Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: New windows bar docky, from OpenAmiga
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@PEB

OK, I think I fixed at least the bug occuring on your machine (hope this is the same as Orgin has...)

@PEB and Orgin
Could you please try this new version ?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@centaurz

http://orgin.biz/~orgin/images/winbar_50.8.png

Works much better now. Thanks!

For the future:

There seems to be some internal max width? Is it difficult to get it to fill the whole dock width?

Could you add a column setting that respects the line settings and just adds columns without any limitation? (instead of max 16 per line).

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@centaurz

Btw, next up, system tray? ;)

Edit: It's a pity that the docky system has two major flaws, 1. it's the dockies that dictate the dock size and not the other way around. 2. You can't freely position dockies inside a docky. Without these major flaws it would have been easier to set up a nice looking dock with your winbar docky to the left, a few program start icons and then add stuff like a clock, cpu meter etc to the right all using the same height and the clock and cpu meter would stay fixed at the far right without moving about when the winbar docky changed width.

Perhaps it would be possible to create container (like Ilayout) dockies where you can define if they should align their contents in any particular direction. And add new docky methods like DO_SCALEOTOHEIGHT that an individual docky receives a call to and scales itself to teh requested height.

[[winbar docky  ][Space filler docky][Program start icons][CPU meter][Clock]]

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@centaurz

Works perfectly now.
Thanks for the quick fix!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

Quote:

Edit: It's a pity that the docky system has two major flaws, 1. it's the dockies that dictate the dock size and not the other way around. 2. You can't freely position dockies inside a docky. Without these major flaws it would have been easier to set up a nice looking dock with your winbar docky to the left, a few program start icons and then add stuff like a clock, cpu meter etc to the right all using the same height and the clock and cpu meter would stay fixed at the far right without moving about when the winbar docky changed width.

I get around that problem by putting the window bar docky in its own dock---using a borderless, transparent dock so that it doesn't really look like a separate dock.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@PEB

That's not at all what I was talking about.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin and PEB
Okay, great, going directly to OS4depot then .

Quote:

There seems to be some internal max width? Is it difficult to get it to fill the whole dock width?

Could you add a column setting that respects the line settings and just adds columns without any limitation? (instead of max 16 per line).

Yes, there is a limit to the docky width which is way lower than the screen width (something like 75%). And the worst is that if you try to set the width above this limit, you don't even get an error from AmiDock, the request is just ignored.

Quote:

2. You can't freely position dockies inside a docky. Without these major flaws it would have been easier to set up a nice looking dock with your winbar docky to the left, a few program start icons and then add stuff like a clock, cpu meter etc to the right all using the same height and the clock and cpu meter would stay fixed at the far right without moving about when the winbar docky changed width.

For this, you can use a dock snapped to the bottom right corner, it will grow to the left.

Quote:

1. it's the dockies that dictate the dock size and not the other way around.

[...]

Perhaps it would be possible to create container (like Ilayout) dockies where you can define if they should align their contents in any particular direction. And add new docky methods like DO_SCALEOTOHEIGHT that an individual docky receives a call to and scales itself to teh requested height.

Actually, dockies can adapt themselves to the dock "thickness" (that is, the width of a vertical dock and the height of an horizontal one), smartbutton.docky and winbar.docky use this feature. As for the other dimension, since it's not fixed you can't do a layout like with ReAction or MUI gadgets, and IMHO, dockies are not meant to be as complex as such gadgets.

Quote:

Btw, next up, system tray? ;)

Come on, AmiDock is a kind of system tray for OS4 .

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@centaurz

"Yes, there is a limit to the docky width which is way lower than the screen width (something like 75%). And the worst is that if you try to set the width above this limit, you don't even get an error from AmiDock, the request is just ignored."

Okey, sounds like number 3 then :/

"For this, you can use a dock snapped to the bottom right corner, it will grow to the left."

Using more than one dock area will make you end up with different heights , widths and overlapping. Not a good solution. A good dock system would enable you to fit everything in my example inside a single dock, where the user dictates the height, not the dockies.

"smartbutton.docky and winbar.docky use this feature."

How do you activate that? Currently it forces a height to the dock.

"As for the other dimension, since it's not fixed you can't do a layout like with ReAction or MUI gadgets, and IMHO, dockies are not meant to be as complex as such gadgets."

You don't need it to be as complex as a full blow layout engine. Just some basic tools like grouping and alignment. It's a bit funny when other systems provide way more features in their implementations, but Amiga solutions, which were once beyond everyone else, provides solutions that are awkward, backwards and are the antithesis of elegant...

"Come on, AmiDock is a kind of system tray for OS4"

No not at all, not even close.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

Quote:

Using more than one dock area will make you end up with different heights , widths and overlapping. Not a good solution. A good dock system would enable you to fit everything in my example inside a single dock, where the user dictates the height, not the dockies.

I was talking about a single dock with the winbar to the left, whatever icons you need in the middle, and the application dockies to the right, works quite well here.

Quote:

"smartbutton.docky and winbar.docky use this feature."

How do you activate that? Currently it forces a height to the dock.

It's always activated, but since AmiDock also respects the minimum width asked by the docky, you can only see the effect if there is an object larger than the docky in the dock, in this case the docky will use all the width available (anyway, the docky contains fixed size elements so you can't provide it whatever size you want and expect to have a readable and usable tool).

Quote:

No not at all, not even close.

Hmmm, I think you exagerate a bit on this point. Application.library provides a way to add automatically an icon or even a docky into the main dock, this terribly looks like what is called a "system tray" on other systems... You may not like the implementation, or the features, and few programs may make use of it (but YAM, AmiARC, Wet and so on do), but it has the very same function.

That said, quite a number of things could be improved in AmiDock, and I hope that this will be the case when things of higher priority are complete.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@centaurz

Btw, I just noticed. Sometimes it doesn't pick up the application icon. Starting Ibrowse some times ends up with the Ibrowse icon, sometimes not. Sometimes it doesn't pick it up for the main ibrowse window, but does for the quit requester.

Some kind of timing issue?

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

Yes, some nasty windows don't set their UserPort immediately after opening (now fixed).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@centaurz

WinBar.docky (the latest version) doesn't use its saved settings. There's always some default settings after reboot. I tried to remove old settings files but it didn't help. Looking the settings files with a text editor they look ok. Snoopy doesn't tell anything useful. Btw. Why "Ok" & "Apply" instead of "Save" & "Use" ?

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)