Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Game creators for SDL2
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Hello guys,
Now that SDL2 is a reality for our system, is there a game creator application for other operating systems that export to SDL2, and could be used to create games for our Amiga?

From a small search I did I didn't find something. Do you happen to know any?

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Re: Game creators for SDL2
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@walkero

SDL is not a game maker, you can't drag and drop import stuff, press save, it does not work that way.
When you make games for SDL, you write games using a text editor, and you type commands.

What you can do with SDL is draw graphics, lines, play music and sound, and so on, but beyond that you need write code.

You need write your one collision detection, you need to write your own AI's, you figure out how render the graphics.

What you might find is open source tile editors, this are programs to design level in, you might find examples of how to load files.

If you don't know how to code, I suggest you follow a youtube class, where you might learn how to make games, and where they show you some example code, but you need to understand this examples are not always the best ways or best practice. There is lots of junk on the net.

Another way to start with SDL, is to find SDL games on the internet and try to compile this. You might need make few small changes to get games running, or you might not.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2016/6/13 22:05:34
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Learning C basics would probably be the first step. As LiveForIt suggest, even YouTube is filled with all kind of tutorials that can give the basic idea.

After learning the C language, you can start using APIs such SDL, OpenGL, or of course, native AmigaOS ones.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I interpret, he means a gamegamer program that uses SDL2, so that someone can port it over to AOS4, if there is any such program...

Or did _I_ get that wrong??

EDIT:

However, maybe not according to this below, so never mind, sorry...

Quote:
that export to SDL2

AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on Sam440ep-flex, 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 Resized Image
A1200/040, 2+4MB, external 3.5''HDD / A1200 (spare) / A500+ (sold) / C128 (sold)
http://m4rko.com/AMIGA
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I am coding GMAP the Game Make Amiga Player
http://aminet.net/package/misc/emu/GMAP

When GMAP will works better it certainly will allow to program games on GameMakerStudio PC that will works on Amiga

I mean GMAP dont implement fully the GameMaker api but just the most common functions (the ones used in the Malditta Castilla game) so if you design a game that use only those functions ... it may works

For the moment I am debugging various things in GMAP but i hope to make a new working release soon
Also I have ported GMAP to Aros (yeeees... ) so it have slowed down me a few....

Alain Thellier - GMAP

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Thank you all for your replies. There are a lot of game makers out there for the rest of the platforms. What I am looking for is a game maker that provides SDL code.

Instead of go and make all the coding by yourself, there might be a game maker that does that. Maybe not! But if there is one, it would be a good way for someone to use this one and bring his own games to Amiga too.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@thellier

Bravo

X5000/40 16GB
RasperryPi 1-2-3-4-(5)
A500 Mini.