Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 75

thellier, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
Configs of many major games/demos for EUAE0.8.29 with GUI 1.4
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
As i (and not only i) read in different forums from time to time, many ppls have problems with different games and good configs for it to make it works fine and playable. So, i manage to setup many (almost all) of my favorite games from childhood, and maybe you will found something interesting for you too.

So, Configs are in 2 versions: 720 x 568 for window and 640x512 for full screen (so, its mainly for 800mhz and more cpu owners, for SAMs user i think need to change window/screen sizez). And all my description about nice/smooth/fast its based on my 1ghz peg2 (just to be sure, that on SAMs with 600mhz it will be slow).

All what you need, just download any config and put it to EUAE directory, and load by dobule click or by load buttons from GUI/Configuration that config. The only changes which you need to do with all the configs, its:

1. HARDWARE/Rom/Lickstart ROM: - there your path to kick 3.1 (3.1, not 1.3 or kind). My path are Work:EUAE/kick3.1.rom (so maybe for you will be easer just put it here too)

2. Path to ADF/DMS/ZIP of your games/demos. In my case i have everything in the work:classic_games and work:classic_demos. That one you need to change for sure, because names of archives are different all the time, some one use ZIPS, some one ADFs , so, all in all you need to change it in any case. Also have in mind, some games are more that 2 disks, so, you also need to check not only Quickstart in gui (where is 1st and 2st floppy setup only), but also Hardwae/Floppy drives (where you can setup up to 4 floppys).

In others, all the settings are in the configs, and managed to works as good as i can setup. If you need lower settings for the full-screen modes (i think for SAM users it make sense), then, just after loading of config, just change in Host/Display 720 x 658 on 320x256 , mark 2 fullscreen menu, linemode: none, centerez: smart, screentype: customscreen and mark "emulate low-resolution output" to ON.

--- GAMES ---

Agony (ESC). Config window, config full-screen.
desc: works fine/fast
keys: r-alt , T , B, F , H).

Aladdin (AGA). Config window, config full-screen.
desc: works fine, but pretty slow. That only one game, which works visibly slow with the 720x568 full-screen, and because of this, there also config for full_screen mode with 320x256 mode (which work much faster, but still, music suttering some time). If someone can make better config for, let me know plz.
keys: NumLock keyboard (num lock on) : 5 fire, 4,8,6,2 arros keys, space for change beetwen apples/knife.

Brain The Lion (AGA). Config window, config full-screen.
desc: no problems at all, fast, smooth, nice.
keys: NumLock keyboard (num lock on) : 5 fire, 4,8,6,2 arros keys.

Cannon Fodder (ESC). Config window, config full-screen,
desc: works fine/fast/smooth.
keys: mouse

Kid Chaos (AGA). Config window, config full-screen.
desc: works fine, fast, but music feels a bit slow in the 640x512 mode, so there also 320x256 full-screen config which works fast and smooth

Lion Heart (ESC). Config window, config full-screen.
desc: works/plays fast/nice.
keys: r-alt , T,B , F, H.

Lion King (AGA). Config window, config full-screen.
desc: works/plays fast/nice. that interesting, aladin and lionking almost "the same" games, but aladdin on 50% heavy than lion king by feel.

Ruff & Thumble (ESC). Config window, config full-screen.
desc: works fine/fast
keys: l-alt, up/down/left/right keys.

Slam Tilt (AGA). Config window, config full-screen.
desc: woks fine/ fast (looks like on os4.1 update 1 it faster now).
keys: f1 start game, l-alt / r-alt, l-amiga / r-amiga, enter.

Super Stardust (AGA). Config window, config full-screen.
desc: works fine/fast, except that when you start to play in game, after you finish first level, second are not starts. Thats for sure some problems with config, if anyone fix that, let me know plz. Also some little music-suttering in the menu.
keys: l-shift, up/down/left/right, enter, space.
hint: password: BZZZZZZZZZZB for start from tunnel1.

Worms (ESC). Config window, config full-screen.
desc: works smooth/fine
keys: mouse + arros keys.

--- DEMOS ---

9 fingers. Config window, config full-screen.
desc: works fine/fast, except a little sound glitches at the beginng.

Technological Death. Config window, config full-screen.
desc: works fine/fast, but the second part of demo (where piano plays and you can type letters)) are GURU, will be nice if someone will found right config for.

Hope that will helps someone.

There is games which i cant run at all:

ChaosEngine
ChaosEngine2.

Will be also nice if someone can post working config here.

Also if anyone interested in update and making more configs (just for making end-users happy, with just copy-and-run stuff), there i will upload all the new confs (and there all that current already).

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: Configs of many major games/demos for EUAE0.8.29 with GUI 1.4
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

I'm sure this will very useful, cheers mate.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

I will download EUAE+GUI this evening and how it works.

Interesting the configs files.

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

I will download EUAE+GUI this evening and see how it works.

Interesting the configs files.

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

just wondering but in Cannon Fodder do the enemies shooting canons work??...game runs great for me other than this issue..

also have you tried to get Deluxe Galaga ECS or AGA to work??

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@328gts

Not sure that i understand right about Cannon Fodder, but i plays for now in Cannon1 and Cannon2, and just complete first level (for both parts), wait for second level , play a bit and exit. All seems ok ..

I also managed to run ChaosEngineAGa for now ! (whdload version). Related to Deluxe Galaga ECS or AGA i can't found ADF image of the AGA version , maybe you can upload it somethere for try ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Here's a suggestion for a nice speedup.
Using such high fullscreen resolutions and then having gfx_lores=false and gfx_linemode=double is, in most of the cases, just overkill. Instead of - say - 640x512, use 320x256* with gfx_lores=true and gfx_linemode=none: visually the effect will be the same**, but the speed gain will be noticeable.

*Of course, you need to have such screen mode defined in the ScreenMode preferences.
**Unless the game makes use of HIRES (in which case the high resolution is required).

Edited by saimo on 2010/2/1 10:31:49
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@saimo

Yep, that is what i use for KidChaos and Aladdin (in the first post i put also these 2 320x256 configs). KidChaos in that case works very smooth and feels fast and nice, but Aladdin are not. Right now, i tryed all what you point + i also set music to Mono, and that what i have:

Aladdin AGA video on e-uae 320x256/mono on peg2/1ghz.

It more or less playable for now, but you can see how music slows a bit, and graphics itself too. Imho there is just 1ghz is not enough for. Even 1.2ghz i think will emulate Aladdin with current settings just fine/fast/smooth (imho).

Maybe you have any other ideas about how speedup it ? Maybe some nasty flags for the chipset settings, or maybe add/reduce RAM or kind .. (just to give euae more power to emulate only necessary stuff).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Kas1e

Quote:
Yep, that is what i use for KidChaos and Aladdin (in the first post i put also these 2 320x256 configs).

Well, you could use just the same also in (most of) the other cases, I'm sure

Quote:
KidChaos in that case works very smooth and feels fast and nice, but Aladdin are not. Right now, i tryed all what you point + i also set music to Mono, and that what i have:

Aladdin AGA video on e-uae 320x256/mono on peg2/1ghz.

It more or less playable for now, but you can see how music slows a bit, and graphics itself too. Imho there is just 1ghz is not enough for. Even 1.2ghz i think will emulate Aladdin with current settings just fine/fast/smooth (imho).

Maybe you have any other ideas about how speedup it ? Maybe some nasty flags for the chipset settings, or maybe add/reduce RAM or kind .. (just to give euae more power to emulate only necessary stuff).

Here are a few settings you could try:

sound_output=normal
Audio emulation will be a bit more approximated (but chances are you'll hardly notice), but faster.

sound_stereo_separation=7
Unfortunately this isn't described in the documentation, but if that "7" stands for "70%", probably setting it to 10 will cause channels to be perfectly placed to right and left, which would lessen the mixing work (provided that E-UAE is optimized for that).

gfx_vsync=false
At the price of seeing occasional image tearing, this could give a little boost.

immediate_blits=true
Permorming blits in a single go is less demanding, so always use this unless the emulated application just doesn't work.

collision_level=none
Collisions are not always needed and are very expensive to emulate: enable only if strictly needed.

cpu_compatible=false
Best CPU compatibility comes at a cost, so unable only if the applications doesn't work.

Personally, I'd forget about sound_stereo_separation and use sound_output=normal, gfx_vsync=false and collision_level=none. Then, I'd try the following:

immediate_blits=true
cpu_compatible=false

Then, if it doesn't work:

immediate_blits=true
cpu_compatible=true

immediate_blits=false
cpu_compatible=false

immediate_blits=false
cpu_compatible=true

Finally, if the game shows problems with collisions, I'd change collision_level as needed. Also, once smooth emulation is achieved, I'd try gfx_vsync=true and keep it if smoothness isn't affected.

Edited by saimo on 2010/2/1 14:45:40
Go to top
Native Look, with no blocky pixels
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
How to get a perfect A500 look with no blocky pixels on CRT monitors:

Contrary to popular belief it is possible to obtain a near native A500 look (no blocky pixels) on a computer monitor (CRT).

We are so accustomed to double-scanning that the urban legend that low resolutions must look "blocky" on (CRT) computer monitors was born, however on Amiga we have many options available (one of which is Picasso96).
Double scanning acts as some sort of "scaling" as it tries to fill all the native lines of the Monitor, but these new lines contain no new information (they are just copies of the original lines which results in huge pixels and nothing else).

If you don't do double-scanning the monitor will try to "project" the native image full screen resulting in larger spacing between lines and H/V frequencies that are not (generally) compatible with computer monitors (for ex:320x256@50hz will produce the famous 15Khz horizontal frequency) on the other hand, by sitting somewhat away from the monitor (1mt is fine to compensate for the larger spacing) the picture will look exactly the same as it does on CRT TVs, with no blocky pixels at all (assuming you get them to work)!
The solution is to keep the internal emu frequency at 50hz and use a NON-double scanned 100Hz mode, this will not speed up game play and will deliver a natural looking picture which might be compatible with some monitors (as this produces a 28Khz Horizontal frequency).

As a sure bet, use a non double scanned 120Hz mode (raises H to 32Khz more or less), I use this one myself and still get very smooth scrolling with no apparent screen tearing (Vsync problems are almost totally eliminated).

Some of the games I play with much satisfaction are Alien Breed, All Terrain Racing, Another World, Assassin, Chuck Rock, Disposable Heroes, Xenon 2 and many more.

All look native (no blocky pixels) and scroll smoothly with no sound problems (using MX3 UAE re-compile for Sam and 4.1 Update 1 on SamFlex).

P.S.
You will need a CRT monitor in order to do this, LCD monitors won't do.

Edit: remember to put the contrast of your monitor to max as these modes arerather dim. Generally those high levels of contrast produce light leakage among adjacent lines (which result in a "fuzzier" image due to blooming) but in our case it will only reduce the apparent size of the scanline themeselves (as they are larger than usual) and deliver sufficiently "lively" colors.

Edited by DAX on 2010/2/1 15:50:18
Go to top
Re: Native Look, with no blocky pixels
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@DAX

Can you give us your default uaerc or devs/monitors configuration file, because i don't understand exactly what to do (english is not my native language)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@saimo
Thanks, will try all of this now. Btw, can i setup by your glUAE running of all my whdload games by dbl-click ? (without need to start from hardfile, and press double-click on it ?) Right now i reading your docs related to glUAE, but just want to be sure that is possible :) Will be cool just dbl click on icon, and have window or full-screen game which runs very fast because of whdload. And if it can works, will it works with latest e-uae with gui ? (i think need add some kind of options to switch gui off in some scripts)

@dax
imho there is only one problem: not so many of us have CRT monitors today (for what) :)

Edited by kas1e on 2010/2/1 16:37:49
Edited by kas1e on 2010/2/1 16:48:14
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e
Widescreen LCDs are a major no no for emulation (if you care for that old fashioned "authentic" look) using a PC and a LCD I managed to play games such as D&D Shadow over Mystara at 60Fps using the best scaling filters and the image was still far from native/authentic.
Maybe I am unlucky as I have a friend that collects Jamma boards and every once in a while I go play them on his set-up (complete with 25" uncased-Arcade monitor from Hantarex) and I cannot accept anything less
You can get a cheap CRT monitor off ebay, the rewards in this field are well worth it (or get a professional converter like this one:http://www.ambery.com/uxtotvprscco.html, and connect to a 15khz CRT TV).

@shadowsun
Ok you will find them below.
If you have a G4 machine you might be interested in native screen modes for several mame/arcade HWs, you can get many of them in this Picasso96 settings file (just place it in the Devs: drawer and re-boot): http://aminet.net/package/driver/video/ID4-P96

In case you have a top range Sam (733 or 800Mhz), download this special re-compiled version from Acube's Massimiliano Tretene: http://www.soft3dev.net/games/uae_0.8.29-sam.lha (don't know if performance are acceptable on lower specked machines).
In case you get sound slow-downs/hiccups change this entry "gfx_framerate=1" to "gfx_Framerate=2" (depend on the game, the majority will work with this value set to 1).

The .uaerc settings below are intended for Sam.

#------ .uaerc -------

# Path to file containing Kickstart ROM image
kickstart_rom_file=kick1.3.rom

# If you have an encrypted ROM image from Amiga forever,
# this is a path to the key file
kickstart_key_file=rom.key

#Show status LEDs on emulator screen
show_leds=false

# Floppy image in drive 0
#floppy0=

# Floppy image in drive 1
#floppy1=RUFF2.ADF

# Joystick port emulation; none, mouse, joy0, joy1, kbd1, kbd2, kbd3
joyport0=mouse
joyport1=kbd2
#joyport1=joy1

# CPU type to emulate
cpu_type=68000
# CPU compatibility (true is slower)
cpu_compatible=false
# CPU emulation speed
# real = approx A500 speed. max = CPU emulation will run as fast as it can
cpu_speed=real

# Amiga chipset to emulate
# Can be ocs, ecs or aga
chipset=ocs
#immediate_blits=true
# Collision detection; none, sprites, playfields, full
collision_level=playfields

# Amount of chip memory to emulate
# in multiples of 512K. Thus chipmem=4 is 2MB
chipmem_size=2

# Amount of fast memory to emulate in MB
fastmem_size=0

# Sound output; none, interrupts, normal, exact
sound_output=normal

# Sound channels; mono, stereo, mixed
sound_channels=mono

# Frequency of emulated sound output in Hz
sound_frequency=22050

# Sound buffer size in bytes, default 8192
#sound_max_buff=8192

# Prompt for screen mode to use; public, custom, ask
amiga.screen_type=custom
#amiga.publicscreen=Workbench

# Don't dither
amiga.use_dither=false

#filesystem2=rw,DH0:Workbench:wb,1
#filesystem=rw,Workbench:wb
#filesystem=rw,Games:GamesADF
#filesystem=ro,UAE:amiga
#filesystem=ro,CD0:CD0:
#filesystem=rw,Apps:Apps:

gfx_framerate=1
gfx_fullscreen_amiga=true

gfx_correct_aspect=no

gfx_width_windowed=320
gfx_height_windowed=256
gfx_lores=true
gfx_linemode=none
gfx_center_horizontal=smart
gfx_center_vertical=smart

#end of .uaerc

Below the monitor settings, note that P96 modes are obviously absent (here only the 320x256@120 is important), and that H/V min/max values are set in order to allow all possible resolutions to be added even if some will NOT work:

CMPLENGTH=11
BOARDNAME=Radeon 9250
VSYNCMIN=49
VSYNCMAX=160
HSYNCMIN=26000
HSYNCMAX=125000
MODE=640x480@100
MODE=800x600@100
MODE=1024x768@100
MODE=1280x720@100
MODE=1280x800@100
MODE=1280x960@100
MODE=1280x1024@100
MODE=1600x1050@85
MODE=1600x1200@85
MODE=320x256@120
FAKENATIVEMODES=No
INTERRUPT=Yes

Edited by DAX on 2010/2/2 8:25:23
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
Btw, can i setup by your glUAE running of all my whdload games by dbl-click ? (without need to start from hardfile, and press double-click on it ?) Right now i reading your docs related to glUAE, but just want to be sure that is possible :) Will be cool just dbl click on icon, and have window or full-screen game which runs very fast because of whdload.

I don't know how WHDLoad works, but since anything can be run through glUAE (f.ex. a whole OS), I can't see why it shouldn't be possible

Quote:
And if it can works, will it works with latest e-uae with gui ?

Whether WHDLoad works doesn't depend on glUAE, but on the emulation.

BTW: E-UAE 0.8.29/1.4 accepts the same command line options of the previous versions, so glUAE keeps on working as usual.

Quote:
(i think need add some kind of options to switch gui off in some scripts)

Just put use_gui=false in the game/application's own .rc file.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@saimo

WHDload works like that (on example with SlamTilt Pinball):
There is SlamTilitAGA.info and SlamTiltAGA.Slave (2 files).
In first one (info), we have for the tool: WHDload binary (usually it placec in C:), then some must_be info which you cant change. And SlamTiltAGA.Slave, which is actul EXE file.

So, over os3.1, i just press 2 times on the SlamTiltAGA.info, and it runs (but it needs kickstart in DEVS: some bins in C:, prefs in S: and alt). Will it possible to use it with GlUAE ? (i cant change the main SlamTiltAGA.info, but i need somehow to point for GLUAE to run exacly that).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

You need to do this:
1. create a directory (let's call it game/) and put the files of both the game and WHDLoad there;
2. create a S directory in game/;
3. put a file called startup-sequence in game/S/;
4. put in startup-sequence the WHDLoad command that launches the game.

At this point, you can test if it works with glUAE_LA game.

Once you get the thing to work, you can finish it up as follows:
1. pack game/ to an .lha archive;
2. add an icon to the archive;
3. specify glUAE_ULA (or glUAE_ULASD, if the game saves data that you want to preserve) as default tool to be run from shell.

Additionally, if you have a centralized system, you can also do the following:
* you can put the WHDLoad files there, instead of in game/;
* if you don't want to use it, put a dummy file called .no_centralized_system in game/.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@saimo
But need i create in the my .rc file, these S, DEVS, etc dirs ?
For example now my script looks like that:
Quote:

kickstart_rom_file=Work:EUAE/kick3.1.rom
gfx_lores=false
gfx_linemode=double
gfx_width_windowed=640
gfx_height_windowed=512
gfx_fullscreen_amiga=false
show_leds=false
sound_output=none
use_gui=false
nr_floppies=0

So, when i double click on my .rc file, uae runs without gui. But then i think for making it works, i must write in the .rc file path to S, DEV, LIBS dirs ? Like something like that:
Quote:

filesystem2=r,system:s:s:,0

?
+ for example i have 20 games. And making for all the game the same copies of S, DEV, etc will a bit annoing, so, maybe it possible just in the .rc script write path to the right dirs, and then, having only one copy of it, for every game just copy .rc file and nothing more ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
(snip)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH, saimo

Out of GLUAE itself question, but in terms of it: It is possible somehow running from shell (in my case from startup-sequence) exactly nfo file (to grab the right tooltypes). Because WHDLoad have in tooltypes some necessary "messy" data (not plain strting, but just some kind of assembler code in hex form in it). So, reading tooltype of the icon are must. I tryed right now just run:
whdload slamtiltaga.slave and its buggy and blinking and so on, but if i press 2 times on slamtilt icon, then, no problems at all (and that is not stack related, imho that because of that necessary for Slave info from the tooltypes).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

The centralized system serves precisely the purpose of avoiding the duplications of those directories: you put all of them in a single place for all the applications that need them.

That said, games rarely need that kind of stuff. S/ is required because when glUAE is not passed an image but a directory tree, it mounts that tree as if it were a bootable volume (then, when emulation kicks in, the AmigaOS ROM reads S/startup-sequence and runs the application).
As an example, download this archive: it contains the global .uaerc file I use for E-UAE, plus a ready-to-run game of mine stored in an archive file.
Detailed instructions:
1. unpack example.lha anywhere you want;
2. put .uaerc in your E-UAE directory;
3. change the default tool to point to your glUAE_ULASD file;
4. double-click the game's icon and enjoy the game.

To understand what happens, unpack the game's archive and have a look at the files stored therein.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »