Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
59 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 58

afxgroup, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
OWB v3.25 very quick
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
What the hell?!? OWB now starts almost instantly! Before it used to take like 10-20 seconds, which I thought was due to the run-time linking of SObjs? But the executable seems almost the same size, so I'm not sure what has changed. Would be very interested to know...

Anyway, OWB v3.25 obviously works for me. Now I will have to stress-test it by opening lots of tabs, and then closing some while others are still loading! If it proves to be stable, I am definitely making a donation. (Assuming I don't forget, which will hopefully be difficult since OWB starts so fast now.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: OWB v3.25 very quick
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

For me, all the slowing downs of OWB on running stage, was because of AISS , which was placed on FFS partition (which are very slow for 3 thousands of AISS icons, and when OWB (or any aiss related) programm starts , then it take 10-20 seconds).

When i move it on SFS, and change assigns on new place: everything aiss-related starts in half of second.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Here seems (finally) quite stable, no crash since then and it feels a little faster too, sadly RMB on search doesn't work anymore but almost now bug 443 (http://bugs.os4depot.net/?function=viewissue&issueid=443) is solved ...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Please refresh my memory...

Is it safe to use SFS on the system partition?

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@KimmoK

My boot partition is SFS and no problems here...

Will try it when I get home, but does iGoogle work with this version of OWB? In 3.23 it just doesn't load, the progress bar stays at 0 / 0 kb... It could just be my setu, I haven't really investigated it much so didn't raise it as a bug.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ ChrisH

AmiUpdate loaded up 3.25 with no problems..it runs a bit peppier but I don't notice the big speed difference really on my Samflex

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@328gts

Me neither, it feels about the same. Nice update though!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
It seems to be a little bit faster than 3.23 but I have problems with www.meinvz.net. The site loads and OWB seems to hang and I can't stop the loading. Only a reset helps. Anybody else?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@gurus2000

No problem here ...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@KimmoK
Yes, SFS is fine for the boot partition, at least SFS\00 is. Not sure about SFS\02 (which supports files >4GB).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@KimmoK
Yes, SFS is fine for the boot partition, at least SFS\00 is. Not sure about SFS\02 (which supports files >4GB).

I have SFS/02 on my boot partition working great as of Update 1

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Feels the same here.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hmmm... 3.25 is still not loading Google for me... I can press stop to abort the transfer and then type in a new address, and Google searching works from the built-in search gadget, but Google's web address just fails to load. Anyone else seen this?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Scratch that, reinstalling from scratch instead of updating fixed it... Guess it was a cookies database issue or something

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@All

Okay, am I the only one who doesn't like the way OWB replaces the address bar with the progress bar whenever a page is loading? I know it's only a small thing, but in every other browser if I decide I want to move to a new page, I can type in the address before the page is finished loading and skip to the new address instead. In OWB I have to press Stop first, and it's a teensy bit annoying I have to say... Especially when some sites never finish loading, such as some modules on iGoogle which periodically refresh themselves...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Daedalus
It's not ideal - I'd prefer the bar to be shown BEHIND the URL being loaded. That should be possible if it wasn't editable (which I personally don't care about), or maybe even if it was editable (if suitable hooks are available).

BTW, I seem to remember hiding of the URL bar during loading just happened to stop some bug or other. Dunno if that was the intention or not!

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
... which I thought was due to the run-time linking of SObjs.

Yes, the slow load times of shared objects was due to the runtime linking which is performed before the binary starts to execute. The elf.library has since been optimized which you can see with Amiga Python and Blender for example. They both use the new shared objects feature of AmigaOS.

As for OWB, it has been statically linked for some time so it isn't likely to be a factor. Maybe if you finally donate you'll get your questions answered.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Thread

As I cannot post on bugs.os4depot.net since I have fogotten my login/password (and there isn't any link to recover it ), I'll submit this bug with OWB 3.25:

When trying to post a news on the French AmigaOS 4.x dedicated site Amiga-NG (link : http://www.amiga-ng.org/submit.php ) nothing happens when clicking on the "Soumettre" (Submit) button, then OWB stops working correctly, I have to close the tab and use another tab.

Even is there is a warning message about Safari not being compatible, all worked flawlessly until 3.25 release.

Anyway, it's still an excellent release, thanks Joerg

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Slow start of all browsers on all platforms depends on how large your cookie database is, I think.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
kas1e wrote:
For me, all the slowing downs of OWB on running stage, was because of AISS , which was placed on FFS partition (which are very slow for 3 thousands of AISS icons, and when OWB (or any aiss related) programm starts , then it take 10-20 seconds).

When i move it on SFS, and change assigns on new place: everything aiss-related starts in half of second.

I pointed out the problem with placing thousands of files in a single directory in the forums a long time ago. I lobied to change AISS to use subdirectories for related images and dramatically speed up the load time. Nobody seemed to agree so the problem will only get worse as more images are added. Granted, switching to an SFS partiton really speeds up the load process but if the directory gets large enough loading may slow down in SFS too. There is a reason why filing systems (computer or paper) have directory structures instead of placing all the files in one drawer. It's ineffecient and confusing. If you really want to speed up image loading try moving the images that OWB uses into an OWB directory and HEX edit OWB to look in that directory instead of TBIMAGES. I've done that for several programs and they load instantly.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »