Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 86

geennaam, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

[solved] context menu settings
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
hi.

reading the contextmenus commodity documentation it says that you can define special context menus inside a tooltype of a program.
unfortunately this does not seem to work. anyone tried? missing feature or a bug?

also what about the prefs program for it? the docs tell:
"The Prefs program is being worked on."
is this still true?

thanks and
byebye...

edit: changed to solved

Edited by MichaelMerkel on 2007/1/3 23:44:16
Go to top
Re: context menu settings
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
MichaelMerkel wrote:
reading the contextmenus commodity documentation it says that you can define special context menus inside a tooltype of a program.
unfortunately this does not seem to work. anyone tried? missing feature or a bug?
That's probably an outdated piece of information you found there. The way (that I know of, at least) to customize the ContextMenus menus is to edit ENVARC:ContextMenus.cfg -- the format should be more or less be obvious by studying the existing entries. But do save a backup, just in case.

Quote:
also what about the prefs program for it? the docs tell:
"The Prefs program is being worked on."
is this still true?
Well, at least it is true that such a program has not been finished and/or released. Whether one is being worked on presently, I don't know.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

nbache wrote:
Quote:
MichaelMerkel wrote:
That's probably an outdated piece of information you found there. The way (that I know of, at least) to customize the ContextMenus menus is to edit ENVARC:ContextMenus.cfg -- the format should be more or less be obvious by studying the existing entries. But do save a backup, just in case.

the config file is ok. this is what the documentation is abount. have a look in the contrib drawer of the os4 cd: documentation/commodities/contextmenus.doc

there the format is described and also the part with the tooltypes mentioned to be able to do program specific context menus.

byebye...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
MichaelMerkel wrote:
Quote:
the config file is ok. this is what the documentation is abount. have a look in the contrib drawer of the os4 cd: documentation/commodities/contextmenus.doc
Yep, you are right. I had forgotten about that feature and misunderstood your post. Sorry.

Quote:
there the format is described and also the part with the tooltypes mentioned to be able to do program specific context menus.
Unfortunately the icon for that doc file, which is referred to in the doc as having an example tooltype in it, has not been included on the final CD for some reason. I found an earlier version, and this is the tooltype it had in it:

POWERMENU=TT menu,CLI,requestchoice >nil: "ContextMenus specific menu" "Hey you clicked my tooltype menu !?" "That's right"

And that works as expected here.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@nbache

so it seems the POWERMENU command is the culprit. the docs state CONTEXTMENU iirc.

many thanks!

byebye...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MichaelMerkel
Ah, well spotted!

PowerMenus was a very early name for the thing. Apparently it has not been sufficiently eradicated.

There's also the PM part of some other keywords, they are also traces of ancient history.

I'll file an enhancement report about it, to make it recognize both, and to revise the documentation.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@nbache

... and to force the developers to do a prefs gui

many thanks and
byebye...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MichaelMerkel
Quote:
... and to force the developers to do a prefs gui

I doubt I would be able to do that.

But such a program is something "anybody" could make. You know the file format, you know the GUI requirements, there is a whole drawer full of other Prefs programs to get hints from ... what's stopping you?

Or we could make a contest: Who will be the first to make a nice and conformant ContextMenus prefs program and donate it to AmigaOS as a small gift in appreciation for OS4 final?

I'm sure it would be appreciated; it would leave a core developer free for more demanding tasks.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

> ... and to force the developers to do a prefs gui

Give us time/money instead ! :-/
Yes, there is a prefs program which is at early stages (not alpha yet).

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top

Register To Post