Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Amiga Guru Book petition
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Quote:

HenryCase wrote:

I've just created an online petition so we can show Ralph how much we still want a legitimate copy of the Amiga Guru Book in English. Please sign the petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/4m1ga123/petition.html
Thanks.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Re: Amiga Guru Book petition
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@orgin

signed :)
Hope it will work

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks orgin and walkero.

The petition is doing very well, currently has 35 signatures and was only created about 8 hours ago. I spread the word about it to all of the Amiga forums I am a member of, but that didn't include any non-English speaking ones, so if anyone here is a member of such a forum please spread the word there. Thank you.

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@HenryCase

It's already at Amigahellas for a long time now.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
check ralphs statement (at amigaworld.net) about the story.

byebye...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@walkero
Quote:

walkero wrote:
@HenryCase

It's already at Amigahellas for a long time now.

Awesome! Thanks a lot walkero, I can see you were the one who posted about it.

@MichaelMerkel
Quote:

MichaelMerkel wrote:
check ralphs statement (at amigaworld.net) about the story.

byebye...

The central point of his statement seems to suggest the volume of prints needed to get an offset printing run going would not be enough. To change his mind we need to find out how many copies are in a minimum offset printing run and also sign the petition so that we can show Ralph the numbers of interested parties needed exist.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
*Bump*

The petition is really close to reaching the target number of signatures now (170 signatures, as this will show more interested parties than when the newly revised book was first discussed). Obviously the more signatures the better as they will all help Ralph reconsider.

The release of this book is useful for all Amiga developers and its been really good to see the community come together under a common goal. Long may it continue.

Thanks to all those who have signed the petition already. If you haven't done so yet...
...you know it makes sense! ; )

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@HenryCase

Quote:

The central point of his statement seems to suggest the volume of prints needed to get an offset printing run going would not be enough.

Not wanting to sound negative, but in his statement he wrote:

Quote:

I appreciate your support, but this is not
a question of how many copies could be sold.

Varthall

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
182 signatures.

This does somewhat seem to be linked to principles. He seems to have been stabbed in the back but i cant see why he wouldnt at this point go ahead with the printing. Alternatively teach us german

Edited by mike on 2008/5/20 16:25:33
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Varthall wrote:
@HenryCase

Quote:

The central point of his statement seems to suggest the volume of prints needed to get an offset printing run going would not be enough.

Not wanting to sound negative, but in his statement he wrote:

Quote:

I appreciate your support, but this is not
a question of how many copies could be sold.

Varthall

I must have missed that point before, thanks Varthall. So what is driving this decision then? It's not like we are the ones who created the torrent? Why punish the needs of many due to the act of one?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@HenryCase
Quote:
I must have missed that point before, thanks Varthall. So what is driving this decision then? It's not like we are the ones who created the torrent? Why punish the needs of many due to the act of one?

Until the guy who committed the crime comes out in public and apologizes I don't think anything will happen. This has nothing to do with money and never did. Feelings have been hurt and you can't rationalize feelings.

To turn it around, why must we suffer with endless threads and pointless petitions when all that is required is a simple apology from the offender?

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ssolie

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@HenryCase
Quote:

Until the guy who committed the crime comes out in public and apologizes I don't think anything will happen. This has nothing to do with money and never did. Feelings have been hurt and you can't rationalize feelings.

To turn it around, why must we suffer with endless threads and pointless petitions when all that is required is a simple apology from the offender?

Because that would require the offender to own up to his/her actions. That is out of our control. The best thing that we can do is let Ralph know that we do not approve of this pirate's actions and would like to buy the book.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Stuck my name on, I will also pre pay.......

Wol..

Go to top

See User information
Sounds like egotistic ramblings from someone who didn't get attention from his parents. Every film made is on a torrent site before it is even finished at the movie theatre, yet alone available for rental and sale on DVD, and yet it is a VERY lucrative industry.

Amiga enthusiasts will buy anything with the word Amiga on it, so what's the guy's problem.

I won't be voting.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@A1200
That's a shame to hear. :(

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm restarting this campaign. Well I mean I never really stopped, but now I need some help again.

Let's get this out of the way now: I have been in contact with Ralph Babel, but progress has been slow. However, I do not see this as a bad sign.

The reason I am asking for help again is this: I saw two targets for the Amiga Guru Book petition, but I only mentioned one, and to be honest I thought the 170 signature target might have been overly optimistic at first (before the numbers didn't stop going up).

The second signature target I saw was to surpass the number of people who had downloaded the infamous torrent, which is around 302 people now. At the time of writing this, the petition has reached 247 signatures even though I haven't done much to promote it since we reached the 170 target.

So, a couple of things:
1. Please don't download the torrent unless you're confident it'll be the only way to easily obtain the material in the near future (the book still could be published at this point, Ralph has not told me otherwise).
2. If you haven't signed the petition yet and want to see Amiga programmers get access to one of the best (maybe even THE best, according to owners of the book) Amiga programming resources around, sign the petition.

I am duplicating this message on the following Amiga websites (in alphabetical order): amigans.net, amiga.org, amigaworld.net, AROS-Exec.org, AROSWorld.org, eab.abime.net (English Amiga Board), MorphZone.org, UtilityBase.com. I know this topic has been discussed on other Amiga forums, so please pass on this 'drumming up support' message to the places it needs to be heard. Also, does anyone know if there is a central point to discuss this issue with all those involved with UAE ports? The Amiga Guru Book should be handy for the emulation crew as well.

That's all for now. Sign on (you crazy diamonds!). ;)

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@HenryCase

I don't know. This constant mentioning of 'the torrent' is just going to make people interested in downloading it. Especially considering how the original news item was formulated. The new item just meant the following if you cut it down: "There won't be a printed version. And this is how you can get it anyway". If someone wanted to shoot his own foot then the news item was a manual on how to do it.

People have shown their interest for the printed version and the makers just has to decide whether to do it or not.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top

Register To Post