Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 »
Gallium (OpenGL) being ported to OS4 now!
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thomas Frieden gave me permission to post what he said in an email:

Quote:
it somewhat astonishes me that one of the announcements of AmiWest, namely the fact that OpenGL (in the form of Mesa/Gallium) is currently already in the planning phase and will be the next big field of work for the graphics team was missed by everyone.

Quote:
To recap what we announced at AmiWest: The current field of work is two-fold (for the core team). Kernel work will include an overhaul of the scheduler (which will include things like scheduling policies on a task by task basis, and SMP). The graphics work will be Mesa/Gallium. The latter will first be ported and put on top of the current system, and in an additional step, will replace the current system (and provide wrapper functionality for the current graphics system).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Gallium (OpenGL) being ported to OS4 now!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Cool

Amiga600/Vampire2/PrismaMegaMix​/32GB CF Card/2x Rys Mk2/A604n/IndivisionECS/Gotek
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH
There was a lot of important news and road map info. that seems to have been completely missed.

I plan to rectify the situation in the next couple of days with a show report.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

As i understand from that quotes, its all only in plans. And its to early to say "being ported". That mean 1 or 2 years from now imho. But good to know, that Thomas say that its high-priority for now. At last :) Better later than never :)

The only think which scare me a bitl, is that "gallium/mesa will first be ported and put on top of the current system". I.e. again that "old gfx-system" which can slowdown all the stuff. But as i know Hans involved in all that work, so we have big chances that all will be fine. At least we will have shaders, and full-modern opengl, what mean real big cool games and apps. If speed will be good too, then it will be uber-good.

Fingers crossed !

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
Thomas Frieden gave me permission to post what he said in an email:

Quote:
it somewhat astonishes me that one of the announcements of AmiWest, namely the fact that OpenGL (in the form of Mesa/Gallium) is currently already in the planning phase and will be the next big field of work for the graphics team was missed by everyone.

so the old project "nova" has been dropped in favour of gallium3d?
i hope that not too much work already had been invested into nova...

regards...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

This wherry good news. I really hope that old stuff can be put in trashcan soon.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
A great news i can say, hopefully we can play with it soon

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hyperion
it somewhat astonishes me that when announcements are made at shows like Amiwest no one in Hyperion (that would be Ben, right?) takes the time to summarize what was said (by Hyperion) and post it on the Hyperion website.

I'm quite certain that I can't be the only person who is interested but hasn't got the (money to attend) or time to sit and look at low quality streams trying to catch every word that is said.

@ChrisH
Ontopic.
Sounds great and a development in this field is needed. When was the release date planned to be?

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Good news :)

Go to top
Anonymous
@Kicko

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium3D

Gallium3D provides a unified API exposing standard hardware functions, such as shader units found on modern hardware. Thus, 3D APIs such as OpenGL 1.x/2.x, OpenGL 3.x, OpenVG, GPGPU infrastructure or even Direct3D (as found in the Wine compatibility layer) will need only a single front-end, called a state tracker, targeting the Gallium3D API. By contrast, Mesa 3D requires a different back-end for each hardware platform and several other APIs need translation to OpenGL at the expense of added overhead.[7][8][9]
Under Gallium3D, Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) kernel drivers will manage the memory and Direct Rendering Interface (DRI) drivers (now moving to DRI2) will be more GPU processing oriented. This will resolve memory management problems whose solutions are considered infeasible under Mesa

As of 21 September 2010, There are two Gallium3D drivers for ATI hardware known as r300g and r600g for R100-R500 and R600-Evergreen GPUs respectively. Initial support for the Evergreen GPUs was added to the r600g driver on 2010-09-10.[20]
On 21 September 2010, major commits were made to the code to support Direct3D 10 and 11.[21] In time, this might offer the ability to use recent Direct3D implementations on GNU/Linux systems.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yep, gallium sounds very nice and interesting. If we will have ability to use not only latest opengl, but also latest directx , then it will be something :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

then it will be ... awesome ?

Well finger crossed ...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e Quote:
As i understand from that quotes, its all only in plans. And its to early to say "being ported".

No. "plans" means they expect to work on it in the future. "porting now" means they are actively working on it - which they are! Yes, they are at the design/exploration phase (*), but that is part of the coding process too.

(* = synonymous with "planning phase", but thats a different than "planning to do something". 'Aint the English language wonderful!)

Quote:
That mean 1 or 2 years from now imho.

How on earth do you work that out? AROS got a port of Gallium by someone working in their spare time! So I think it should be possible for a team (possibly even with someone working on it full-time?) to get something usable relatively quick. (Although admittedly rigorous backwards compatibility testing for a public release will add delays that AROS may not have to deal with.)

@MichaelMerkel?Quote:
so the old project "nova" has been dropped in favour of gallium3d?

Ummm, I thought it was known that Nova had been dropped for some time? AFAIR, they eventually decided against reinventing the wheel.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH
Good news, we will have 3D programs, etc., in our system.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

great news! we need this bad

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Very good news!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Great news! :)

On an unrelated (well...not much) note, let's also hope we get an update with USB 2.0 support soon.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e
Hans mentioned he was looking at it months ago, if you combine his expertise on graphic drivers with the work already done on Aros (which he can look at and learn from) you get only one thing: advanced 3D coming to AmigaOS soon

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ssolie
Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@ChrisH
There was a lot of important news and road map info. that seems to have been completely missed.

I plan to rectify the situation in the next couple of days with a show report.

Great! One advice: make a "news item" of it not just a forum thread!

There are many at AW that only come to see the news and avoid the forums in order not to get involved in another endless feud.
If you make just a report on the forum, these people will miss the news.

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Major awesomeness

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 »