Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 92

ferrels, salass00, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »
Doesn't Seem to be Any Programing Languages for AOS4 for the Average Person
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
This is all from OS4Depot.

1. agletm2.lha ? Aglet Modula-2 compiler
I don't know about this but I tried the one below

2. agletm2ppc.lha ? Modula-2 Native PPC compiler
I need to install an SDK, I guess that's a C compiler. Like I'm capable to do that. I have no clue how, or where to get it. I am NOT able to program C.

3. amigatalksrc.lha ? AmigaTalk Source Code (Smalltalk GUI)
Don't know what this is. Read the readme on OS4Depot, didn't tell me what it was.

4. awk.lha ? awk the text processing language
Huh???

5. brandy.tar.gz ? Brandy Basic Interpreter
It has commands that don't work, and it IS NOT made for AOS. I can't make and/or open windows as I need them.

6. cbmbasic.lha ? C64 basic for AmigaOS 4.x
Great for if you want to use some old code, but it obviously isn't made for OS4.

7. distcc-bin.lha ? distcc distributed C/C++ compiler
Useless to me.

8. ecx.lha ? E compiler X
I read some of the instructions. I couldn't write one line of code with this.

9. fpc.lha ? Free Pascal Compiler - AmigaOS4 port
Haven't tried this yet.

10. lua.lha ? Lua powerful embeddable programming language
Won't work without C, it says instal the SDK.

11. perl-src.tar.bz2 ? Perl 5.8.5 AmigaOS4 src
12. perl.tar.bz2 ? Perl 5.8.5 AmigaOS4
13. php-bin.lha ? PHP 4.3.0 rc2 - AmigaOS4 binaries
14. php-src.tgz ? PHP 4.3.0 rc2 (sources)
15. php5-src.tgz ? PHP 5.1.1 for apache 1.3.34 / OS4 (sources)
Obviously not something I could write a game with.

16. ptoc.tar.gz ? Pascal to C Compiler

17. python.lha ? Python 2.4.1 for AmigaOS4.0
18. ruby.lha ? Ruby, powerful object-oriented scripting language
Haven't tried these yet. Do they control individual pixels?

19. sdlbasic.lha ? SDL Basic
Just doesn't work.

20. spidermonkey-js-bin.lha ? Mozilla Javascript interpreter
21. spidermonkey-js-src.lha ? Mozilla Javascript interpreter - sources
Not for making games.

I down loaded PortableE and I saw that it needed C SDK. So I can't use that either, besides, I saw the commands, I can't even write one line of code with it.

I bought Hollywood, but they emailed it to me in "ISO" form. I can't use that so it's been sitting on my hard drive for the last 6 months unused.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Re: Doesn't Seem to be Any Programing Languages for AOS4 for the Average Person
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
9. fpc.lha ? Free Pascal Compiler - AmigaOS4 port
Haven't tried this yet.

This is an alpha quality public binary release of the Free Pascal Compiler for AmigaOS 4 platform. It's based on the current SVN version 2.1.1. To read more about the compiler, be sure to check out the /doc directory, and if possible, http://www.freepascal.org.

About AmigaOS 4 support, it's still in an early stage, but progressing well. This release is intended for people who want to try out this new toy, and write some simple stuff in it, but

NOT YET USEFUL FOR SERIOUS DEVELOPMENT.

It only has a limited number of AmigaOS 4 specific features. You can fully use this release though to generate interface headers and such stuff to support as many AmigaOS 4 features as you want.

With the contents of this package, you should be able build new FPC for AmigaOS 4 binaries by yourself from the FPC SVN. You will also need: AmigaOS 4 SDK, recent GNU Make (gmake) and recent abc-shell.

I'd need to fool around with the SDK and it was last updated Aug 6, 2006.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist

your wasting your time whit Basic, go and learn C its the only language that can make full use of AmigaOS, besides "portable E" and PowerPC assembler.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:
2. agletm2ppc.lha ? Modula-2 Native PPC compiler
I need to install an SDK, I guess that's a C compiler. Like I'm capable to do that. I have no clue how, or where to get it. I am NOT able to program C.

Quote:
I down loaded PortableE and I saw that it needed C SDK. So I can't use that either, besides, I saw the commands, I can't even write one line of code with it.

You don't need to know any C for the above - they use some of the SDK components as part of the compilation chain. Installing the SDK is easy - just download, extract and run the installer - the defaults should be ok. Unfortunately the SDK is currently unavailable as Hyperion's website is down.

You missed ARexx from your list. It's not really designed for games though.
As for Python, there is a PyGame module but I don't know if it is possible to use it on OS4 - I've never bothered with Python, it doesn't appear to offer any advantages over the language it is trying to replace, yet manages to look much more complicated.

Quote:

I bought Hollywood, but they emailed it to me in "ISO" form. I can't use that so it's been sitting on my hard drive for the last 6 months unused.

Why can't you use it? I'll take a guess that you don't have a CD writer, in which case OS4 updates are going to be a problem too.

Anyway, you don't need one - diskimage.device can read ISO images, so use that and install it from there. Hollywood is probably your best bet given the requirements.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

8. ecx.lha ? E compiler X
I read some of the instructions. I couldn't write one line of code with this.

well... e is quite a easy language, if you already have trouble with this, i am not sure if you will find a programming language that suites you.

Quote:

17. python.lha ? Python 2.4.1 for AmigaOS4.0
Haven't tried these yet. Do they control individual pixels?

python is a nice language and pygame is great for games programming, but as far as i know there is no pygame port for amiga os4, so if you want program games or demos, python is currently no good choice on os4.

unfortunatly i am also waiting for (re)availability of the amiga os4 c sdk. as long this is not available, i think amiga e would be the best alternative for now. it is really not so hard, maybe you just startet from a wrong point, i would suggest to further investigate amiga e or to wait for the c sdk

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist

AmiBlitz is maybe the best basic launuage you can get that will work on AmigaoS4.x, it does not produce native PowerPC machine code, but thats the only disadvantage.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

Amiga development is a joke. Sorry to say this.

Amiga OS 4.x
- C only, no ide,no compatibility w/ OS3

AmigaOS 3.x
- C - hard to set up headers, OS 3 only
- ASM old tools, hardware banging
- basic old tools, hardware banging

No open source GFX library to support different systems / RTG.

Its time for an open source SDK developer suite thats compatible with most systems.

At present AmigaE/PortableE is compatible across Amigas, but GFX/SND portability (open source) is not available.

NO Developer suite, that compiles ASM/C/Basic for classic AmigaOS 3.x / 4.x/ AROS/Amikit.

The ULTIMATE Amiga compatible / portable developer suite.

This will make Amiga popular again.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Well, C is the only truly cross-plattform programming language and GCC is *the* cross-plattform compiler.

And while there really is no point in supporting OS3.x from within the OS4 SDK it is well documented what functions are new.

Cross Amiga-ish? Use VBCC.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@angelheart

Quote:

NO Developer suite, that compiles ASM/C/Basic for classic AmigaOS 3.x / 4.x/ AROS/Amikit.

that is because it is impossible, impracticable and is not a amiga specific problem.

aros alone can run on dozens of completely different cpus and architectures, if runs under linux, os 3 means 68k cpu and custom chips for graphics, whereas os4 usually means ppc + modern pci graphics cards.

assembler is dead unless you make a hobby project for a specific old platform. basic... err.. sucks, and c never was and never will be a code once run anywhere solution.

through sdl there is a opensource sound and graphics library available for all amiga platforms - although support for os3 was discontinued... but well... i don't think os3 running video/audio hardware will change much in the next years ;)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Atheist

[snip] .. Forget my reply. Somehow I missed that you want to create games. ARexx is not for you.

---
redfox

Edited by redfox on 2009/1/11 22:24:47
Edited by redfox on 2009/1/12 4:39:41
Edited by redfox on 2009/1/12 4:41:32
Edited by redfox on 2009/1/12 4:43:18
Edited by redfox on 2009/1/12 4:46:35
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@angelheart
Quote:
Amiga OS 4.x
- C only,

The number of languages listed above that can be found on OS4depot refutes this statement.

Quote:
no compatibility w/ OS3

Where do you get that from? You can write code that runs on OS1,2,3 or 4, but obviously won't be able to use features added by a later version if you want it to run on a previous version.

That's called "progress", I believe.

AmigaOS, MorphOS and AROS all have different people with different ideas leading them and moving them forwards, so although they all share a common ancestry, it is inevitable that it will become more and more difficult to maintain cross-compatibility whilst using the latest features of each OS. Again, that's progress.

You can use Cubic as an IDE on all these platforms quite easily.

Also, Hollywood supports all of these platforms.

Happiness is mandatory
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Atheist

10. It doesn't need the SDK unless you want to embed/link Lua with C. Start the interpreter.

ISO: burn it onto a disc.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@god64

Quote:

that is because it is impossible, impracticable and is not a amiga specific problem.

I dont think it is impossible.
Impractible ? Dont think so. Until all Amiga users have a SAM/PPC based machine then maybe.

How long do you think it will take for all Amiga users to get a SAM ? a year ? 2 years ?

Assuming SAM is still here in 2 years and no new hardware is released.

Not an Amiga specific problem ? R you joking ?

Do you think new users who want to program for Amiga will only rely on the OS4.x SDK documentation ?

Im sure new users will rely on the thousands of code/documentation on Aminet / Internet.

Unless you know somebody going to update all the code / docs... good luck.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Atheist

Anyway, what kind of a game you are planning?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@yoodoo2

Quote:

The number of languages listed above that can be found on OS4depot refutes this statement.

The Amiga OS 4.x SDK is C focused, does it have ASM includes included now ?

Quote:

Where do you get that from? You can write code that runs on OS1,2,3 or 4, but obviously won't be able to use features added by a later version if you want it to run on a previous version.

I get it from facts and asking OS4 developers to port to OS3.x.

The common reply is :

Im sorry OS4.1 source uses a library structure or OS4.1 only commands and it wont be possible to port to Amiga OS3.x.

This and the statements, OS4.1 is the future, everything else is obsolete, this is the direction Amiga is going...

Reality is not compatible to Amiga OS 3.x.

Note. Im not questioning the reasoning behind the decision for AmigaOS 4.1 only code/progs.

Stating the reality as it is now.

You may call it 'progress' its also called incompatibility.

Quote:

AmigaOS, MorphOS and AROS all have different people with different ideas leading them and moving them forwards, so although they all share a common ancestry, it is inevitable that it will become more and more difficult to maintain cross-compatibility whilst using the latest features of each OS. Again, that's progress.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Looks a bit like Amiga Linux. Is this where we are heading ? Dilution, fragmentation. looks rosy. I must be wrong then. I am worried about stupid things.

Everything is fine.

Developers are doing great. keep up the good work.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@angelheart

There is absolutely no reason that an OS3.x application cannot be created in C with the current OS4.x SDK.

More is the question of why would a developer want to downgrade their code to support an old and outdated OS version.

I code for OS4.x as a baseline, because I can use all the nice new functions in the later release, and make use of all those BOOPSI classes that only do what I want under 4.x. To be able to make my applications run under 3.x would mean seriously downgrading functionality in order to support it.

So, do I cripple my software in order to keep a level of compatibility which, to me, is a waste of time, or do I continue to look forward and make use of everything available to me?

(It's is a hypothetical question, I don't really need an answer to that - thanks )

Simon

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@angelheart

Quote:
I get it from facts and asking OS4 developers to port to OS3.x.

The common reply is :

Im sorry OS4.1 source uses a library structure or OS4.1 only commands and it wont be possible to port to Amiga OS3.x.

This and the statements, OS4.1 is the future, everything else is obsolete, this is the direction Amiga is going...

Reality is not compatible to Amiga OS 3.x.

If you are asking people who have invested time in writing something intended to be for OS4 only, that is the reply you will get. If you write for OS4, there are newer functions which can do resource tracking etc, and also other functions which make things easier.

Basically, if it has already been written with the intention of running on OS4 only, you end up having to rewrite bits of it for OS3. This can be a lot more work than you think.

Chris

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Atheist

We don't have any "average" people. This is the Amiga world, where C has been the language of choice since 1985.
BASIC was only ever partly supported to wean C64 owners to the new machines. IIRC, it didn't even work in WB V2 and above. Nobody uses BASIC for games, and never has done (apart from a few ping-pong type games for C64).

@angelheart

It's easy to write code that runs on any 68K or PPC machine (OS4 or MOS), you just have to use the old APIs. But if you are an OS4 or MOS developer, you'll probably use some of the bells and whistles that your favourite OS provides, making it difficult to port.

If you consider that a problem, it's the fault of the author, not the OS.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

This is a terrible waste. Hollywood is probably the closest thing that would satisfy what you are looking to accomplish, while at the same time being very easy to understand and use. I think coding with Hollywood is even easier than scripting with ARexx (though this is probably because I've spent more time working with Hollywood than ARexx).

Anyway, if you can dive into Hollywood, you will not be disappointed!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hollywood can be also compared to LUA for many concepts behind it like tables for example.

Lua has been my favourite language for years but when I've put my hand on Hollywood, well... :)

If you are looking for a simple to understand and very powerfull language you should find the time to install the ISO you've got.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »