Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: About window on OWB
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TMTisFree

Native English speaker here: "information" is both singular and plural, "s" is added only for the possessive "information's".

Regards,
- JCC

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TMTisFree

I'm afraid your dictionary is wrong. "Information" is never used in English with an "s".

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

It is right. The 'fpl' acronym which means 'f?minin pluriel' is strangely placed before the French translation and after the '~' sign that represents the English 'information'. I just mixed the 'fpl' with the English word although it seems to refer to the French word. So it is 'information' without 's' in English. On the other hand I do not find an explanation (semantic, historic, ...) that explicitly prohibits the plural of 'information' in English. I am interested having one, do you (or someone has) have one?

Bye,
TMTisFree

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@samo79

I think the dark blue for the links looks nicer, the actual blue is to bright and harder to read as the dark one.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@gurus2000

Ok, now links are darker

@spotUP

Thanks, i'm happy that you like

@All

I found an agreement solution, information/informations now become "info..."

P.S.
Do you know where is J?rg ?

Edited by samo79 on 2009/3/19 4:11:00
Edited by samo79 on 2009/3/19 4:11:36
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TMTisFree

Quote:
On the other hand I do not find an explanation (semantic, historic, ...) that explicitly prohibits the plural of 'information' in English. I am interested having one, do you (or someone has) have one?

there is no plural of information, because information is not a countable noun, just like money for instance, you can't say "I have moneys".

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@COBRA

Quote:

COBRA wrote:
@TMTisFree

Quote:
On the other hand I do not find an explanation (semantic, historic, ...) that explicitly prohibits the plural of 'information' in English. I am interested having one, do you (or someone has) have one?

there is no plural of information, because information is not a countable noun, just like money for instance, you can't say "I have moneys".
In English.
In French I can say 'J'ai des informations, des donn?es.' = 'I have some information, data'. But I have to say 'J'ai de la monnaie' = 'I have money' like in English. It is strange because information, data and money are quantifiable terms.
'News' is also paradoxical because while countable, you can have only 1 or many, news is always plural. Still, always good to learn. Thanks!

Bye,
TMTisFree

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TMTisFree

News is also not a countable noun. A "news item" is countable, and you can say "news items" which is the plural of it, but news on its own is not countable.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Ok guys, I rewrote some part of my HTML about page, here the main modifications:

1 - Now I use CSS and Javascript "inline" in order to fit in OWB archive (Joerg need that) so now we have all HTML/CSS/Javascript code in the same HTML page.

2 - Page is now 100% XHTML Strict

Now I need your help as I can't try OWB myself.

1 - Check if the links on the "JoJo" menu are centered to the table

2 - Try to select text (I disable selection via Javascript but I don't know if OWB support it)

3 - Try to use it with different resolution (min. 800*600) and tell me if "JoJo" menu are correct centered to the screen without create or move the scrollobar

Any other problem or suggest are welcome

Link:

http://www.qimmagine.it/altro/about.html

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@samo79

Quote:

samo79 wrote:

1 - Check if the links on the "JoJo" menu are centered to the table

Yes, the links in the left cell are centered within that cell. Not centered on the screen (the full About window), but I guess this is as you intended.

Quote:

2 - Try to select text (I disable selection via Javascript but I don't know if OWB support it)

Confirmed - selections cannot be made.

Quote:

3 - Try to use it with different resolution (min. 800*600) and tell me if "JoJo" menu are correct centered to the screen without create or move the scrollobar

I am using OWB with a 1418?1046 window centered on my 1600?1200 WB screen. The About window seems to be nicely balanced around its center, horizontally. Vertically, it is almost at the top of the OWB window, occupying less than half its height, or a bit more than half after clicking "More info".

Quote:

It looks really nice mostly. But I would suggest you to left-align the list of "- for" items in the bottom right corner (in the drop-down section). It looks neater if all the "-" are aligned over each other. IMO, of course. You can still have the left side centered if you prefer. You may have to experiment a bit to find the best x-coordinate to line up the dashes against for the two lists to feel like they are of equal "weight".

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nbache

Ok I create 2 different classes for the <td>, one for the links and another for the info, info are now centered, hope that this is what you want

Just for fun I try to validate my page for mobile devices, I get a decent 69/100, not too bad

http://www.qimmagine.it/altro/about.html

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@samo79

Quote:
1 - Now I use CSS and Javascript "inline" in order to fit in OWB archive (Joerg need that) so now we have all HTML/CSS/Javascript code in the same HTML page.
Everything has to be inline, incl. all images (img/bg_orange.png, img/logo.png, img/paypal.png). You have to use data: URLs for them.

Quote:
Why? Since it doesn't use anything special it works with the ancient OWB Blastoise as well and you can even test it with the AmigaOS 3.9/m68k port of OWB on UAE. Or use any other WebKit based browser (Safari, Chrome, Epiphany-webkit, Arora, ...) for testing it.

Quote:
There is no DejaVu font family, the ones included in AmgaOS 4.x are "DejaVu Sans", "DejaVu Sans Mono" and "DejaVu Serif".
Additionally using sans-serif (Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif) and a serif ("Times New Roman") one for the body,td,th font-family doesn't make sense!?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
Everything has to be inline, incl. all images (img/bg_orange.png, img/logo.png, img/paypal.png). You have to use data: URLs for them.

Mmmm can you post me an example ?
The unique method that I know is to erase the IMG folder and put all files in the same directory...

Quote:
Why? Since it doesn't use anything special it works with the ancient OWB Blastoise as well and you can even test it with the AmigaOS 3.9/m68k port of OWB on UAE. Or use any other WebKit based browser (Safari, Chrome, Epiphany-webkit, Arora, ...) for testing it.

True, but now i'm sure that also OWB render it ok, mostly my doubt was about resolution and how my page fit in OWB screen

Quote:
There is no DejaVu font family, the ones included in AmgaOS 4.x are "DejaVu Sans", "DejaVu Sans Mono" and "DejaVu Serif".
Additionally using sans-serif (Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif) and a serif ("Times New Roman") one for the body,td,th font-family doesn't make sense!?

Well, it was an old class that I forget to remove, fix

P.S.
Do you know the web address or mail of Davide Calaminici ?

And more important do you plan to release an updated release anytime soon ?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@samo79

Quote:
samo79 wrote:
@nbache

Ok I create 2 different classes for the <td>, one for the links and another for the info, info are now centered, hope that this is what you want

Yep, whichever way you get there, the result is exactly what I meant. I think it looks much better this way, don't you?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nbache

Agree is better know

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@samo79

Imho it looks very nice!

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe . . .
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mason

I have to say that it's great to read a comment like that from you, also because different from you i'm not a "graphician" or whatelse, i'm only a crap webmaster !

Many thanks

Aniway, now it look ok thanks to all the feedback I receive time to time from users, also thanks goes to Marcik for the original page

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@samo79

Quote:
@joerg
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_URI_scheme

Quote:
And more important do you plan to release an updated release anytime soon ?
Yes.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

joerg wrote:
@samo79

Quote:
@joerg
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_URI_scheme

Looks like this page: http://www.scalora.org/projects/uriencoder/ can also come in handy.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache

Quote:
nbache wrote:
@joerg

Quote:Looks like this page: http://www.scalora.org/projects/uriencoder/ can also come in handy.
It's one of the external links on the wikipedia page, but another one, http://www.sveinbjorn.org/dataurlmaker , seems to be more reliable.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »