Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
171 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 171

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)
Re: Workbench enhancement project
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Interesting thread, indeed.

I'm quite sure that Rogue, Enthilza, and the rest of OS4 team, can surprise us at every OS4 release.

Enhancing the OS4 experience is not an easy task but, who knows, maybe there is space to improve some functionality and add new features.

P.S.
I don't know all the OS4 developers name. I mention Rogue and Enthilza as a representative. (i know all OS4 developers are a great team, to :)

Edited by AmigaBlitter on 2008/7/9 11:21:34
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@AmigaBlitter

Quote:

Enhancing the OS4 experience is not an easy task but, who knows, maybe there is space to improve some functionality and add new features.

You'll be pleased to know there's some pretty cool stuff on the horizon then :)

Simon

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

i still [use] and prefer Turboprint as AmigaOS high-quality
print task !

As a new Linux version [V2] is just relased -> [only german text]
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Mit-Tu ... -drucken--/meldung/110626

So it my become a new high optimized AmigaOS version too ..

The quality is still superior, even in compare to windoows !

For the most user that only need text printing or low/mid-quality
color/photo printing free drivers a good solution ..
but for user that need high-quality prints, TP V2 match a new
top-line of quality on the Linux world, and so on Amiga too.

[dont like C.U.P.S. amd think his time running out, so i dont need to
jump on a death horse ..]

R-TEAM

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@whose

This is slightly of-topic ... sorry about it.

I'm with you if you mean that amiga should stay like amiga.

This new shared object thing is surely advantage to system, but naming is not exactly what I call amiga style. Historically there is somename.device , somename.library and so on. Easy on many ways. It is human readable form, library is maybe long suffix but it says it friendly way. If you look drawer contents in alpabetic order, it is easy to find what you look for.

With shared objects you have names like libsomename.so. Not very handy nor amigish way to say it, really ? And scan drawer, all files start lib ...eye must jump over three first character and start to reconice actual name after lib. Not very easy, if you have many lib#?.so files in drawer.

I should prefer somename.shared.object or someame.shared.library, even if naming scheme is longer. Anyway it is easier to read, it says everything needed in human readible form and it is amiga style.

Uuuuh, this made me feel better, I got high blood pressure, when I saw this libxx.so thingie...

Same applies to kmod files, why need to copy naming from unix/linux ?

Many cases in POSIX system commans and sufixxes, naming behaviour in general is minimal (ls , rm etc.) because of these old nasty paper cards with holes, when every saved bit meant less fragile paper storage for program/data. But this was sixties, we don't need to respect or copy this style, really. Amiga is originated to eighties with magnetic media, not sixties with paper media

I can't underline too much datatypes. it save a lot on years, when OS hasn't any official support for new types of pictures, sounds and so on. So it is good idea to develop it further for better stream handling etc. Datatypes are overall one of the best ideas generally in computer world.

Someone mentioned cups ... fine for me as long as it respects amiga file naming style and it's parts are stored in workbench to places, where normal brains can find them

At least part of cups drivers are raster driver and they were worse quality than others, at least before. It can be different today. Should be intresting to know, how well they perform with photo quality printing. I don't know current state of cups, since I don't use linux for desktop. It stays, where it's stenght lies, servers...

Amiga file sharing Envoy is good. Don't know, how it works with OS4 though. Something similar should be nice os4 native. Envoy has users and groups allso.

I think, that windows ACL type permissions are more suitable to small business(users,groups), where you can give permissions relativelly freely in user level. Pretty handy in small companies, where one person can have three different chairs and same time tight security is needed. Little 10-15 biochemical or medial companies like example. Unix users,group,owner is more or less useless in these cases and it suits better in corporates, where ACL can lead to mess.

http://www.softhut.com/envoy.html

Samba is not bad for amiga-linux-window file sharing. Microsoft was forced to publish smb protocol (or parts of it) so it makes differene to samba eventually.

This was from point of view of user.

edit1: added link and mentioned kmod
edit2: some mumbo-jumbo about permissions

Edited by Mlehto on 2008/7/9 2:40:59
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rigo

:)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mlehto

Quote:

Unix users,group,owner is more or less useless in these cases and it suits better in corporates,

Imho it suits everywhere. You dno't need multiple groups for users?
Use one. System resources can be shared in an easier manner with groups.
Too bad it is not a standard in AOS4.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

let's say little company, where is CEO, management, middle management, two-three different groups of workers and maybe economy group.

Then we have various type of different data for every group. One worker is in two-three different group and same to all group members.

I find it very difficult or impossible to apply all permissions with unix like users/groups/owner permissions, at least when client want to make over complicated permission model.

If you have larger company, mostly automatically it leads easier permissions (enought ppl to every post in company) and unix permissions manages thing just fine, is easier and makes impossible to mess whole permissions to hell.

Maybe it is my brains, but none of my unix-expert friend didn't manage do it either :)

ACL leads "pain in the ass" in larger scale, but that case it is easier to use groups rather than users. ACL is just more flexible, yet without worries you can mess whole permission model with it.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
Are there any news of that rumoured new filesystem for OS4 ? Or was it completely false rumour ?

Quote:
I feel a little bit embarrassed. We don't need a new FS because SFS has everything. It's fast, journaling and multiuser. How big task it would be to add multiuser into the OS ? (I'm curious only.) Not too big or very big ?

And now we have a new JXFS in OS4.1.

Quote:
The file systems must not be involved, they have to do way too much already which should be in dos.library instead of having to duplicate it in each file system, for example notifications had to supported by the file systems themself. At least half of the code of most AmigaOS file systems has nothing to do with the file system but are just support functions which are the same in all file systems and should be in dos.library instead.

Now there's universal notification in OS4.1. So this (notification) part is handled already.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@All

I'd like to renew the invitation for you all to participate in OpenAmiga.

Point your browsers at: http://openamiga.org

All input is welcome, and you don't have to be a developer.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

>fitting with the overall goal of the project (being an open source source for amigaOS4).

Count me out then, as we run OS3.9 here.

This site is supposed to be "next generation, emulation, classic" but the bias against OS3.x, MorphOS and to a lesser extent AROS is very clear to see. I could give examples, but I think everyone knows what I am talking about.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Minuous

Okey I'll bite.

OS3.x already has things like amikit. Just because this site is about "next generation, emulation, classic" it doesn't mean that os4 focused projects can't be mentioned. If we couldn't then that would mean that we'd have to ban everything that isn't meant for all three of them (such as amikit). I don't think that would be a very good idea. This site caters for for "next generation, emulation, classic" both together and individually.

That we don't cater for Morphos and AROS should have been very clear by now. Just read the SOI . That doesn't mean that we 'hate' those platforms (people who want to keep that old 'war' running will have to go elsewhere, we don't do that here), it just means that we don't have them in our focus and that we don't promote them as such, just as we don't focus and promote a lot of other platforms.

If you want to continue the Amigans focus discussion the I suggest you do it either by PM, in the IRC channel or in the website feedback forum but not in this thread.

(Amikit is a wonderfull package btw, everyone should try it)

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Edit: Please continue this discussion elsewhere. The contents of this message has been messaged to you for easy copying to another therad/fora.

Edited by orgin on 2008/8/3 14:43:14
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Edit: This message is not relevant to this thread. The message has be sent in PM to you for easy copying to another more relevant thread/fora.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@orgin

So where's all the devs that said that we should wait until 4.1 was released? ;)

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

I'm a developer :)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

If you want I could submit diskimage.device as well as some of my datatypes as OpenAmiga projects (.wav, .tga, .ico, ...)?

I assume I should use "submit project" on openamiga.org? Can I then assign the projects to myself or how does this work?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@salass00

You submit the project as you suggest. And then when it's moved to "open" status by an admin or moderator you PM one of them saying that you would like to be assigned to it. You get assigned and you have access to it+svn.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

Done. The source codes are on the Open Amiga SVN now .

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@salass00

Yeah saw that :) Nice!

Would have to write up some documentation for a release to Hyperion. But let's talk about such issues on OpenAmiga.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)