS devices (Palm IIIc and Clie SJ30 f'r'instance),
Kodak DC3400 digital camera.

but most of all, I'd like the USB stack to recognise my USB Hub upon boot of OS4, cos I have to leave it unplugged, boot, then wait a few seconds and plug it in, hoping it will be recognised.
most times I have to go into the shell and type
usbctrl stop
turn off the hub, enter
usbctrl start
and then power up the hub once more.
its a workaround, but its a PITA !
this needs to be done everytime do Ctrl-A-A too.

Avatar: Avro Vulcan - XH558 needs YOU !!
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@agafaster

Quote:
most times I have to go into the shell and type
usbctrl stop
turn off the hub, enter
usbctrl start

did you try usbctrl restart ?

For my USB stick this is the opposite : I have no choice to leave it at boot time (cold or warn) else it is not recognized or I have to restart the USB stack.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@abalaban

Same thing her, but the USB devices I connect to Hub is detected when inserted and removed most of the time.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@All

all those problems recognising devices and hubs
are for the missing pull-up resistors (if I remember right)
I have 2 hubs, a USB 2 with many problems and
a cheap 1.1 one that work very well, with the second one
I have no problems, I can connect and disconnect,
power on and off all the devices with no problems.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rwo
Since reading this thread I now understand the differences with USB drivers and why I keep getting the message "hub cannot add device".

This has been a very useful discussion. I am sorry I can not contribute in any meaningful way.

ace

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@pvanni

Quote:

pvanni wrote:
@All

I thought it might, but things seemed to be working ok(ish) up until an OS Update (I think). I used to have a multiple media reader in an internal 3.5" floppy, which has NEVER worked.

so... next question: what needs doing ? are there any instructions I can take to a qualified SMC repairshop ?

-edit-
oh - and any webcam stuff will be very gratefully received here! (Toucam and Logitech Quickcam 5000 particularly, but any CCD one )

Avatar: Avro Vulcan - XH558 needs YOU !!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@agafaster

Quote:

agafaster wrote:
@pvanni

Quote:

pvanni wrote:
@All

I thought it might, but things seemed to be working ok(ish) up until an OS Update (I think). I used to have a multiple media reader in an internal 3.5" floppy, which has NEVER worked.

1)I have a floppy usb I'd like to use when I get OS4
2) seen some great stuff on ebay like a usb to sound (its just a cable)
3) usb to serial
4) usb on the go (OTG) lots of devices fall under this
5) usb printer A MUST
6) usb to memory devices

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »