Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »
Re: Whats next?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Kas1e
Dropdown menus are absolutely no problem. It is only a matter of priorities. For example, in the coming version I have concentrated on implementing spellcheck instead of dropdown menus. I will see if I can move up dropdown menus for future versions :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@desler

Thanks for joining us. So we can expect CW 1.0 this year and be able to do all stuff ppl do on open office and microsoft office? Sounds really good!!

So what are you willing to do and what do you want help with? Would a bounty make it more interesting? Please elaborate more how we could make this possible. Would it take to much time from CW development? How does your ideal scenario look if you want to do it? Is there some abandoned code you can pick up or do you want to write it from scratch?

Quote:
CW spreadsheet: I have been thinking a lot about how much work it would be to make a Spreadsheet equivalent to CW, and the answer is too much if I have to do it alone. However, another solution I have been thinking about is to utilize the CW foundation and add a plug-in system where other contributors could add functionality (Think of a Cos subroutine or a statistics subroutine or a subroutine for making bar graphs or pie graphs). This is completely possible, but requires a lot of help from skilled people who knows mathematics, statistics and other-

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@desler
Quote:

Dropdown menus are absolutely no problem. It is only a matter of priorities. For example, in the coming version I have concentrated on implementing spellcheck instead of dropdown menus. I will see if I can move up dropdown menus for future versions :)

That cool :) At least something like "open/save/saveas/about/quite" will be enough for first :)

Can we help somehow ? I mean maybe bounty to motivate you more ? Even 500-1000euro should be some kind of motivation (why not).

Btw, tested very latest version (downloaded right now), and found that:

1. When you resize the main window , the scrollbar jumps from top to bottom, and from bottom to top (depends of how you resize the main window)

GUI:

1. No buble-helps when move cursor over the images. I think there is some fundamental moment, as you not use any kind of GUI (not mui, not reaction), and so you implement all from scratch as i can see, and that mean that feel of the programm will be a bit "not native".

2. When i press on "prefs" window, i can't move it at all. I.e. it spawns, but i can't resize it, or just tick the bar of settings window and move it (i think that its again limitation of custom gui, because let's say mui will handle all of this automatically, and you do not need to worry about every window).

3. In the same "prefs" window, buttons are not pressable. I.e. they works, but not change their look when you press on them (again custom gui problem imho).

4. Can resize the main working area by mouse only by pressing on the scrollbar button at bottom , but will be good to have ability to press on border of the scrollbar in any place, and move it.

That all what i notice right after few second of usage. Maybe it will worth of using mui for gui (its avail on all platforms) ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Joeled
I hope to have CW v. 1 ready this year. But as any hobby developer you are not going to get me to promise . Functionality will not be comparable to all the functions of OO or Word (fex. something like mail merging will most likely not be implemented at that time). However all the functionality that most people use most often will be fully supported.

In regards to CW spreadsheet, it would be necessity for me to know exactly what people would need before I started working on it. I would need a clear idea of which functions that people would like to use (Sin, Cos, square root and so on). Which graphic representations people would like to use (Pie chart, bar graphs and so on). Which features of the GUI people would expect as a minimum (target hunting, print out possibilities and so on).
I would like some more time to concentrate on CW before starting on a Spreadsheet program, but when the time was right, I could make programing templates that people could use. People would be getting the task of writing a Cos subroutine, Sin subroutine (simple, yea I know), but also few Anova tests, students t-test, regression formulas and so on. This way I would concentrate on the shell of the Spreadsheet, while more mathematically competent people, would provide the building blocks.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@desler
Maybe we should make a spreedsheet thread and ask all these questions? Maybe you or kas1e could create such a thing to get started abt what ppl want/need?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

desler wrote:
Hi everybody

Yay, Mr. Cinnamon

Quote:

How much work will I do:
The completion of any and all of these projects completely depends on whether people would want a solution like CW.

YES, YES, YES, YES forever

Quote:

People should understand that any undertaking with a project this size takes a lot of time and a lot of hard effort. Even though I could make a super-duper version of CW

Yeeeeeeesssssss

Quote:

and follow up with a Spreadsheet program it

Don't really care for such a program/addon
Just my 2c

Quote:

won't really matter if people are not interesting in using/trying them because they are basically just holding out for a full port of OpenOffice.

imho it's not really the way to go (waiting for a full-blown OO port that is (mho))
1) It won't happen "in time", read: it will take moons until we get to try even a beta, let alone use it (with print-support, which is mandatory for an Office suite, imho)
2) It will be slow whatever one does (i could be completely wrong here, but dependencies and speed from other platforms makes it kind of logical.
I'm saying that because i tried OO on a fast and on a super fast PC, a fast and super fast Linux machine and none gave the feedback an Amiga native program does all the time, it just feels sluggish all the way.
While i know that this might also be the case for a native Amiga OO, i still tend towards Cinnamon Writer

Quote:

Not only me, but all developers needs some encouragement to continue their projects. This is not always the same as donations, but more importantly positive critique, good suggestions for future features or just a short reminder once in a while that a person is using the said software

I *love* Cinnamon writer, but there is one thing that keeps holding me back from bug reports or even feedback.
I can't seem to find your eMail address and threads on your CW sub-forum tends to die very fast.

OK, this is a little OT now, but the *ONLY* thing that keeps me from using it daily right now is the buggy/missing Copy and Paste functionality.
The in-built C&P does not work all the time (sometimes it quits CW completely which is a PITA because you'll lose everything) *and* it won't work with Clipboards made from WB.

If i'd be able to C&P whole texts from Notepad/AmigaWriter and use them with CW i'd use it far more often.

The error message i get btw is:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
what(): vector::_M_range_check

It happens sometimes with PASTE, sometimes with COPY, but mostly when trying to CUT

Thanks a lot and PLEASE keep on developing CW, it's the way to go (<- imho)

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@desler

While there's absolutly nothing wrong with developing own projects, I would nevertheless suggest looking here:

http://www.pinc-software.de/en_frames.html

ignition is already a rather mature and - at least to my opinion - very streamlined spreadsheet software. It is open source. While the 68k version works nicely on OS4.1, a native PPC variant would be nice, of course. Due to it's open sourced structure you might even be able to "integrate" it into some "Desler Office Package"...

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
DOP or Doffice? What do you say desler?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

desler wrote:
@Kas1e
Dropdown menus are absolutely no problem. It is only a matter of priorities....

What about national special charakters? Its absolutely essential for many of us

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@desler

I second cha05e90, no need to reinvent the wheel. And I'd rather say, better to focus on CW and make it a good WP.

I also share the opinion of Kas1e: please move towards the AmigaOS GUI-Toolkits and style guides, either using MUI or ReAction.
Even if it might seem outdated and "ancient", it's still better to have a consistent look and feel. Who knows the Style guides might get updated in future..

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Everyone,

I would like to put forth and some aren't going to be too crazy about this:

1. Make a list of people that should get a Sam with most current AOS4.x update. Put it in the order that the people of interest will get one.

2. Then, forget about Amiga bounties.

3. Currently 900 Euro is just a few dollars below $1,200 Canadian, that's enough right?

4. $1,200 / 25 people is $48 Canadian. A movie in the theatre is $12 and a 3D movie is about $14. 25 Megabit internet is close to $60. 7 Big Macs, large French fries and pops are $48. It's not too much.

5. If 25 people are able to part with $50 a month, consider it a bill, we could get one new programmer, or artist of some type set up to compute per month.

6. Here's the key. Forget the Amiga bounties make a bill payment directly to AmigaKit. Skip the delay of going to one party, then the other, as well as the extra cost involved. What do you all think?

Unusual circumstances call for unusual methods.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@all
Lets concentrate on Wordprocessor first... However if we (all) agree CW is a good starting point, we have to have it ready in one years time. This means, we do need more programming power... Mr. Desler already called for help:
Cinnamon Projects.
Maybe we could motivate more skilled programmers with additional bounties. Maybe another good idea would be to get a distributor (e.g. AmigaFuture/APC+TCP) on board as well.

@desler
Sorry, totally forgot about CW. Guess this would be a good starting point. I guess I have to download, try and suggest. Downloaded it ages ago...

Maybe a feature request on Amiga(noid) websites might be a good idea. This is what I would expect from a Wordprocessor:

- left, center, block justify
- word import
- copy/paste
- printing support (page format etc...)
- image text runaround
- different fonts/underline etc...
- tables (compatible with MS tables)
- database/CSV adress merge (Serienbriefe)
- autodate
- autopagenumbering
- Textfields
- table of contents generation
- Formular Editor (Bruchrechnen f. meine Klassenarbeiten
- simple Vectoreditor or vectordrawing import... (line, arrows, circles...)

So basically it should be something like Finalwriter plus Formular Editor, advanced tables and Wordimport.

regards Gero

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Okay, well, it's a bit more than that. I think we'll need 4 to 6 more people.

What is this?
512 MB NAND Flash (optional)
And how much more does it cost? Would it enhance usage? Also, I don't see a video card or case listed in the description, which may be another ~$200. Let's make this a "near deluxe, ready to use out of the box" system. The first price I quoted would be enough for a full 2 gigabytes of RAM.

"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist
What you talking about ? You use wrong thread.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Sad to say it, but I think it would feel pretty good if we could snail along with one new user a month, guaranteed.

I certainly would feel like I was accomplishing something.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi kas1e,

I'm not using the wrong thread. The topic has been slightly focused on Cinnamon Writer at the moment, that's all.

It started out differently. Look at the first post.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Ok lets say we continue with CW and let desler finish it. What abt porting one of these spreadsheet? Gnumeric
EditGrid
Ignition

Then we have wordprocessor(CW) and spreadsheet(Gnumeric). If we want a native spreedsheet maybe desler and others could do it later.

@Kas1e
Is it possible to port Gnumeric or Ignition?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
With the extra 6 people that's $1,550, which would be the equivalent of $1,550/35 = 44 people spending $35 as a shareware purchase.

Seems very tiny, but compare to how many are in the community AND how many actually buy anything, it's maybe not too bad?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joeled
Quote:

Is it possible to port Gnumeric or Ignition?

I do not know, but if i remember right, someone on morphos port ignition already in some form (but i can be wrong). As for Gnumeric i think its will be the same hard as Gimp or Abiword.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
omeone on morphos port ignition already in some form (but i can be wrong)

Shouldn't be that hard for an experienced Amiga developer. It uses a basic but polished standard gadtools GUI, which should work with all flavours of Amiga-oid OS'. The (first) hard work is to transfer the sources to GCC (it's developed with SAS/C). Even ideas about using a OpenGL subset to render the spreadsheet graphics are mentioned (so Mini- or TiniGL could do the job). A basic plugin service for reading of Excel, Turbocalc etc. files is present...(but not finished).

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »